Best Lock for fat tire bike.

Depends on where you park, how long you're there, and your tolerance for risk. I recommend mid-level security ratings at the bare minimum. I prefer near the top, myself.

We sell a lot of the ABUS Bordo Big. It's security level is good at 10 out of 15. The Bordo Granite is 15 of 15, but not as long as the Big, so it's a bit harder to use. ABUS folding locks are compact and light, but they're spendy.

In u-locks, I like the Kryptonite New York. It's not as tough as the Fahgettaboudit (9/10 vs. 10/10, I think?), but it's longer and easier to use. I usually pair it with a cable in case I need to lock to something large. Cables are bad security, but they're better than nothing.

Lately, I've been using the ABUS Brooklyn Chain. Its noose makes it versitle, and it's rated pretty high at 12 of 15. It's longer and lighter than the Kryptonite New York noose, so it's easier to use, but it's not quite as tough. They're both heavy, but I'd rather not carry the NY. I use it to lock the bikes to my car when transporting them and I stop to eat or something. The ABUS, I sling bandolier-style and go.

The best lock are always the heaviest and bulky to carry. Even if you lock your bike, there is always the issue with a "crackhead" stealing the quick release front tire, seat with seatpost, rack bag, or any accessories not nailed down. I end up adjusting my security and adding additional layers to the base level security depending on the area, my distance from the bikes, and duration being unattended. I usually take my Osprey backpack when riding to remove anything worth stealing in a few seconds.

Part of the layers would be:

- check into a bluetooth and/or cell system tracker/alarm. I use Boomerang mounted to the downtube and it used the Verizon network to track on the internet, arm with smartphone, and it has a 110 dB alarm on the unit. I use Tile for my car keys; but, it is a Bluetooth system. Hard to track your bike once it gets +30 feet away with bluetooth systems.

- check homeowners/renter insurance to see if you are covered. I'm covered at $500 per incident with my USAA homeowner's policy home or away. You could also check into additional insurance just for the bike if you want a lower deductible or better coverage (like maint also).

- Register the bike with city/state law enforcement (with pics and S/N). Enter bike on national databases like National Bike Registry, Bike Index, Project529, or Bike Registry

What I like about security cables with locks are they are light, easy to use, and easy to carry. What I hate about cables are they can be defeated with one snip from a bolt cutter small enough to fit in backpack. I still have a 12 foot plastic covered security cable w/ lock because sometimes an U-bolt/chain just can't be used. Wife and I rode to Flying Star Cafe for dinner and only a tree was available to lock the bikes. The extra long cable was long enough to wrap around the tree and front/back tires (we ate outside to keep an eye on the bikes). A cable is better than nothing and I would have one on hand if only light security is needed.

From what I've read, most U-bolts or chains +14mm thick are large enough to require more time, larger bolt cutters, or loud grinder to defeat. I would check out YouTube videos on how to defeat any particular U-lock you are thinking about to see if they are worth the risk-vs-cost-ease of daily use. I have two Xena U-locks and one 14mm Xena chain (XSU-310 & XUL-210 & XC-14). Extremely heavy and I usually only take the longest U-bolt to lock both bikes together along with cable when riding around town. I figure the Boomerang alarm will give me time to get to the bikes as someone is messing around with the cable and U-bolt.

After viewing lock picking videos on Youtube, you might also agree that any lock can be defeated. Cables can be nipped through a few strands at a time with pocketable wire cutters, picking is not too difficult, and nothing survives a cordless cut-off saw. There are even videos specific to the Bordo. All a lock is capable of doing is slowing down the thief. In relatively secure neighborhoods, a chain and padlock might be sufficient. In high crime areas, use multiple locks and maybe add some sort of discreet motion-activated siren. And, insure your bike.

Last edited:
I live in a high crime area. The lock will be used in our apartment garage which the entire building has access to. I have lived here almost 6 years and there was one break-in into the garage in that time. The garage has 1 foot by 1 foot concrete and rebar support columns. I will have to leave the bike in the garage as I nearly herniated myself taking the bike up 4 flights of stairs. I have opted for the 5 foot Kryptonite New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and New York Disc lock and will attach it to the concrete columns. I doubt I will ever leave my bike locked up outside so weight and portability are really not an issue. I think that I will eventually get the Kryptonite Evolution 7 U-lock that comes with cables in case I ever need to run into a store really quick to grab a drink .or something. Any thoughts on this would be welcome.
kryp.jpg
krpt2.jpg

Horrible experience with Kryptonite locks! :mad:
I've had my new $133 Kryptonite 999492 14mm x 60" (1415) New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and New York Disc Lock for two weeks and used it a few times with success.
Last weekend I had great trouble getting the lock locking hasp to open fully in order to insert the u-shaped shackle. It took about 20 minutes of carefully and repeatedly inserting the keys, poking my pinky finger into the lock holes to press on the partially stuck mechanism, and sending atheist prayers to the bike gods that don't exist. ;) I finally got the damn thing to open.
Today I the keys won't open the lock at all and my $2,000 ebike is stuck.:mad::mad::mad:
I've tried all three keys to no avail. I called today (Saturday) and of course there's no one there to help me out of this desperate situation.
I'll continue my attempts this weekend while I wait for Kryptonite representatives to respond.

My wife and I have a 2-pack of Altor 560G Titanium folding locks, which can be used together or individually. As a 2-pack they came keyed the same, with 4 keys and 2 bottle-cage boss mounts. The only thing that can get through these are multiple hacksaw blades and a whole lot of time, or an angle grinder. They can't be torn apart, chiseled, bolt cut, sledge hammered, wedged apart with a tire iron, or made brittle by freezing.

We also have 2 cable locks that we can use to secure the wheels, but which are too bulky to secure the seats. We don't lock them up outside for anything but short daytime breaks in fairly safe areas. For our Memorial Day weekend trip we kept the bikes in our hotel room.

I carry a TiGr Mini Lock on the commuter. It is less than a pound and pretty secure. I don't lock up much when I commute. https://www.tigrlock.com/about
Their new rectangular mini+ looks like it would work better for me.
On the car hitch rack I use an inexpensive kryptonite ulock with two cables to secure the hitch rack as well as a bike or two while traveling.

Horrible experience with Kryptonite locks! :mad:
I've had my new $133 Kryptonite 999492 14mm x 60" (1415) New York Fahgettaboudit Chain and New York Disc Lock for two weeks and used it a few times with success.
Last weekend I had great trouble getting the lock locking hasp to open fully in order to insert the u-shaped shackle. It took about 20 minutes of carefully and repeatedly inserting the keys, poking my pinky finger into the lock holes to press on the partially stuck mechanism, and sending atheist prayers to the bike gods that don't exist. ;) I finally got the damn thing to open.
Today I the keys won't open the lock at all and my $2,000 ebike is stuck.:mad::mad::mad:
I've tried all three keys to no avail. I called today (Saturday) and of course there's no one there to help me out of this desperate situation.
I'll continue my attempts this weekend while I wait for Kryptonite representatives to respond.

Any resolution with you Kryptonite lock? Received mine today and it is a beast. Don't think anyone is going to cut through this lock and chain. The lock operates smoothly so far. Keeping my fingers crossed.

This is almost too good to be true. A lock that will protect your bike and is light and easy to carry. I have mine wrapped around the seat bag. Ottolock is the company and product. Be sure to watch the videos on their site and YouTube, it's an indestructible locking zip tie. https://ottodesignworks.com/shop/ottolock?field_product_type_value=ottolock. The 30" is just to hitch to a pole, the 60" includes more of your bike for component protection. All components are made and assembled in the US. I'm confident that my bike for a short stay will be where I left it.

OTTOLOCK_60Black_Product17May.jpg

Also bought this Alarm with Motion sensor on Amazon for $30, and it works beautifully. 2 for 2, it's a good day. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) .

1-228x228.jpg

Last edited:
....Also bought this Alarm with Motion sensor on Amazon for $30, and it works beautifully. 2 for 2, it's a good day. (Link Removed - No Longer Exists) ......

After reading the above, I ordered one. Previously, I had used a motion-alarm padlock fastened around the top tube to add some security to a heavy chain with Abus disc lock. The siren padlock worked okay, but isn't close to being as consistently motion sensitive as the G Keni bike taillight. Even the slightest bump of the bike will set off the Keni, and it is seriously loud. If a thief tries to remove or destroy it, the thing is going to make a lot of noise during the struggle.

I have used both my Kryptonite Fahgettaboudit Chain and New York U-lock long shackle with out any issues so far (since beginning of June). I feel that these locks provide me with extreme security and fingers crossed they are still operating smoothly.

Back