BMC Alpenchallenge AMP E-bikes

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
Since there is no separate BMC thread, I thought I would post it in the Stromer (former BMC) forum.

Last year BMC launched the Trailfox series of E-MTB's. This year, they are launching hybrid and urban E-bikes.

https://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/bmc-alpenchallenge-amp-range-52516/

Cool thing is, the bikes weigh just 33lbs with a 500Whr battery. Carbon frame gives a super sleek look. Brooks saddle and grips = hint of classic styling.

A review of one of the bikes: https://www.bikeradar.com/commuting...bmc-alpenchallenge-amp-city-ltd-review-52084/

BMC Alpenchallenge.jpg

I'd like to see that bike hanging from a scale before I believe it weighs 33 lbs.. The motor and battery must weigh at least 15 lbs. and not many bikes of that type weigh 18 lbs. even with at carbon fiber frame.

I understand that a lighter bike would be more nimble, but honestly one of the main appeals to me of ebikes is the fact that weight doesn't really matter that much. Traditional cyclists spend crazy money to get the lightest components possible because the weight slows them down. On an ebike it's not an issue. When I used to ride traditional bikes exclusively I packed as light as possible and only carried the most essential stuff when I went for a ride. Now I find that unless I'm going to have to park the bike somewhere unattended, I often leave my charger in the panniers along with tools, rain gear, etc.

The BMC MTB line is appealing for a lot of reasons, but if I were to buy another city-style ebike made by BMC I'd buy another Stromer.

I just wanted to add a picture of my new "BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Cross LTD" bike you mentioned above. I haven't prepared a review yet, but I can say, this bike is nothing I have ridden before. With its weight of 15kg its super light and the position of the battery supports a naturally "biking" riding feeling. The AMP Cross is kind of softtail with its MTT (micro) suspension you can spot at the beginning of the seatstays. Its all carbon frame gives me a well defined feeling on the bike.
Best of all (for me), this bike encourages you to pedal by yourself after the motor stops its support. The 25km/h limit here in Europe is not a hard cut-off feeling wise, I can go easily beyond and let the motor kick in on uphill sections to support my pedalling.

when I saw it end of June, I knew that I have to get one. I just love it... :-D

IMG_2976.jpg

I just wanted to add a picture of my new "BMC Alpenchallenge AMP Cross LTD" bike ...

Really beautiful bike. Wonder if they will be available in the USA. It looks like from the photo there are no rack/fender bosses. Looks like it would be a brilliant commuter if it had some ability to carry some stuff. But maybe BMC has another similar model planned for that?

Really beautiful bike. Wonder if they will be available in the USA. It looks like from the photo there are no rack/fender bosses. Looks like it would be a brilliant commuter if it had some ability to carry some stuff. But maybe BMC has another similar model planned for that?

There is. The AMP (Amplified) line has 3 models, Sport, City and Cross. The City Model has Curana Fenders by default
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

and they can be ordered for the other models as well. I use the bike for commuting daily (48km) and have ordered the custom fenders too but I liked to start with the default tires (WTB Nano, 700-40C) to get the feeling for it.

The Sport, City and Cross differ slightly in their drivetrains and tires/wheels. The City also has a head light from Supernova (Mini 2) out of the box that is integrated nicely using BMCs ICS cockpit mounts
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/innovation/ics-integrated-cockpit-system/

Since I liked to have the stock electronic Shimano Di2 shifter and the color of this bike more than on the other bikes, I've choosen the Cross LTD and added also a Supernova M99 Mini Pro and a bell.

To have the fenders installed I'll have to reduce the tire width a bit I think; as I usually be prepared for rain and the like with proper cloths ,we also have some serious Snow here in Switzerland, I might go without the fenders as I like the look so far.

As far as I can see, a rack would be a bit harder to install. I thought about a seat pack for cloths but since I carry a Laptop, I go with a backpack most of the time. I attach a few more pics below...

Added a Spurcycle bell and a Supernova M99 Mini Pro

Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 15.35.04.jpg

Just love how this logo looks
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 15.36.01.jpg

and from the back. Added a fly6 light/dashcam as rear-light. For the Wahoo Elemnt Bolt bike computer I need perhaps a more streamlined mount.
Screen Shot 2018-09-09 at 15.35.37.jpg

There is. The AMP (Amplified) line has 3 models, Sport, City and Cross. The City Model has Curana Fenders by default
(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Yes, brilliant bikes and thanks for posting. BMC is taking e-bike design where it needs to go (lighter, more integrated etc...). I'm really intrigued by these bikes and their vibration dampening system.

Marcellanz-

This really looks like a sweet bike indeed. Have been waiting for an under 35lb E-bike with some power and this one looks like it ticks all of the boxes. Hope it becomes available in the USA sometime soon. Would also be nice if they had a class 3 (28mph) version for some of us who want the extra speed for short/fast commutes. Thanks for posting. Looks like a winner!

Last edited:
Marcellanz-

This really looks like a sweet bike indeed. Have been waiting for an under 35lb E-bike with some power and this one looks like it checks all of the boxes. Hope it becomes available in the USA sometime soon. Would also be nice if they had a class 3 (28mph) version for some of us who want the extra speed for short/fast commutes. Thanks for posting. Looks like a winner!

As BMC is a Swiss company there is actually a U.S. Website for the AMP model line (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) I assume then they will bring them to the U.S. market too (stock is marked as: Coming This Fall). I've got mine with the very first production batch, and where I don't know for sure, I think they made them especially to get ready to the "Interbike 2018" expo. I ordered mine in mid July and for weeks where told that it would ship in December of even next year; so I was happy to get one early. The AMP is therefore a 2019 Model line.

For sure, I would like to see @Court having it reviewed (as I enjoy all his reviews constantly).

About the 20mph (45km/h in Europe) I don't know. I for myself am totally happy with the 25km/h (~16mph) version. It makes this bike a bicycle in the sense of a old style bicycle. Since I commute with this bike, I can go easily over the 25km/h after the motor stops its support and then I have a light and usable bike to ride with. My heartbeat rate is, compared to the trekking ebike I hd before, 10-15 beats per minutes higher with this bike. This has the nice effect of a better exercise and also more out of the bike. If I would change the tires to more of a road bike, it would be even easier.

The trekking ebike I had before was so heavy (it felt like to drive the bike in honey or so) when the motor turned off at the speed limit; I wouldn't go further with higher speed and just "float" on the 25km/h to get motor support constantly.

With the AMP Cross its more like of a continuous flow and I can go up to 30km/h easily or even higher. In any case, to have a 28mph version would only be a configuration change on the shimano motor unit and homologation in the country to use it I think. The frame, breaks and its build overall is ready for sure for higher speed. The bike rides like to drive on a sharp well defined line wherever you drive it to.

As BMC is a Swiss company there is actually a U.S. Website for the AMP model line (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) I assume then they will bring them to the U.S. market too (stock is marked as: Coming This Fall). I've got mine with the very first production batch, and where I don't know for sure, I think they made them especially to get ready to the "Interbike 2018" expo. I ordered mine in mid July and for weeks where told that it would ship in December of even next year; so I was happy to get one early. The AMP is therefore a 2019 Model line.

For sure, I would like to see @Court having it reviewed (as I enjoy all his reviews constantly).

About the 20mph (45km/h in Europe) I don't know. I for myself am totally happy with the 25km/h (~16mph) version. It makes this bike a bicycle in the sense of a old style bicycle. Since I commute with this bike, I can go easily over the 25km/h after the motor stops its support and then I have a light and usable bike to ride with. My heartbeat rate is, compared to the trekking ebike I hd before, 10-15 beats per minutes higher with this bike. This has the nice effect of a better exercise and also more out of the bike. If I would change the tires to more of a road bike, it would be even easier.

The trekking ebike I had before was so heavy (it felt like to drive the bike in honey or so) when the motor turned off at the speed limit; I wouldn't go further with higher speed and just "float" on the 25km/h to get motor support constantly.

With the AMP Cross its more like of a continuous flow and I can go up to 30km/h easily or even higher. In any case, to have a 28mph version would only be a configuration change on the shimano motor unit and homologation in the country to use it I think. The frame, breaks and its build overall is ready for sure for higher speed. The bike rides like to drive on a sharp well defined line wherever you drive it to.

marcellanz-
Thanks for your reply and a breakdown of the bike's functionality. Yes, I am hopeful that Court makes it over to the BMC booth and is able to have a discussion with the reps in regards to the BMC E-bike line. I see they have the Sport One and LTD with much higher level of components. Perhaps a speed motor for a bike in this weight class might be a bit much considering what you have experienced beyond 30km/h on this bike. I probably would be happy with a class 1 at 20mph here in the USA.

I was also curious about the proprietary rear suspension on this bike. Does it smooth out the rough road to your satisfaction opposed to traditional rear suspension or even a body float, etc?

I also checked some local BMC USA dealer websites for this series, and they all indicate these are in 'backorder status'. Ride safe!

marcellanz-
Thanks for your reply and a breakdown of the bike's functionality. Yes, I am hopeful that Court makes it over to the BMC booth and is able to have a discussion with the reps in regards to the BMC E-bike line. I see they have the Sport One and LTD with much higher level of components. Perhaps a speed motor for a bike in this weight class might be a bit much considering what you have experienced beyond 30km/h on this bike. I probably would be happy with a class 1 at 20mph here in the USA.

I was also curious about the proprietary rear suspension on this bike. Does it smooth out the rough road to your satisfaction opposed to traditional rear suspension or even a body float, etc?

I also checked some local BMC USA dealer websites for this series, and they all indicate these are in 'backorder status'. Ride safe!

20mph would be nice.
Regarding the suspension called MTT (Micro Travel Technology)
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/innovation/mtt-micro-travel-technology/

its about 10mm of travel you get. I can't compare it to traditional rear suspension as I never rode one. It feels defined and non disturbing as I like to have not too much get bumping around with a bike.

here is a video (not mine) where you can see MTT in action:

there also 3 different Types of these polymer dampers, Soft, Middle and Hard you can choose from.

20mph would be nice.
Regarding the suspension called MTT (Micro Travel Technology)
https://www.bmc-switzerland.com/int-en/innovation/mtt-micro-travel-technology/

its about 10mm of travel you get. I can't compare it to traditional rear suspension as I never rode one. It feels defined and non disturbing as I like to have not too much get bumping around with a bike.

here is a video (not mine) where you can see MTT in action:

there also 3 different Types of these polymer dampers, Soft, Middle and Hard you can choose from.

Looks like some well thought out engineering concepts on the proprietary suspension from BMC. Nice system that appears to fit the bike well paired with a carbon frame. Liking it more and more. Thanks for posting.

Hi marcellanz,

Thanks for posting your pictures and all the details of your new Alpen cross.

I'm seriously considering one of these so thought I would ask how your getting on with it?

I'm torn between the commuter "green" bike but like you I'm drawn more to the "blue" as I like the look and electric gear change.

I have a 10 mile e/w commute on road/paths with lots of thorns and branches on so as I said I'm leaning more towards the cross version but would be interested in your thoughts after a month or so of owning the bike?

How are you getting on with charging (how far do you get on one charge?) and what pressures do you run the tyres? are you still thinking of going for the narrower tyres?

Any feedback would be appreciated before I get this ordered.

I have several other bikes but really like the idea of this for days where my legs are tired from long weekend rides or I'm generally tired but still want to ride rather than drive.

Thanks

Blue

Hi Blue

I'm still happy, actually very happy with this bike. I use it daily for my commute (2x48km / 2x30mi) and the cross bike is perfect for my usecase. I think the Cross LTD is functionally the most advanced of the six models. Sport, City and Cross have each two models, ONE and LTD.

Initially I wanted to have the City model but then found to have more/better equipment with the cross. I ordered the fenders separately and installed a "Supernova M99 mini" headlight, which is very good an even better for my commute than the smaller "Supernova Mini2" that is on the City model.

Since the frame for the Sport, City and Cross is (as far as I can see) the same for all models; you can change tires and add fenders on a Cross and you'll get a Blue City Bike with even better Saddle (IMO), breaks saddle and gearshifter.

Tire-wise the Cross and Sport do have the same SwissDT Tire (DT SWISS AMP 1600 Spline db 32) which enables you to go very small on tires. So with this in mind, I made the decision to get the Cross LTD, the fenders if I need them anytime afterwards and even perhaps having a second wheel-set with smaller tires to switch.

>I'm torn between the commuter "green" bike but like you I'm drawn more to the "blue" as I like the look and electric gear >change.
The blue is wonderful and the bike, even if its dirty. The blue gets even better in the sunlight.

> I have a 10 mile e/w commute on road/paths with lots of thorns and branches on so as I said I'm leaning more towards the >cross version but would be interested in your thoughts after a month or so of owning the bike?

Parts of my commute include some gravel roads and both ways 350-400m uphill sections. I like the wider tires there a lot. With an eBike the "power-loss" you have especially under the 25km/h because of such wide tires vanishes and is non-existing; normally I think you would not go with a 40mm wide tire this long commute, it would get from you too much power to do it. But even with these tires and especially with this bike, you can and will go above the 25km/h when you have no assist from the motor. Coming from a Touring-eBike and compared to the AMP Cross, I have a much bigger part of my speed profile above the 25km/h, just because the bike is so light.

With roads/path with "thorns and branches" I tink I would not go with smaller tires. If you like the City color more and because the frames and the wheel-clearance between the wheel and the frame are the same, you could go with a wider tire with the city model; but I'm not sure how much because of the fenders.

>How are you getting on with charging (how far do you get on one charge?) and what pressures do you run the tyres? are >you still thinking of going for the narrower tyres?
I charge every day twice now, as I end my commute with about 55% - 45% left in the battery. In the office I have a 4A charger (charges faster) and at home the 2A charger which comes with the bike.
I increased tyre pressure to about 4Bar/58psi.

I have now 1800km on the bike and I will change to some Winter Tires (better compound for lower temperatures) from Continental ((Link Removed - No Longer Exists)) with a smaller width (37mm).

I like the stock WTB Nano tires with its 40mm, but I will test other sizes; perhaps something like 37mm is better suited for my commute.

>I have several other bikes but really like the idea of this for days where my legs are tired from long weekend rides or I'm >generally tired but still want to ride rather than drive.
Beside this bike eliminates the hills on my commute, the Cross is wonderfull too in some environment where you can cruise between 15-25km/h... I used it around where we live on gravel roads country side and this was super-fun.

regards, marcel

Attachments

• IMG_3133.JPG
    IMG_3133.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,483
Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the reply and feedback I really do appreciate this and i will post some pictures and details of my experiences as i think based on my research and your valuable information I am going to order the "cross" version as im all for comfort these days and the wider tires and the electric gear shift play into that perfectly.

I have a Cannondale synapse e tap for weekends but this really does tick the boxes for my commute as some days you are just not in the mood to put the effort in on the uphill journey home and from what you say this really does remove the peaks of the journey when you just want to get home!

In the summer i can see myself still using the Cannondale but in the dark, cold winter months this may just be the best way to keep me riding.

I will get some custom mudguards which mount off the rear seat post and frame as like you I want to be weather proof without having to compromise on the tire width and 40mm width suits me fine as i prefer the comfort and by the sounds of it speed is not compromised anyway.

I have some fantastic lights I can add to the bike which are much brighter than the BMC standard ones and im not into the green commuter version after seeing your pictures of the cross model so you have helped me decide to go for this model.

As i said, I will let you know how i get on with the bike but from talking to Evans (i live in the UK) they wont have any in stock until the end of the year so it looks like it will be the New Year before i get to try the new bike.

Thanks again Marcel, really appreciate the reply and detail as this has helped me decide which bike to go for.

Blue

... youre welcome. I definitely looking forward to your pictures and your experiences with the bike.

I see you are from the UK. Check the profile and pictures of this guy. He contacted me a few weeks ago and wanted too some information about the Alpenchallenge AMP bikes, he tried to order it in the UK too but didn't want to wait so long and, an now begins the awesome part, he took his vacation to travel to Switzerland, buying the AMP City here and travelled back to london with his bike... he is truly dedicated to it (Like I am kind of and I perhaps would have done something similar if I really wanted it, I just was a bit lucky to get it early here in Switzerland...)

https://instagram.com/ggbmex

Haha,

That's dedication!

I will take a look.

I am being told stock of the bike should be here in December so will see how they get on and I have been promised a call when it arrives.

Let you know once I receive it and will add to the thread to expand the details and experiences you have already created to help others.

Thanks again Marcel much appreciated.

Blue

... youre welcome. I definitely looking forward to your pictures and your experiences with the bike.

I see you are from the UK. Check the profile and pictures of this guy. He contacted me a few weeks ago and wanted too some information about the Alpenchallenge AMP bikes, he tried to order it in the UK too but didn't want to wait so long and, an now begins the awesome part, he took his vacation to travel to Switzerland, buying the AMP City here and travelled back to london with his bike... he is truly dedicated to it (Like I am kind of and I perhaps would have done something similar if I really wanted it, I just was a bit lucky to get it early here in Switzerland...)

https://instagram.com/ggbmex

Really love this. When you have your heart set on something this awesome, why not go the extra mile to fulfill your dreams. When you see dedicated travelers going cross country to their favorite restaurant, you can totally understand why a bicycle rider would travel this far to get his dream bike. A great way to have that memory connected with an awesome machine like this one. Kudos to this guy indeed! :p

Haha,

That's dedication!

I will take a look.

I am being told stock of the bike should be here in December so will see how they get on and I have been promised a call when it arrives.

Let you know once I receive it and will add to the thread to expand the details and experiences you have already created to help others.

Thanks again Marcel much appreciated.

Blue

Blue-Good luck with your future purchase. Would be great to see some of your experiences with this bike as well!

Back