brand new to ebikes, doing a lot of research, suggestions? budget 4k or less, prefer foldable with good features.

kingfitz

Region
USA
Hi all, could use some help sifting through the plethora options. Im from USA, slim build 6 ft 140 lbs, brand new to the ebike scene. Trying to keep budget under 3k, maybe 5k at most. Live in a mountainous area, looking for a trail / some mountain biking (nothing too hardcore), and some city commute, range of like 30+ miles would be nice.

Preferred featuers:
- Foldable (open to non folding)
- less than 50 lbs. 60 max
- Front suspension, rear / seat also if possible
- 500 or 750 Watt motor and good battery
- class 2 / 3 switchable, up to 20-28mph, w throttle
- puncture resistant tires (dont have to be 4 inch fatties)
- regenerative charging features
- minimalist stealthy ebike design
- easily serviceable / replaceable parts

I know thats a lot of features to ask for but Im kind of after a high end all terrain bike under 5k thats going to last me a long time and have some power to climb some steeper stuff occasionally. Im just lost on the myriad choices and do not want to make the wrong purchase to regret later and have to sell the bike. I was looking at the Sondors Smart Step offered on costco online, but after some research I knew I wanted something better. Any suggestions be appreciated thanks.

Kingfitz

If DYI isn't for you there are companies that convert Montague bikes as well as their own factory electric bike. But no F/S.
Worth checking the Montague brand forum on here.

for what you want i would advice you give up on the folding and the regenerative breaks! if you live in the friggin mountains get something with a mid drive! i know your not heavy but if your climbing huge hills i would still go mid drive! If you like Sonders go with one of their middrives!

Folding adds weight and has less strength than a diamond frame. Regenerative braking, the vast majority of the time is found on direct drive hub motors, which are very heavy (I have one). Those two options aren't really compatible with bikes under 50 pounds.

If the class (1,2,3) thing is important to you where you ride, or if you have any local enforcement of classes, by most laws they aren't switchable. Some law enforcement have databases they go by, so it's not just a visual check. It's still mostly unenforced, but getting more strict.

With so many options and considering your budget you won't have any problem finding an ebike. Best of luck in your search.

Last edited:
thanks for that folks. I looked into Montague and those definitely look nice. The DIY stuff is a bit beyond me, no way I could put it together on my own, so Id have to get one already converted. Found a video of a converted paratrooper along those lines , looks sweet.
. Mainly after portability (fit in subaru for now), durability, comfort (cushy seat and suspension) , power and range, A Paratrooper is around 28 lbs so with a motor and battery added that may increase to 42 lbs or so, which is fine.

By the way Im not super up to snuff on a mid drive vs rear motor and the pros and cons of each setup, if anyone cares to elucidate.

thanks for that folks. I looked into Montague and those definitely look nice. The DIY stuff is a bit beyond me, no way I could put it together on my own, so Id have to get one already converted. Found a video of a converted paratrooper along those lines , looks sweet.
. Mainly after portability (fit in subaru for now), durability, comfort (cushy seat and suspension) , power and range, A Paratrooper is around 28 lbs so with a motor and battery added that may increase to 42 lbs or so, which is fine.

By the way Im not super up to snuff on a mid drive vs rear motor and the pros and cons of each setup, if anyone cares to elucidate.
Mids vs hubs is like how much power. No right answer, and many threads on here that explain (belabor) both sides of the question. Use the search "Mid" "Hub" and jump in on any thread that seems interesting. We are a friendly bunch. Check the new electric Montague ME-1 as well. They were in stock and shipping recently.

I think Im set on a mid drive after watching videos, the power is indeed better as well as simplifying tire changes vs a hub motor. Thanks Dewey for pointing me in the right direction, the converted Montague seems to be the optimal answer.

Back