BIG GUYS THREAD: Most Powerful Moped eBike For Guys Over 300 Pounds

FatGuy

Hey Guys, Ive been doing some research for a few weeks now and I wanted to get your recommendations to find a Moped style E-Bike for someone who weighs 300 Pounds. The bikes I researched were the Ariel Rider D ( which I later found out could have issues with the controller and motor) The Juiced HyperScrambler 2 ( No Reviews Available Yet ) The Super73 RX ( Ive determined this company has great marketing but their bikes might not be the best) The Onyx ( too much like a dirt bike )

My preference would be a Step Through and something with high handle bars and comfortable seats.

While I dont think I will be using it off road, or for commuting I would still like it to be a very powerful, reliable E-Bike that can hold my weight of around 300 Pounds. I think during this pandemic I may have fallen into a slight depression and ate too much and gained weight. I think buying a E-Bike would motivate me to get out of the house and get some sort of exercise to at least attempt to lose weight and get healthier mentally and physically.

What's your recommendations? I should add I live in The San Fernando Valley near Calabasas in Southern California and Im close to a lot of these E-Bike Manufactures so I could easily go and check anything out in person.

Thanks for your help!

vector-illustration-fat-man-riding-bicycle-black-white-72602906.jpg

Hey Guys, Ive been doing some research for a few weeks now and I wanted to get your recommendations to find a Moped style E-Bike for someone who weighs 300 Pounds. The bikes I researched were the Ariel Rider D ( which I later found out could have issues with the controller and motor) The Juiced HyperScrambler 2 ( No Reviews Available Yet ) The Super73 RX ( Ive determined this company has great marketing but their bikes might not be the best) The Onyx ( too much like a dirt bike )

My preference would be a Step Through and something with high handle bars and comfortable seats.

While I dont think I will be using it off road, or for commuting I would still like it to be a very powerful, reliable E-Bike that can hold my weight of around 300 Pounds. I think during this pandemic I may have fallen into a slight depression and ate too much and gained weight. I think buying a E-Bike would motivate me to get out of the house and get some sort of exercise to at least attempt to lose weight and get healthier mentally and physically.

What's your recommendations? I should add I live in The San Fernando Valley near Calabasas in Southern California and Im close to a lot of these E-Bike Manufactures so I could easily go and check anything out in person.

Thanks for your help!

vector-illustration-fat-man-riding-bicycle-black-white-72602906.jpg
Hello and welcome.

Hope you find the bike that works for you. The title of the thread is likely the reason for the lack of recommendations. Most of what we discuss here are low power pedal assist ebikes of class 1, 2 and 3. Although I'm sure we could make some theoretical recommendations of brands to look at, and there are owners here with Juiced mopeds, just not as much real world experience as there is on pedal assisted bikes.

I've known some really big guys that ride bikes a lot. I don't know if weight loss is their goal, but they can ride as well as anyone. I've had a number of back surgeries going back to the 80's, and cycling was always a big part of my rehab. The last back surgery really set me back, and at 6'-2" I went from about 180 lbs to 220 lbs. Cycling and then ebiking helped me to lose 45 lbs. Took time, years actually. My real goal was to be in better shape after surgery, the weight loss came with the lifestyle.

Good luck in your search! Cycling allows you to see a world most people never experience. Really helps to cheat father time too.

well not exactly moped, but RadRunner?

With Bolton or Electric Bike World upgrade, the OP will be able to add more power if needed.

US$1,299 RadRunner e-bike blurs the lines between bike and scooter
That's kind of what I meant about theoretical recommendations. I think the guy wants recommendations from owners and if possible owners with similar needs.

The RadRunner has payload capacity of 300 lbs so it should be fine structurally.

In addition, RadRunner has smaller diameter wheels, so it should give more advantage in terms of carrying heavy load.
Combined with Bolton or Electro Bike World kit, I don't think there will be a problem weight wise.

That said, no, I can't speak from my own experience.
You don't know is the point. Read the original post. The guy is serious about his needs and his issues and you want to give theoretical recommendations of bikes you don't own. Few people new to ebikes will want to buy an ebike and void the warranty by adding a parts kit to soup it up.

I would take a look at 2 bikes to meet your criteria... both are sure to be a lot of fun. ;)

1602539867826.png

I would take a look at 2 bikes to meet your criteria... both are sure to be a lot of fun. ;)

View attachment 68421
Now is the time to buy a Hyper Scorpion! Flash sale they are $1999 for the rest of the day!

I'm 315, and contrary to what some with no experience think/say, have found GEAR DRIVEN hub drives to be pretty peppy. Geesh, I wish people would consider that not all hub drives are created equal, and available performance between them can be night and day! Some are able to straighten your arms right out when accelerating from a stop, and able to crack 30mph easily. Others (most notably direct drive rear hubs) are gutless wimps.

On point, regarding a 500w or maybe 750w GEARED HUB (Usually by Bafang) powering something with the OP's intended style, or my take of his post anyway, we're going to be talking smaller (probably 20") tires. This, in addition to the 5:1 gears in the hub, is going to provide another boost above what some are considering. Point being, these little 20" bikes have a LOT of guts! They'll handle the performance needs of big guys very easily.

My opinion, would be that if this really is a serious attempt at getting some exercise, and not a toy to be used only locally, something in the way of a more conventional 26"+ bike might be a better plan. They'll afford a much better ride - allowing the rider to stay on the bike longer and travel further. That's my opinion though.... FWIW. -Al

Back