Bike for an old fella!

Lorna

My dad - 77 yrs, 20 stone and frustrated!
Wants an electric bike so he can be on holiday in France when there's nobody to drive him.
Question is:
What's the best bike for him - has to be second hand, has to manage hills with his weight because there are plenty of hills and slopes... And battery has to get him 20 miles.
I am useless! Know nowt about this at all. Can you experts please point me in the right direction if you can spare a minute?!
Cheers
Lorna

has to be second hand, has to manage hills with his weight

What is his weight? Is he in any shape to peddle a bike? You mention plenty of hills, are they gentle slopes or fairly steep? People have the impression that electric bikes are very capable at traversing all terrain, but hill climbing presents a complication if the rider can't provide a fairly substantial amount of peddle power.

Court J.

What is his weight? Is he in any shape to peddle a bike? You mention plenty of hills, are they gentle slopes or fairly steep? People have the impression that electric bikes are very capable at traversing all terrain, but hill climbing presents a complication if the rider can't provide a fairly substantial amount of peddle power.

Court J.
20 stone is British for 280 pounds. Only used for human weight.

It's tough to even suggest a bike with these wants and it will have to be Euro spec of 250 watts and 15.5 mph max speed. Maybe a budget will help in suggesting a bike.

Thanks guys.
Really the budget will be decided by whether a bike is made to do the hills.
Yes - there are slopes but also hills.
If you can tell me the bikes you suggest then I will start saving up to get that bike for him.
He is fit enough to pedal and certainly would get fitter!!

If you can tell me the bikes you suggest then I will start saving up to get that bike for him.

My opinion, look for a mid-drive bike. You have to purchase a bike that conforms to the regulations in the country or countries he's going to ride in. If it's only going to be ridden in France I'd purchase the bike from a dealer in France. Look for closeouts or bikes on sale. You probably should budget between 1,500 and 2,000 Euros. If you are very fortunate you'll find something for less. I was able to buy a closeout bike in Vienna for a daughter for 1,300 Euros.

http://www.bike-discount.de/en/shop/ebike-hybrid-17187

Court J.

Probably not a good idea to buy an ebike at this point.

Suggest you find a rental shop where he's going in France.. At his weight, with hills, an electric bike won't last even an hour. And who knows if he would really like riding something underpowered for him.

Electric Bikes are expensive and have terrible resale value.. If you buy a used one the battery will be degraded, which means you'll need to buy another battery.

@Lorna

I don't think you are ever too old, too big or too out of shape to get big benefits from cycling. It will add to your father's quality of life. Court J. Has a good point about mid-drives and JoePah is right about the used battery. Mid-drives tend to be more expensive and you want a new big battery. I do some crazy big hills in Pennsylvania with a geared hub motor and for casual recreational riding, I feel a geared hub would work for your father. Add a big, new battery and your father should be good to go!

@EddieJ is in the UK and he posted about the Woosh Karoo. Here is a new bike, with a new geared hub from 8-Fun/Bafang and your BIG, NEW 15 Amp Hour battery, all for £849. If you can't spend that much you could get the 13 Amp Hour battery on the same bike for £799. I think you should go for the 15 though.

The Woosh Karoo: http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Hopefully @EddieJ will add to this conversation.

Good luck Lorna

Have him try out a haibike sduro. Loving mine and I don't think the us model is tuned much differently. Also I'm carrying a couple more stone for reference. If he is willing to pedal it should do the job.

Thanks everyone! This is great info and I'll let you know what happens. I was thinking i should buy two batteries anyway - just in case! I don't want him stranded when we aren't there.
Many thanks again
Lorna

My dad - 77 yrs, 20 stone and frustrated!
Wants an electric bike so he can be on holiday in France when there's nobody to drive him.
Question is:
What's the best bike for him - has to be second hand, has to manage hills with his weight because there are plenty of hills and slopes... And battery has to get him 20 miles.
I am useless! Know nowt about this at all. Can you experts please point me in the right direction if you can spare a minute?!
Cheers
Lorna

Don't know where you're based but France is a better place to buy secondhand rather than, say, the U.K. as there are simply more ebikes about.

Be careful with buying 2nd hand though. My old Emotion City Deluxe with a Panasonic motor & battery had lost hardly any range after six years but I must have been blessed. They are usually toast after that sort of time & a new Panasonic 10Ah battery in the U.K. is circa £600 (or so I was told by a dealer keen to sell me a new bike, they may well a little cheaper).

Also bear in mind that, just those few years ago, assist levels for crank-drive motors were 50% / 100% / 130% whereas my new Bosch-equipped bike goes up to over 300% assist - hill-climbing between my old Panasonic & my new Bosch is night & day.

I know you said must be 2nd hand, so I assume the budget is tight, but beware the cost of a 2nd battery may be prohibitive. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but I wish you well with your search.

@Lorna

I don't think you are ever too old, too big or too out of shape to get big benefits from cycling. It will add to your father's quality of life. Court J. Has a good point about mid-drives and JoePah is right about the used battery. Mid-drives tend to be more expensive and you want a new big battery. I do some crazy big hills in Pennsylvania with a geared hub motor and for casual recreational riding, I feel a geared hub would work for your father. Add a big, new battery and your father should be good to go!

@EddieJ is in the UK and he posted about the Woosh Karoo. Here is a new bike, with a new geared hub from 8-Fun/Bafang and your BIG, NEW 15 Amp Hour battery, all for £849. If you can't spend that much you could get the 13 Amp Hour battery on the same bike for £799. I think you should go for the 15 though.

The Woosh Karoo: http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?karoo

Hopefully @EddieJ will add to this conversation.

Good luck Lorna

Love your post, especially this bit: "I don't think you are ever too old, too big or too out of shape to get big benefits from cycling. It will add to your father's quality of life"

However, as much as that Whoosh appears absolutely superb value for money, I think it best to point out that, with its throttle, it may not be strictly legal under European laws. Wouldn't bother me or 99.99% of people but I always think it's best to assume that others want to remain completely legal unless they state otherwise.

Back