Bikes that are not bikes

EdC

I just finished watching a video on the Juiced Hyperscrambler 2. This bike weigh 120 pounds and has peddles, qualifying is as a bicycle. That’s ridiculous. Who’s going to peddle a 125 pound pike? They’re just going to throttle it all the time. There are a lot of manufacturers potting peddleds on mopeds and calling them bikes. There are also a lot of young kids getting their hands on them. That’s a recipe for a lot of accidents. Ed

1000W motor 30+mph means it is not classified as any legal version of a bicycle. And it certainly cannot pass for one given its look :)

It would have to be registered as a moped to be legal on the street. And moped can legally have pedals.

That does not mean some people won't use it on the street, but that is a different story, and people using illegal motor vehicle on streets is nothing new...

These mini bike type ebikes are a pretty common phenomenon these days. I think that there will be a lot of buyers remorse if the laws are ever enforced, but that doesn’t seem likely. They are unlikely to have much affect on eBiking in general unless a panicked citizen or official groups us all together after someone does something stupid.

It seems that the target customer is someone that wants a small, inexpensive motorbike that they don’t have to register or insure. They will probably wish that they had insurance if they cause any damage or injury while breaking the law. Used responsibly, they seem to be a harmless addition to the list of electric vehicles.

Don't know that there is much difference between say a 150 pound person peddling a 125 pound bike or a 200 pound person peddling a 75 pound bike. It's the 1000W motor that takes it out of the ebike class at least in my state.

I saw one today covered in Boa constrictor vinyl. That was one ugly fat bike. A 120 pounder. Maybe we should have the Ugly Bike Awards? It is done in my town with dogs.
1688170714902.jpeg
1688170745984.jpeg
1688170773551.jpeg

1688170800124.jpeg
1688170835864.jpeg

I just finished watching a video on the Juiced Hyperscrambler 2. This bike weigh 120 pounds and has peddles, qualifying is as a bicycle. That’s ridiculous. Who’s going to peddle a 125 pound pike? They’re just going to throttle it all the time. There are a lot of manufacturers potting peddleds on mopeds and calling them bikes. There are also a lot of young kids getting their hands on them. That’s a recipe for a lot of accidents. Ed
The weight has absolutely nothing to do with it, the bike has a torque sensor based PAS system and a 1200watt motor to offset the weight.
No one wants to pedal this bike because it design is uncomfortable, i would not want to pedal a Scorpion even if it weighed 50lbs.
Still a better choice than a scooter as you could get some exercise but far from comfy.
I believe this is the last year of production for this bike if that makes anyone feel better.

I realize you just had a typo with the word pike instead of bike but I had this picture in my mind.
IMG_0585.jpeg

1000W motor 30+mph means it is not classified as any legal version of a bicycle. And it certainly cannot pass for one given its look :)

It would have to be registered as a moped to be legal on the street. And moped can legally have pedals.

That does not mean some people won't use it on the street, but that is a different story, and people using illegal motor vehicle on streets is nothing new...
Motor plus pedals is the original source of the coinage "MOtor PEDal." The original MOPEDs had little 2-stroke ICEs, plus pedals. I never rode one, but for me they weren't very appealing. Careless usage nowadays calls small scooters mopeds even when they don't have pedals.

When were the E-bike laws generally written in the USA? 2001? Most states from what I read say 750 watt motors that have working "pedals" that go 28 MPH or less ?........ The police don't have a clue what you are driving if it says a Class 2 or Class 3 sticker on your E-bike. Sure it is illegal but who is going to enforce the laws in the USA? It is totally out of control.

Those pike will eat small ducks. They are the barracuda of the North.
1688246696280.jpeg

The weight has absolutely nothing to do with it, the bike has a torque sensor based PAS system and a 1200watt motor to offset the weight.
No one wants to pedal this bike because it design is uncomfortable, i would not want to pedal a Scorpion even if it weighed 50lbs.
Still a better choice than a scooter as you could get some exercise but far from comfy.
I believe this is the last year of production for this bike if that makes anyone feel better.
Older people are buying three wheeler e-bikes because of balancing issues they weigh a lot, but understand older people need the battery 🔋 and the three wheels. I have an ebike it’s heavy I purchased it just so I could ride up hills I need assistance and yes I pedal everywhere with assistance because I need the exercise. I am not about to try riding a regular bicycle getting as old as i am with my bad legs and knees. I need the help. The ebike allows me to get out and about go further than I would normally go I I rode my ebike around meteor crater in Arizona that was a hoot 🦉.
To be old, retired I don’t want anybody telling me what I can ride and where just so long as I am safe and respectful. 🧌

Back