Bent Derailleur Guard (not what you think)

contraktor

Region
USA
City
Tahlequah
I'd changed a flat and noticed my rear lugs were only finger tight. Also the real derailleur guard's mounting plate was slightly twisted & bent. This was pushing the derailleur mount 'out' forcing the chain off of the chainring in the XP's highest gear. So, now that the derailleur mounting plate is straight again, the derailleur guard won't even go on now lol. Lectric warrantied the part and sent it out within a few minutes of emailing them. Great service.
IMG_20210626_133503.jpg
Screenshot_20210626-144122.png
SNAPPED A BRIDGE PIC & OF PEOPLE FLOATING THE ILLINOIS RIVER WHILE OUT RIDING THIS WEEKEND. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
IMG_20210626_165736.jpg

I'd changed a flat and noticed my rear lugs were only finger tight.
As with all fasteners on any bike or ebike, this is and always your responsibility.

When you do it often enough, it takes under a minute to check criticals before each ride. But most people do not, and your post is proof.

Also the real derailleur guard's mounting plate was slightly twisted & bent.
This piece is supposed to take damage, and is not a part to make a bike work. More important is that there is no frame damage (even if it occured in shipment).

I would just vice/hammer that piece back to shape. Your "deformed" guard is probably a result of assembly from the factory.

Guards are mostly found on kids' bikes because kids are kids, and most pedal bikes don't use guards for weight.

As with all fasteners on any bike or ebike, this is and always your responsibility. When you do it often enough, it takes under a minute to check criticals before each ride. But most people do not, and your post is proof.

This piece is supposed to take damage, and is not a part to make a bike work. More important is that there is no frame damage (even if it occured in shipment). I would just vice/hammer that piece back to shape. Guards are mostly found on kids' bikes because kids are kids, and most pedal bikes don't use guards for weight.
I agree. However, I use the folding feature often and like the protection. Without the guard, I'd have to lookout for the derailleur every time. Peace of mind.

And that's what I was trying to say.

There was no problem with that "bent derailleur guard". They often look like that from the pressure of the axle bolt to frame.

It didn't even have to be removed, all you had to do was re-fasten all fasteners.

You're supposed to look out for your derailleur all the time. What do you think folks do with their Specialized and Trek pedal bikes as they mount them on their hitch carriers?

After removal, fix tube flat, repair tire, & reinstalling the rear rim. I chose to leave it off. Eventually I'll delete the fenders, rear rack & install whitewalls. Something to do after the weekend of the forth. With all of these rides to the River this holiday, the rack & panniers are providing usefulness lol.

Back