Bike friendly Breckenridge (sort of)

Daneflyer

saw this sign on the trail from Breck to Frisco. It’s great that they recognize ebikes, but I can’t ride my class three Stromer on it. Why, because I can go too fast? What about the acoustic bikes that pass me all day at 23 mph? Just doesn’t seem right to restrict me because I COULD go too fast. My car can go 120 mph, but I don’t.

Attachments

• 99C6BB88-10AB-4278-8068-E974FB37CCED.jpeg
    99C6BB88-10AB-4278-8068-E974FB37CCED.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 608
saw this sign on the trail from Breck to Frisco. It’s great that they recognize ebikes, but I can’t ride my class three Stromer on it. Why, because I can go too fast? What about the acoustic bikes that pass me all day at 23 mph? Just doesn’t seem right to restrict me because I COULD go too fast. My car can go 120 mph, but I don’t.
That was the point of California's (first in the nation) 3 class law. The first group to be disappointed were the eMTB riders. The law didn't allow for ebikes on mtb trails. Next were speed pedelecs, they are relegated to roads. Now this community and others are banning class 2. Class 2 are limited to 20 mph, same as class 1. Think how they feel. It's a shame. Talking to local lawmakers, they want to make sure everyone not disabled are pedaling and not fast. There's little they can do to slow down acoustic riders. Posted speed limits are often ignored.

That was the point of California's (first in the nation) 3 class law. The first group to be disappointed were the eMTB riders. The law didn't allow for ebikes on mtb trails. Next were speed pedelecs, they are relegated to roads. Now this community and others are banning class 2. Class 2 are limited to 20 mph, same as class 1. Think how they feel. It's a shame. Talking to local lawmakers, they want to make sure everyone not disabled are pedaling and not fast. There's little they can do to slow down acoustic riders. Posted speed limits are often ignored.
Emtb’s are not allowed on trails around Breckenridge either. Guess I could replace my class3 sticker with a class 1, or just remove it. I’m guessing most wouldn’t know any different. I’m afraid here in Denver they will do something similar when they take a second look at the E-bike rules in October. Right now there are no restrictions on e-bikes on state park trails. That would really suck if they enact restrictions since I use the trail every weekday when I commute to work. I also use it for pleasure rides on the weekend.

The bad part of advocating for class 1 eMTB by pointing out that you have to pedal is that it makes all class 2 ebikes look bad somehow since you don't. No one even knows there is a class 3, I wouldn't worry about it.

I would take the sticker off and put a class 1 on and ride responsibly. I really doubt anyone would know the difference or ask to see your sticker.

Breck probably thinks that being "Class 1" is appropriate for their scene, meanwhile the Class 2 riders probably live in Alma or Fairplay (South Park) anyway.

Why don't they just post a speed limit that all have to obey regardless of "Class" and require a bell and for walkers to walk on the right side and dog owners to pick up their poo.

I've been to Breckenridge and to Frisco and I've seen ebikes on the trails between the two towns, also ebike dealers in town rent and give tours on this trail, so that should answer that question. Personally I would ride any ebike, class I, II, or III and never feel I was going to be stopped and questioned, mainly because I don't ride in a way that gives attention to doing something wrong, most riders that are stopped are probably in the wrong by riding too fast, riding trails that are marked, NO BICYCLES", or riding on sidewalks where bikes are not permitted. All being said, if law enforcement offices are going to stop every ebike to see it its legal or not, they got too much time on there hands.

Reactions: JRA
Back