Bike Rack Obscuring License Plate

6zfshdb

Region
USA
City
Northeast Pennsylvania
This has been discussed several times here on EBR but not recently.

My brother was cited this week on the NJ Garden State Parkway because his empty Thule Helium bike rack partially obscured his rear plate. He had just dropped his bike off for service and was returning home when he was pulled over. The NJ State Trooper told him there was a crackdown on this because drivers were using empty bike racks to foil E-Zpass plate readers.

There was also a recent news report on this happening in NY. as well.

Most states have laws against obscuring license plates but they have been largely ignored for bike racks. I'm wondering if these recent events will generate widespread enforcement. Has anyone else been cited for this recently?

And now imagine a small suv and a bike with a rain cover on the rack, no license plate visible, neither braking lights. 😕

Last edited:
Our fine for obscuring the plate is $110 and 3 demerit points ( 12 points in 3 years = license loss)

I Have a bike rack number plate AND the numbers mounted on the rack for if the plate "gets stolen / falls off" . ( aka I forget to put it on). A miserable cop could still fine me for not having a light, but I figure it's better to give them a small pleasure than have them go looking for something more significant. After all, I'm out riding and they are working

This has been discussed several times here on EBR but not recently.

My brother was cited this week on the NJ Garden State Parkway because his empty Thule Helium bike rack partially obscured his rear plate. He had just dropped his bike off for service and was returning home when he was pulled over. The NJ State Trooper told him there was a crackdown on this because drivers were using empty bike racks to foil E-Zpass plate readers.

There was also a recent news report on this happening in NY. as well.

Most states have laws against obscuring license plates but they have been largely ignored for bike racks. I'm wondering if these recent events will generate widespread enforcement. Has anyone else been cited for this recently?
So what's the right thing to do?
Move your plate to the rack?
Same with lights?

So what's the right thing to do?
Move your plate to the rack?
Same with lights?
A very good question. Since the laws vary from state to state, it's difficult to find a scheme that will be legal everywhere. I take my bikes all over the eastern US and often travel through multiple states on a single trip. It's one of the reasons I don't use a hitch rack much anymore. I usually carry my bike in the bed of my pickup. I do use it occasionally though when I need to carry 3 or 4 bikes. When I do, I just ignore the law and hope for the best. That's why I'm wondering if states are going to crack down on the practice.

Some states will issue a second plate (or a third for front platers) but this varies. Having a replica printed as mentioned by @Nvreloader is another possibility but again, the laws vary. It also creates an issue in states that have an inspection sticker affixed to the plate.

I used to have a hitch rack that mounted high off the ground with a narrow support strut that didn't completely obscure the plate. I used it for many years with no problems. It folded down and away from the bumper to allow for opening tailgate & hatch. It also made it easier to load the bikes. I sold it though since it wasn't designed for heavier e-bikes. There may be a similar model available now for heavy bikes.

Our fine for obscuring the plate is $110 and 3 demerit points ( 12 points in 3 years = license loss)

I Have a bike rack number plate AND the numbers mounted on the rack for if the plate "gets stolen / falls off" . ( aka I forget to put it on). A miserable cop could still fine me for not having a light, but I figure it's better to give them a small pleasure than have them go looking for something more significant. After all, I'm out riding and they are working
A mate got pinged $450 here in NSW for not displaying an auxiliary plate with his bike rack. Ouch.

My home-made setup includes a light bar for the taillights and a lighted mount for my license plate. A bit cumbersome to assemble all, but also a deterrent to stealing the bikes.

FYI, I had several conversations a few years ago with Kuat and they were adamant they would not incorporate lights or license plate holders in their racks.

Guess what! Kuat is now incorporating both in their new racks.

Not a great picture, the photo was to show how I added lights to the back of my Thule rack. There is also a place to move the plate to in back, which I do if we go very far. It also shows how the plate is hidden and so are the taillights somewhat when bikes are on it. I can understand the tickets but it seems like a warning might be in order.
DFCC5665-ABC1-4583-85D3-0430C77F71D5.jpeg

license plate for what ? to ride trail ?? .. Glad I live in a free state
At last report 49 States require the vehicle’s rear plate to be visible at all times — which also means lighted. Not known the one “rouge” State. Maybe that is yours.

The Police need to be able to see/read the plate to check for violations before they exit their cruiser.

Back