Boomerang vs. Inceptor

KimB

Region
USA
I tried out an Inceptor Platinum and a regular Boomerang yesterday. I was hoping to find a Boomerang Platinum but the dealer near me didn't have one and couldn't get one. I will mostly ride on beach (our beach is hard sand) and state parks. Both were easy to drive. I had been thinking trike but, once on these, I changed my mind. I liked the placement of the Inceptor handlebars. I have a chronic shoulder issue and could feel no pain whatsoever and it allowed me to sit upright to avoid back and neck strain. I love the Boomerang but really wanted to compare Inceptor against Boomerang Platinum. There are things I like about the Boomerang but that platinum suspension really made the ride more comfortable. I have no need to go faster than 15 mph.

Any opinions? I really need a dealer who can do repairs/maintenance and this shop is only 20 minutes away. I also love the EZ Fold XT. I drive a Honda Passport and live in a condo where we park on the floor we live but no garage. I live on first floor thankfully. We have an air conditioned bike room with charge stations. Quite a few people have mopeds and ebikes here.

I also have a Honda Passport and use the Thule EasyFold bike carrier for my Boomerang and my wife's Interceptor. I have a regular Boomerang and after putting a couple hundred miles on it, I wish I would have bought the Platinum for the front suspension fork and more gears.

In 2018, my wife and I tested both the Boomerang and Interceptor models. Initially, my wife liked the Boomerang for it's ultra low step design but she changed her mind when she rode the more comfortable Platinum Interceptor. We eventually bought 3 of them. The Boomerang Platinum with front suspension wasn't available back then or she may have chosen that model.

The Boomerang Platinum would likely be a more comfortable bike for you but they are very popular and hard to find right now.

One thing to consider to improve the ride of the Boomerang is to replace it's fairly uncomfortable spring suspension seat post with a better quality product like Kinekt or Redshift. There are also suspension stems available which can compensate for the lack of front suspension. Your dealer should be able to help you with this.

So far, after 4 seasons, we're both happy with our Platinum Interceptors. My wife has back issues and, like you, she can ride pain free due to the handlebar placement.

Keep in mind, both the Boomerang and Interceptor models have throttles and are considered class 2 bikes. Many locations, including state & national parks, allow only throttle-less class 1 bikes. You may want to check the laws in the areas you plan to ride. It should be noted however that enforcement of these class laws is quite lax. For now anyway, if you ride responsibly, you shouldn't have any trouble with a class 2 bike. You may want to discuss this with your dealer though.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your choice!

Finally, a dealer in Florida has a Boomerang Platinum. It's about 90 minutes away. My local dealer located it. I'm going to try it out on Monday. I also like the Thule EZ Fold XT which my local dealer sells for the same price as Amazon. He thought it would be easiest for me to load the bike using that.

I ended up buying the Boomerang Platinum yesterday. I don't have the Thule EZ Fold XT yet because I need to get the trailer hitch installed on my Passport.

Thank you all so much for replying on this thread and my other thread. It helped immensely.

I ended up buying the Boomerang Platinum yesterday. I don't have the Thule EZ Fold XT yet because I need to get the trailer hitch installed on my Passport.

Thank you all so much for replying on this thread and my other thread. It helped immensely.
Good luck with your new Pedego! I hope you are as happy with yours as I am with mine.

I also have a Honda Passport and use the Thule EasyFold bike carrier for my Boomerang and my wife's Interceptor. I have a regular Boomerang and after putting a couple hundred miles on it, I wish I would have bought the Platinum for the front suspension fork and more gears.
[/QUO
UPDATE: Now after a year and over 500 miles, I traded-in my regular Boomerang for a Platinum Boomerang with the new 52v 17.5a battery. I really enjoy the smoother ride with the front suspension fork and the thudbuster seat post. The torque sensing and 10-speeds really make a difference, and I like that I can switch to cadence sensing if I want to. I wish the Platinum models had a choice of colors. My regular Boomerang was metallic red.

I tried out an Inceptor Platinum and a regular Boomerang yesterday. I was hoping to find a Boomerang Platinum but the dealer near me didn't have one and couldn't get one. I will mostly ride on beach (our beach is hard sand) and state parks. Both were easy to drive. I had been thinking trike but, once on these, I changed my mind. I liked the placement of the Inceptor handlebars. I have a chronic shoulder issue and could feel no pain whatsoever and it allowed me to sit upright to avoid back and neck strain. I love the Boomerang but really wanted to compare Inceptor against Boomerang Platinum. There are things I like about the Boomerang but that platinum suspension really made the ride more comfortable. I have no need to go faster than 15 mph.

Any opinions? I really need a dealer who can do repairs/maintenance and this shop is only 20 minutes away. I also love the EZ Fold XT. I drive a Honda Passport and live in a condo where we park on the floor we live but no garage. I live on first floor thankfully. We have an air conditioned bike room with charge stations. Quite a few people have mopeds and ebikes here.
I know this is very late (I just saw the thread), but a bit of background - I bought a boomerang and loved it. But over time, two problems arose - pain in my nether regions, hands, neck, and shoulders, a a shimmy in the front wheel when going down steeper hills. I was to later learn that the shimmy was a well-known problem for Pedego - they just didn't see it as worthwhile to fix. I had tried multiple saddles for the other issue w/o benefit, when I learned how to fit bicycles. My Pedego dealership didn't - so I approached them as to the absurdity of this. Eventually, they gave me a $1000 discount on a new bike, and I chose to use the commuter platform for the frame and the Commuter Black components (I dislike black bikes for safety reasons). Ironically, the new Pedego bikes all have the adjustable stems that I told them would have solved most of the issues with the Boomerang, a fact they disputed (but which let me fit the new bike to my 5'6" frame). I'm not thrilled with the ethics of the dealerships, but the bikes are excellent. I put on ergonomic grips and a top-end suspension seat post, and the outcome is wonderful. I rarely have any discomfort at all. Fit the bikes! lol

Back