Battery Upgrade/Backup

SpiderDice

Looks like this battery from Lunacycle will work right out of the box. Has anyone tried using a 52v battery on their Rad Rover? What kind of differences are you seeing?

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

@SpiderDice Haha! My skills at installing it were pretty horrible. It's not nice and smooth looking like @Mike in Spokane is. It should be the same demensions I would think. If not, the bag "failure" can always come off the bike. Stealth be damned! lol

@SpiderDice @opimax @NinjaNick This message greeted me last night when my new battery and hotrod controller didn't arrive and I checked the tracking number on UPS:

"A train derailment has delayed delivery. We're adjusting plans to deliver your package as quickly as possible. / Delivery will be rescheduled."

This is the luck I have lol...

Bad news for sure, check the package extra carefully for damage inside and out...at least you have your bike over the holiday :( . Lawn mowing and cook out today , no riding.

@opimax Will do opimax! Hopefully it'll be ok. I'm gonna try to ride today since the weather is perfect so don't be jealous lol. Cookout sounds great though and I'm sure you'll get to ride on the 4th. I got my bike stand and specialty tools in last night so I'll be ready to install the BBSHD next week!

Damn, sorry to hear about the delay. You have to get a new controller to go along with the bigger battery? Which one did you buy?

@SpiderDice You don't, I just chose to so I would have a little more torque/acceleration. I went with the hod rod from Luna Cycle. It may or may not work, but for $55 bucks I'm willing to experiment. I can always save it for a third ebike build lol.

Last edited:
Is there any downside of not switching it out? The standard controller will be able to handle the larger voltage?

@SpiderDice Oh yeah. Our factory controllers are way overbuilt. The stock one should be able to handle up to 60V and 30 amps. When our stock batteries come off of the charger they are over 54V and the controller pushes 16 amps at most so it's a very reliable system. Our factory controller is a sealed, fully potted, 12 FET unit that has aluminum cooling fins on the inside keeping everything from getting hot.

@SpiderDice It did! It arrived last night. I did opt for the upgraded 300W charger. We shall see how it does today maybe if the weather holds out. I checked the battery last night and it's full going by the gauge on the battery.

Back