Best methods to secure components

Amanda

My incoming rook from surface604 has quick release seat/front wheel and toolfree headset adjustment. I'm wondering if anyone has used any of the locking skewer or bolt products used to secure these parts by replacing stock fasteners with tamper proof ones.

What we're your experiences? I'll be locking my wheels using u lock and frame lock but working at a hardware store puts me at risk of theft while my bike is locked for 2-4 hours at a time.

You don't need to keep your bike super secure, just more secure than the bike next to you ;)

I replaced my skewers with "Delta Cycle KnoxNut Skewer Set". Not a perfect, but better than quick release.

jeff

You don't need to keep your bike super secure, just more secure than the bike next to you ;)

I replaced my skewers with "Delta Cycle KnoxNut Skewer Set". Not a perfect, but better than quick release.

jeff

Heh, the best advice however I'm the only one currently crazy enough to ride to work this winter.

Do you know how the sizing works on the bolts if I wanted to secure my seat and seat post too? or have you strictly used the skewers?

Ask the boss if you can park the bike inside the store, or in the outside garden shop if they have one? Hope they let you do that.

Ask the boss if you can park the bike inside the store, or in the outside garden shop if they have one? Hope they let you do that.

The boss has offered, but I feel like wheeling a bike through the building twice a day might be frowned on by customers. If we can find an area that makes sense to do it I will take advantage.

I used the Pin Head system for securing the seats on my 2 bikes. It uses a bolt with a special wrench and has a protective sleeve around the bolt head so vise grips cant be used. And when I took my non electric mountain bike to work one night I forgot that I had removed the pin head front axle skewer rather than take the time to make sure I had mounted it properly.-The front disc was rubbing slightly, just needed a washer as a shim. Came out at 10 pm and found the bike missing but the front wheel still locked to the bench I used. My bad but the pin head system seems good.

Amanda,

I have heard really good things about the Pinhead system https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/ as well. As mentioned above you want to make your bike more secure than the others around you. A bike thief will usually target the easy prey.

One thing for sure, never ever use a cable lock as these can be cut in seconds with a cordless Dremel drill which has been the preferred tool for bike thieves in my area! Always ensure that whatever you lock you bike to is securely fastened to something. Ideally embedded in cement and virtually impossible to remove!

take care,

Will

Amanda,

I have heard really good things about the Pinhead system https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/ ...
This topic has interested me and I've been looking at the options since I ordered my bike. Any opinions on the pinhead system vs competitors like the Zefal LocknRoll? The Zefal seems easier to use but I fear easier to use means easier to defeat. To remove for the rider the bike has to be turned upside down which for a thief wouldn't be convenient assuming the bike has a good frame lock and is secured to something solid:

The Zefal's will work and help prevent theft and we do sell those as well. As you mentioned the bike needs to be flipped over in order to open them. In terms of security, the effectiveness of the Pinhead system would certainly be far superior in my opinion.

The Zefal's will work and help prevent theft and we do sell those as well. As you mentioned the bike needs to be flipped over in order to open them. In terms of security, the effectiveness of the Pinhead system would certainly be far superior in my opinion.
In addition it looks like Pinhead has a more complete line of products. They offer the headset lock as well as the saddle lock (apart from the seatpost lock) which are options I don't see at Zefal's website.

My headset is adjustable, so a traditional replacement won't work. I would need something to prevent tampering like HexLox or Pitstoppers which block access.

So many options, but the pinheads seemed solid. My reservations about the zefals and other full kits, is allegedly I only need the front wheels secured. I have a hub motor which is not something I can apparently secure with new axles. Is this information accurate for hub motors?

Amanda,

Personally I wouldn't worry about the adjustable stem. With all the bikes we have sold, I have never seen anyone have their adjustable stem stolen or played around with.

So for your bike it looks like this might be the best setup (NOTE: you will need to verify specifications and size):

1. Front Wheel: https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/wheel-locks/7-front-wheel-lock.html#/key-without_key
  2. Rear Wheel: https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/wheel-locks/37-solid-axle-wheel-lock.html
  3. Seatpost: https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/seatpost-and-saddle-locks/13-seatpost-lock-with-collar.html#/key-without_key/qr_or_sa-quick_release

Amanda,

Personally I wouldn't worry about the adjustable stem. With all the bikes we have sold, I have never seen anyone have their adjustable stem stolen or played around with.

So for your bike it looks like this might be the best setup (NOTE: you will need to verify specifications and size):

1. Front Wheel: https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/wheel-locks/7-front-wheel-lock.html#/key-without_key
  2. Rear Wheel: https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/wheel-locks/37-solid-axle-wheel-lock.html
  3. Seatpost: https://pinheadlocks.com/store/en/seatpost-and-saddle-locks/13-seatpost-lock-with-collar.html#/key-without_key/qr_or_sa-quick_release

I know the Axle is 114mm and 9m diameter on the front. Would the solid axle nuts you listed for the rear wheel replace the factory nuts but use the motor axle?

Amanda,

As I am not familiar with the sizing on that bike, these are things that will need to be verified for proper sizing.

Pinheads may not fit, they come at a size that is larger by 10mm in width. I will check with my dealer but I'm thinking Pitlocks may provide the security but also the flexibility of picking and choosing components.

Re: the back wheel I wasn't asking for Co formation on size, but trying to wrap my head around how the axle there works. If it's secured by factory nuts, would I be able to exchange them for whichever systems' solid axle nuts if the size is right?

Looks like it's going to be a toss up between hexlox or pitlocks.

Flexibility to buy front wheel skewer only, proprietary key, uses Allen bolt blockers on components like seats, easy to carry key around and to remove security during maintenance.

Going to be between 130-150 cdn plus 100 for my frame lock.

10% of the bikes value for it's long-term security ain't so bad.

Hey @Scooteretti, thanks for all of your feedback about how some thieves use portable routers to cut cables and about the different sorts of security bolts and lockers. I was impressed these past couple o f years to see the "flip over" technology from Zefal and Kryptonite, but it sounds like the Pinheads come in a wider range of sizes? In your comment you said you preferred those or they offered more security? Why is that, I feel like the flip over hardware would be more secure but perhaps I'm missing something :)

Hey @Scooteretti, thanks for all of your feedback about how some thieves use portable routers to cut cables and about the different sorts of security bolts and lockers. I was impressed these past couple o f years to see the "flip over" technology from Zefal and Kryptonite, but it sounds like the Pinheads come in a wider range of sizes? In your comment you said you preferred those or they offered more security? Why is that, I feel like the flip over hardware would be more secure but perhaps I'm missing something :)

Hey!

Pitlocks: The widths of skewers has more range. so for example, they have two or three sizes with specific ranges for different size dropouts. having a unique key is pretty neat too.

The flip over is cool, but I'm getting the rear skewer which I don't need at all, and no options for securing seat to post or stem. Just seat post to frame.

Both hexlox and pitlocks have components that can secure the original fasteners (Allen bolts) but can be removed easily as opposed to glued in ball bearings.

One weird discomfort I have with the gravity based skewers? People can google them to figure out the 'trick'. hexlox and pitlocks would take some figuring out since they aren't branded.

Hey Court,

@Court My comments are purely based on observation and not on any actual in house testing. Indeed the flip over technology is handy but one issue I have is that the skewer can still possibly be pried open and damaged by using a pipe, end of an open ended wrench etc as there is only so much pressure that they can withstand........ Like anything a good thief will probably defeat pretty much anything and from looking at items like Pinhead and other brands I and others here at the shop feel that they offer better protection.

Back