Bike Rack

mbutts

Hi,

I need a hitch-mounted rack for my motorhome & Honda CR-V to carry our two XPs. I've narrowed the search to a Hollywood Racks Sport Rider SE Hitch Bike Rack for Fat Tire Electric Bikes (longest product name ever!) and the Swagman E-Spec E-Bike Carrier coming in second place.

Anyone have experience with these and the Lectric XP bikes?

I skipped this one initially since its limit of 60 lbs. per bike was just enough to carry the XPs. But there are a ton a good reviews with other fat tire e-bike owners. It's nice that this one is half price of the others I looked at. I'll put this one on the list.

I skipped this one initially since its limit of 60 lbs. per bike was just enough to carry the XPs. But there are a ton a good reviews with other fat tire e-bike owners. It's nice that this one is half price of the others I looked at. I'll put this one on the list.

If you haven't cruised etrailer.com you should give them a try. I got a nice single rack for what I thought was a decent price.

I have a Hollywood fat tire bike rack. There are several very similar racks so I don't know if mine is the same one you're talking about. Mine has a capacity of 2 x 80 pound bikes. I've been very happy with it.

TT

I was wondering if anyone had experience with using a two motorcycle carrier. The aluminum ones are about 40% less than the bike racks and hold up to 600 pounds. Thanks for the tip!

Mine is the Black Widow aluminum single rail carrier from Discount Ramps. The main reason I went with the single was weight. I was not sure if my travel trailer bumper could handle the tongue weight with a bolt on Reese receiver and two e-bikes on it. My rack weighs 34 pounds and is a piece of cake to install and remove on either my small SUV or my travel trailer. If memory serves, the two bike carrier weighs twice as much. My wife's bike is a folder and easily fits in the back of our SUV so I could get by with the single. I see no reason the two motorcycle carrier would not work just as well assuming your hitch can handle the tongue weight. Instead of being near the top of the weight limit of a traditional bike rack, you have a bunch of excess capacity. Good luck in your search.

This one showed up Monday. VERY happy!
Easy to set up, well built and well thought out.
No regrets.

Is everybody happy with their bike racks? I think I'm about to take the plunge.

The Overdrive Sport on Amazon looks good (is the weight rating just a case of the manufacturer being conservative?). The 1st Amazon reviewer's video (C. Tseng) makes it look like a great buy.

A couple questions if you got time:

For theft prevention, I understand how hitch locks work but then what? You u-lock or chain-lock the bike to the vertical post?

What about protection from the elements? I see bike covers on Amazon for under $20 with good reviews. They can't possibly hold up against the wind on the back of a vehicle rolling down the highway, can they? What are you using?

I also like the looks of the Black Widow. Single bike. Nice and small. But no magic hook for securing the bike!

Is everybody happy with their bike racks? I think I'm about to take the plunge.

The Overdrive Sport on Amazon looks good (is the weight rating just a case of the manufacturer being conservative?). The 1st Amazon reviewer's video (C. Tseng) makes it look like a great buy.

For theft prevention, I understand how hitch locks work but then what? You u-lock or chain-lock the bike to the vertical post?

What about protection from the elements? I see bike covers on Amazon for under $20 with good reviews. They can't possibly hold up against the wind on the back of a vehicle rolling down the highway, can they? What are you using?

I also like the looks of the Black Widow. Single bike. Nice and small. But no magic hook for securing the bike!
I went with a Thule T1 Bike Rack from etrailers.com. I bought it for $263 but right now it seems to be listing at $330. Easy to install, and I've had no trouble lifting my bikes onto the rack. One oddity - it accepts 4" fat tires, but the built-in tiedowns don't fit across the wheel rim. A simple compression strap solves that problem, but still. It's basic; no swing-away function, and the rack has to be empty to access the back hatch of an SUV. It comes with a hitch lock and a small and probably quite weak cable lock to lock the bike at the headtube to the rack. It's really just a deterrent for a casual impulse thief. Rated at 65 lbs, but I'm pretty sure a few pounds over that is OK. Have never had a cover for the bike when it's been on the rack.

Has anybody tried the motorcycle carrier from Harbor Freight? You can admit it. No one will laugh. (not loud enough for you to hear anyway)

I'm leaning towards it. The only thing I don't like is that it lacks a gooseneck. It looks to me like it sticks straight out from the trailer hitch. I've scraped my motorhome hitch on dirt roads a few times. I'll have to be really careful. Oh, and the ramp has got to go.

Edit: I just placed an order for the Harbor Freight. $116 out the door with tax, shipping and of course the 20% coupon can't be beat. I'll tell y'all if I'm happy with it or not.

Thanks for the info Poorplayer. $330 just seems a bit much right now. My wallet needs a vacation.

Last edited:
Question for all you hitch/towing knowledgeable people.

When a product says ATV hitch is that code for super-light-duty?

The reason why I'm asking is I think I'd better get a hitch riser for the bike rack I just bought. Do you think this "ATV" hitch riser is a good choice, or would you worry that's is too light-duty for 130 lbs (rack & bike)?

Same product at Northern Tool:

The outside hook that holds the bike onto the rack locks. It wouldn't be a bad idea to run a cable thru both bikes either and then to the bumper or something.
I don't plan on driving in the rain with the electric bikes on the rack. Plus I have the bikes on the front of the vehicle. A cover would restrict air flow to the radiator too much. We did get a couple of Amazon covers for the garage to keep the bikes clean. When it comes to electronics; dust is the enemy.

I received the Harbor Freight motorcycle rack and installed it today. If you're looking to carry a motorcycle, I think it's a steal. The fit and finish is far beyond what I expected. I thought there would be razor sharp aluminum edges that I would have to be mindful of. Nope. None of that. For what it is, I think it's a good product.

It was easy to assemble and before you know it I had the bike loaded and I was playing with ratchet straps. I never did find the right formula. Part of the problem is that the bike doesn't have stout handlebars like a motorcycle that you can reef on with a ratchet strap and part of the problem is my particular rig.

I use cinch straps rather than ratchet straps on mine. Reduces the risk of over tightening on the handlebar. They have worked just fine for over 6,000 miles with the bike on the rack. For me, they are easier and quicker to attach and remove than ratchet straps.

Attachments

• Bike on Rack (1).jpg
    Bike on Rack (1).jpg
    418.6 KB · Views: 2,764
This is what I got. 500 lb capacity. Small modification. I cut the top bar on diagonal on the ends to allow the tires to sit flat, finished with 1"x1' plastic end caps to complete . Velcro straps and cinch straps hold my 2 bikes in place. Under $100..........folds up when not in use.

Last edited:

We use this one, and it has straps underneath with clips to keep it together. Haven’t used on a rack on the freeway though so couldn’t say how strong those straps are.

We use this one, and it has straps underneath with clips to keep it together. Haven’t used on a rack on the freeway though so couldn’t say how strong those straps are.

Nice cover with 3 different size options to choose from. Looks very well made indeed. How many times I had my bike on my rear rack and was caught in a downpour. This looks like a handy option to have during an emergency. Thanks for posting!

Back