Battery

Short answer is you can and if it runs, then you have to wonder whether it will blow up. Next reply has the long answer.

Are the controller components rated to work at higher voltage? This would primarily be the electrolytic capacitors, which are usually rated for either 50V or 63V. If only 50V, they will eventually blow up if run on 48V. How do you know? You look at them. All of them.

Is there an over-voltage circuit? Well, you can't tell until you hook it up. If it runs, there isn't one.

There is always a low voltage circuit, set around 30 V for a 36V battery. A 48V battery cannot be allowed to run that low, but most of them have their own low voltage shutoff.

Your battery indicator will be wrong, if you have one.

And keep your second controller ready. You never know if the circuit has something else in it that will pop at higher voltage.

I have several batteries that are 36V, 48V, and 52V, and I like the flexibility of being able to put any of them into my ebikes, but I only do it if I believe the controller is compatible. I cannot run my 48V middrive motor on 36V though. It won't start because it thinks the voltage is too low. I had one controller where the capacitors were only rated for 50V. Too bad, as it was very nice. I swapped it out for a higher voltage model.

Last edited:
The hub motor has a tag that states 36v....is that a number i have to follow or is it all in controller

Some controllers AND motors are capable to run at a range of voltages. More info would help determine.

I have limited info on bike....given to me by local bike shop going out of business, story is a guy dropped bike off to have some work done then never paid for anything or came back....2 years later shop is closing and I stopped in and ended up adopting this orphan.
Electric Vehicle Technologies, Inc....36volt....rear hub motor...battery slides into cradle behind seat post...integrated display panel...8 speed Shimon ..disk brakes front and rear and a step thru design...Will post pics later when put back together....hoping it is worth time and effort to get going.
The sucky part is original battery is lost and the bike shop owner can not remember the #for the guy that has battery

Interesting way to get a bike.

These aren't high power appliances like your microwave or hair dryer which you use safely every day. If you put a 48 volt battery on it, and it's not able to handle the current, you'll blow out some circuit elements or a fuse if it has one. Since you don't have a couple thousand invested, no big deal. Now if you shorted it, yeah, there's enough power in that battery to cause a fire. Melting some MOSFETs - meh.

But why go with 48V? There are 36V batteries available all over AliBaba.

Just reading where some people talk about having different voltage batteries for their bikes and it understanding the thought behind that.....I will just empower with proper voltage if I continue with this project...thank you for reply though

No battery right now? Do you know if the bike runs? Or is this the problem where you need a 4 digit code to power up the controller?

Right. .. .need code to activate motor. Have temp battery pac and display powers up with power button, lights work and brake lights but motor power locked out....hate to change controller and display because the original is very neet looking...head light and display integrated into one housing...

Back