BBSHD with an IGH?

Jimmy666

Hello all,
I am going to be converting a 2021 Kona Dew that I am picking up this week to use as a commuter bike and I am playing around with the idea of using a 3 or 5 speed IGH with a nice and strong single speed chain with a tensioner. Has anyone here run this type of set up? Good Idea or bad?
I am not a heavy throttle user and I will have a gear shift sensor. Please feel free to bestow your wisdom on me :)

My bike has a Nexus 8 hub and has been flawless. Just program the BBSHD to bring the power in slowly and you will be fine. In 1300 miles I have had no issues.

My bike has a Nexus 8 hub and has been flawless. Just program the BBSHD to bring the power in slowly and you will be fine. In 1300 miles I have had no issues.
Good to hear and I am down with programming for smoother power delivery. How many times have you had to adjust the hub? I like that it at least looks very simple to do.

Good to hear and I am down with programming for smoother power delivery. How many times have you had to adjust the hub? I like that it at least looks very simple to do.
I have not really had to adjust the hub for any reason other than when I replaced the chain. I have accidentally hit the adjuster at the shifter, but getting it set is as simple as lining up the three dots.

Once you learn how to time the shifts it's pretty simple. And if you find yourself in the wrong gear, the motor has so much torque it doesn't matter much. Just remember not to shift under load, and I would program the motor to cut out immediately when you stop pedaling as well. I don't run any cutoffs or shift sensor and have not had any problems.

Lastly, I think the 8 speed is overkill and that the 5 speed would likely be a really good match for the BBSHD. I would say that 99% of the riding I do is in 5, 6 and 7th gears and I have never been below 4th. In 8th with the assist all the way up I would bet I could hit 40mph which is silly.

I have not really had to adjust the hub for any reason other than when I replaced the chain. I have accidentally hit the adjuster at the shifter, but getting it set is as simple as lining up the three dots.

Once you learn how to time the shifts it's pretty simple. And if you find yourself in the wrong gear, the motor has so much torque it doesn't matter much. Just remember not to shift under load, and I would program the motor to cut out immediately when you stop pedaling as well. I don't run any cutoffs or shift sensor and have not had any problems.

Lastly, I think the 8 speed is overkill and that the 5 speed would likely be a really good match for the BBSHD. I would say that 99% of the riding I do is in 5, 6 and 7th gears and I have never been below 4th. In 8th with the assist all the way up I would bet I could hit 40mph which is silly.
For me going 30 or 32mph downhill is more than enough and even kind of scary lol.

I have a Nexus 8 and a BBS01 and agree a 3 or 5 speed IGH is sufficient for the BBSHD. You asked about adjustment, the shifter cable does stretch but I’ve only needed to adjust it at regular service intervals. But if you fit a Bafang mid drive torque arm, if(when) the hose clamp breaks the motor can rotate up and press on a gear shifter cable routed under the down tube, that can manifest as a stiff shifter or missed gear shifting, an easy fix with a fresh hose clamp to hold the motor in place

Me too! I don't like going that fast. I am more of a 15-18mph PAS 2 (125 watts) kind of guy. If I'm feeling frisky I'll bump it up to PAS 3 (225 watts) and do 19-22.

Well I am scrapping the IGH idea and just going with the cassette I already have. I am wondering about the BB clearance with this shell with a protruding lip that allows room for the cables. Will this be a problem for a BBSO2 or Hd?

Attachments

• 20210925_221607.jpg
    20210925_221607.jpg
    286.9 KB · Views: 261
Well I am scrapping the IGH idea and just going with the cassette I already have. I am wondering about the BB clearance with this shell with a protruding lip that allows room for the cables. Will this be a problem for a BBSO2 or Hd?
It can be done but it is not a typical DYI level job. I have done it on two bikes, both Specialized with the same down tube configuration with internal cables and a hydraulic hose. You could easily mess up your bike. It will take hours of careful work. It is worth it for the willing. Here are those two conversions.

Attachments

• Katies2105.JPG
    Katies2105.JPG
    404.7 KB · Views: 266
  • bDSCF7450.JPG
    bDSCF7450.JPG
    363.6 KB · Views: 293
  • Chisel01.JPG
    Chisel01.JPG
    627.2 KB · Views: 248
  • Chisel02.JPG
    Chisel02.JPG