Battery quicky

elliot friedman

Afternoon,

Does a waning battery drain quicker as it gets older? I have a 2 year old 400 watt Bosch battery that seems to be drain more rapidly then I seem to remember. It only has about 100 full charges on it and when fully charged it does read within a few miled shorter then when new. I could understand the shortness of a full charge do to usage, but can it drain quicker? Also, the temperature around the city is at least 25-30° lower than the dog days of summer which could contribute to the faster discharge.

Just looking to see if it's a normal battery characteristic.

Thanks, enjoy the day,

elliot

The capacity of a new lithium-ion battery will drop quickly in a short period of time. Not way down, but noticeably. Then it goes into a long plateau, continuing to drop constantly but very little. Finally, towards the end of its useful life, it will start dropping quickly again.

So yeah, if you've got 100 charges on it, then you've been through the quick drop. It won't charge as fully and, since it has less capacity, it will drain more quickly under similar loads because there isn't as much charge to begin with.

There's always a chance you have one or more cells that are bad or going bad. I would think well stocked LBS that sells Bosch powered bikes could check the battery for you.

Bruce showed a graph of a discharge curve. A battery "cycle life" graph would look a little different.

There's always a chance you have one or more cells that are bad or going bad. I would think well stocked LBS that sells Bosch powered bikes could check the battery for you.

Bruce showed a graph of a discharge curve. A battery "cycle life" graph would look a little different.
Ooops, posted the wrong graph. Here's the one I meant to show:

Back