Best eMTB motor for 2019 - 9 motors tested.

Ravi Kempaiah

Region
Canada
City
Halifax
eMTB magazine has some solid testing crew. Their conclusions often resonate with a lot of riders. Even though they are based out of Germany, they don't side with any particular brand of motor manufacturer.

They recently tested 9 motors including the TQ motor that goes on the FLYONS and the results are quite interesting.

Read the complete report here: https://ebike-mtb.com/en/the-best-emtb-motor/

"Power is nothing without control. Powerful motors can be hard to control as they can build up power too abruptly or sometimes even inadvertently. Motors should engage and deliver their power as quickly as possible, but should do so smoothly and without being jerky."

1553815772427.png

they are all European legal 250 W nominal motors that act on the crank system. No hub drives were tested. Surprisingly, 3 motors have freewheels that allow one to pedal unpowered - FAZUA’s Evation motor, TQ’s Pin Ring gearbox and Brose’s belt-drive . Yamaha & SHimano drag some, bosch drags a lot when unpowered. Somebody is listening to my desire to extend the battery range by pedaling unpowered half the distance. 80 mile RT daytrips, anyone?

ebike-mtb puts out good reviews but can get be a bit mainstream biased and manufacturer centric.

I still don’t get the 250w/30 minute reg and why any of these bikes with anything over a 500wh battery is considered legal as defined if they have any more than a 499w peak output.

I would like to see a comparison between the TQ and Bafang Ultra and the Bafang M600 and the Brose. Problem is there are no comparable platforms across the pond and as the article says it is not all about the motor.

This tests are well within the law section 25 km / h EU ..... check this using speed unlockers,other world .
"one pedelec mtb can you say that the driving is equal to MTB".

joke of the day

The best law mid-drive TQ.

If there is a speed unlocker for the TQ 250w of haibike then it already has a spectacular set.

1 the more fast...all mid-drive with option unloked speed

2 the best mid-drive is without pedaling resistance

3 the high torque

4 high torque with low/high revolutions per minute

5 plates and cassettes as a multiplier group.
example plate 36 tooh and cassete 10/52 or 2 plates 36/44 and cassete 10/46 with standar formats ,

not exclusive to a manufacturer .

6 Mid-drive assistance with cadence 0 at the start of the march, extremely useful in hill climbing with very high gradients.

7 the full weight, because climbing stairs with 30 kilograms of weight is not easy and being able to remove the battery easily

Bafang Ultra Max
more than 500 watts illegal in the EU

Greetings

Last edited:
4 high torque with low/high revolutions per minute...
That for me is a big plus factor. During my selection process, I found several YouTube reviews that praised the prowess of the Yamaha SyncDrive motor above most others (supposedly near the same as the Yamaha PWX). I was surprised it didn't fare well in that review.

The final conclusion was "The Yamaha PW-X pulls like an ox at low cadences! It feels comfortable on long cruises and tackles steep climbs without breaking a sweat." Sounds fantastic so far right? Then here's the clincher - "Unfortunately, what it doesn't offer is a natural ride-feeling."

I had to laugh! What does a natural ride-feeling have anything to do with riding an eBike? Getting pedal assist of any sort is NOT a natural-ride feeling. And "natural" is so subjective and how does one quantify it's level of desirability.

And the flops?
• Power loss at high cadences. If a rider wants to mash, then the motor helps-out where it's needed. But if the rider wants high cadence then the motor backs off because spinning exists in a gearing combination that requires the least amount of torque output. If the power didn't pull-back at high cadences wouldn't that be an unnatural feeling? Or were they confusing that with the assist cut-off speed limit?
•Pushes unintentionally while stationary. This tendency occurs when riders sit-about chatting with one foot resting forward on one pedal. This feature is actually a huge plus for me because that's when I need the motor to engage immediately should I try to remount my bike halfway up a steep climb. Would it be so hard to just back the pedal to a 12 or 6 o'clock position, rather than to be stuck dumbfounded in the valley of discontent?

What's glaringly obvious is that there was no mention of how noisy the Yamaha motor is. Not glaringly annoying, but yeah it's there. I expected that to be mentioned in the flop list. Makes me wonder if they've even ridden one of these things.

Yeah, I'm a Yamaha fanboi...

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 8.19.09 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-10-04 at 8.19.09 AM.png
    54.5 KB · Views: 615
Back