Bought a new DeLite Vario highspeed yesterday

Got it at ElectriCity Bikes in northern Washington DC. Had two different stickers of price - $7,550 and $7,260, yet propel lists it at $8,289..? Ended up paying $6k after some handlebar and seat changes. Went in after a Homage, but didn't have any, and after the stem and handlebars, ended up getting the more upright seating position I was after.

The difference between the e-Rohloff and the Vario was noticeable at top speed - the Rohloff was easier to break past 20mph on; the Vario is more work than i'm willing to put into a ride to get much past 23mph. Pedaling speed/cadence didn't seem to be an issue (I didn't feel like I was pedaling free-wheel); more like parasitic losses. Sad, as I was hoping for 28mph all day, and while that seems possible on a Rohloff, the discount I got ruled out any other choices. Hopefully the Vario breaks up a bit.

Headlight is great but isn't a SuperNova M99, doesn't have high beam/low beam, and when you hit the brakes the brake lights don't come on.. I'm thinking I got last year's model? Also it came with Shimano Deore XT brakes, where propel & r-m.de list the brakes as Magura MT4's? No Spanniga horn either. I'm not sure what's going on with these things - what are you thoughts?

Can you just stick a Kiox on in place of the current display?

Thanks for your opinion.

Last edited:
Got it at ElectriCity Bikes in northern Washington DC. Had two different stickers of price - $7,550 and $7,260, yet propel lists it at $8,289..? Ended up paying $6k after some handlebar and seat changes. Went in after a Homage, but didn't have any, and after the stem and handlebars, ended up getting the more upright seating position I was after.

The difference between the e-Rohloff and the Vario was noticeable at top speed - the Rohloff was easier to break past 20mph on; the Vario is more work than i'm willing to put into a ride to get much past 23mph. Pedaling speed/cadence didn't seem to be an issue (I didn't feel like I was pedaling free-wheel); more like parasitic losses. Sad, as I was hoping for 28mph all day, and while that seems possible on a Rohloff, the discount I got ruled out any other choices. Hopefully the Vario breaks up a bit.

Headlight is great but isn't a SuperNova M99, doesn't have high beam/low beam, and when you hit the brakes the brake lights don't come on.. I'm thinking I got last year's model? Also it came with Shimano Deore XT brakes, where propel & r-m.de list the brakes as Magura MT4's? No Spanniga horn either. I'm not sure what's going on with these things - what are you thoughts?

Can you just stick a Kiox on in place of the current display?

Thanks for your opinion.

Greetings from College Park. Sounds like a 2018 model. The MT4s, horn etc are new for 2019.
Currently, Bosch is not supporting a Intuvia -> Kiox upgrade, only Purion -> Intuvia.

Since you were just there, how many bikes did ElectricCityBkes have out on the floor?

Greetings from College Park. Sounds like a 2018 model. The MT4s, horn etc are new for 2019.
Currently, Bosch is not supporting a Intuvia -> Kiox upgrade, only Purion -> Intuvia.

Since you were just there, how many bikes did ElectricCityBkes have out on the floor?

I guess the pricing is new for 2019; if you watch Cort's review of the bike it was even less in 2017.

RE: Bikes on the floor:
I only spent time on the southern half of the building - I do not know what is over on the other side; appeared to be kids bikes, lance armstrong's or other non-ebikes.

I saw 4ish Specialized Como's, 5ish Gazelle's, 6 R&M's. I rode just about everything - Charlie was great to work with actually. At one point my wife and I had $17k worth of bikes out test driving them.. he was literally pushing us out the door on them without asking!

Throughout my extensive test riding, I began to notice the next building south was like the overflow/hub for all of ElectriCityBikes, and had dozens of them in it; this was Tenleytown not Adams Morgan. So I'm betting he's got even more than I saw, although probably the same models.

He had 1-2 Nevo's, at least 1 DeLite, 1 Supercharger, 1 Culture, 1 Multicharger, 1 Load 60. When discussing the DeLite I bought, he said to act fast, as he only had "a few left" which I came to believe are in that southerly building I noticed. The Nevo's, Culture and DeLite were all HS Varios; the Supercharger was a HS Rohloff. He said he had a few Homage on the way (probably should have waited, but also would have paid MSRP.)

Plus one for electricity bikes I definitely wouldn’t have bought one if it weren’t for the amount of test riding that they allowed for me. In comparison to a dealer in Colorado when I first started looking was night and day; where I could barely get it on an unsupervised test ride electricity give it to me for multiple days over multiple weekends. Hope the bike works out well for you.

Back