Best tire for the wet

bazzapage

I've crashed off my bike twice now in the wet, when the Schwalbe Marathon/Energizer tyres lost grip and the bike slid. My knees and elbows have asked to to please get different tyres!

I want a tyre that has good wet weather grip (the original Turbo Elektrak tyres were actually quite good) but I really don't want punctures (not so good in that department, which is where the Marathon's excelled).

Who has had good experiences?

I've crashed off my bike twice now in the wet, when the Schwalbe Marathon/Energizer tyres lost grip and the bike slid. My knees and elbows have asked to to please get different tyres!

I want a tyre that has good wet weather grip (the original Turbo Elektrak tyres were actually quite good) but I really don't want punctures (not so good in that department, which is where the Marathon's excelled).

Schwalbe Marathon Almotion.
https://www.schwalbetires.com/bike_tires/road_tires/Marathon_Almotion
Out of all the Schwalbe tires, has the highest road grip and lowest rolling resistance. If you get the tubeless version, much better puncture resistance the greenguard Marathons.

I like the Specialized Infinity 700x47. Armadillo protection(most) with a reflective strip to boot. Up front I actually use the Trigger that came with the bike and love this set up. Things get a little slippery when passing a man hole cover on a turn but otherwise this set up has been great for over a year of rides.

Thanks @Ravi Kempaiah I ordered a pair of Almotions. Let's see how they go, hopefully there is enough clearance around the rear fender.
Any update on the Almotions on the Turbo?
Like to know what size you went with, tubed or tubeless and how hard/easy the tire went onto the rim.
I have some 38C tubeless Almotions on my other conventional bike and they were extremely difficult to mount. I dread having to take them off.

Almotions are really great, had no problems mounting them (700c x 50). They seem much better in the wet, grip well, are very puncture proof and sing when going fast on a smooth surface. Next step is to convert to tubeless.
Remains to be seen how long they last.

I hated to replace my Marathon Plus' after 1600 miles but they were just too slippery on wet pavement. I switched to the Continental Contact Plus and the ride is much more what you would expect for a bicycle with way better grip. I will note that even though the size is a drop from a 38 mm to a 37 mm, the Contact Plus blows up to a noticeably smaller tire. Personally I think that's a feature, not a bug. I have a 60 lb, Class II, Kahlkoff.

Last edited:
Update: I have done over 10,000km on the front tire, and replaced the rear and done 5000 on the rear. One the tubeless fluid dried up a put together back in as the beads wouldn't re seat. They are still the best tires I've had by far.

I'm very happy with the Almotions as well. 29 / 700 x 50 with tubes. Over 4000 miles on the front and 3500 on the rear (had to replace when I rode over a straight razor that slashed the side of my tire - not the tire's fault) and still plenty of life left.

Specialized Infinity ! They make the best tires. The rubber is just very unique and perfect for whatever is made for- road riding/gravel/rain/ mtb.

Specialized Infinity ! They make the best tires. The rubber is just very unique and perfect for whatever is made for- road riding/gravel/rain/ mtb.
I haven't any experience with the Infinity, but it is made with 70a rubber which is quite a hard compound, so I'd expect it to be long lasting. However my experience in rain is that harder compounds can be less grippy, and that's why I've stuck with the Schwalbe Almotions which have been faultless in my experience. They are not cheap though, but I've also not fallen off on wet corners which I am willing to pay for!

I’m glad to find this thread. I upgraded my 2018 Vado 3.0 to the Marathon Plus after struggling through way to many flats. They always seemed less grippy but I thought it was my imagination. After my 2018 Vado 3.0 died of a cracked frame, my LBS moved the Marathon Pluses to the replacement 2020 Vado 4.0 and about 4 days later I wiped out hard on some black ice. I had almost 3000 on my stock tires, and rode through last winter without any fear, but now I am hesitant riding this winter.
Anyone have thoughts on the stock tires from the 2020 Vado 4.0? Looking for a better balance of grip and puncture resistance.

I’m glad to find this thread. I upgraded my 2018 Vado 3.0 to the Marathon Plus after struggling through way to many flats. They always seemed less grippy but I thought it was my imagination. After my 2018 Vado 3.0 died of a cracked frame, my LBS moved the Marathon Pluses to the replacement 2020 Vado 4.0 and about 4 days later I wiped out hard on some black ice. I had almost 3000 on my stock tires, and rode through last winter without any fear, but now I am hesitant riding this winter.
Anyone have thoughts on the stock tires from the 2020 Vado 4.0? Looking for a better balance of grip and puncture resistance.

I’m looking to put studded tires or get a 3rd ebike just for this necessity. I dislike paying uber 25$ /day and waiting in traffic 15-30minutes. After a dozen of rides the 3rd ebike pays for itself !!

My Marathon Mondials were very good in the wet. Sadly the bike was not.

I asked Schwalbe tech support for a road commuting tire for my ebike that's good in the wet and they recommended the Marathon Almotion .

Fast E-bike + black ice = worst combination.
With a grippy tire, it can be minimized to a certain extent but it still can be dangerous.

I’m looking to put studded tires or get a 3rd ebike just for this necessity. I dislike paying uber 25$ /day and waiting in traffic 15-30minutes. After a dozen of rides, the 3rd ebike pays for itself !!

I second that recommendation... studded snow tires are the way to go when riding in snow and ice conditions.

1576811365604.png

1576811563848.png

Yes I have the Ice Spikers and they work great. You do not need a whole new bike ,just get a spare set of wheels and have them mounted and ready to go so you can quickly switch back and forth as the weather dictates.

Back