Battery problem

Jayeffel

Region
USA
I have a Giant LaFree +1 and am experiencing problems with the battery. I had a problem similar before due too the bike being in a lot of rain and apparently water getting into the motor. When I would push the button to turn the battery assist on all lights on the right (battery charge level)on the right would light up, the left lights (level of assist power) would all light up temporarily then only the lower light would show and a red light showed. I took it to the dealer and got it back after a while, I honestly do not know what he did but it was under warrant and there was no charge. He said it was due to the water. This was last year I think.

The other day I was doing something around the bike and it tipped over and chipped the side of the battery some, a few cracks appeared. I covered them with a silicon sealer and made sure it covered the cracks. Then today when I went to use the bike it did exactly as I mentioned above, In could not use the power assist. It did rain here last night some and the bike was outside, I wonder if the battery was affected by the fall or a little water got into something it should not have. A message from other dealer indicated a new battery may be around $600.00.

How would In check for water damage? Would letting the bike sit in the hot weather dry it out? Would a cracked area about 1 1/2 inches by 1/2 inch ( maybe smaller) cause problems?

1 you need a new battery. Batteries in general are not to be used if physically damaged. This apples to little coin and AAA size as it does with a Tesla.

2 Take your bike to your LBS and have them do a tear down to ensure there is no residual water in the motor.

Sorry you are learning the hard way.

I'm curious why you let it unprotected outside in the rain? A bike cover or vinyl storage box is cheap compared to what you are doing to the bike. I think you should change the title to , "Unprotected eBike problem"

I'm curious why you let it unprotected outside in the rain? A bike cover or vinyl storage box is cheap compared to what you are doing to the bike. I think you should change the title to , "Unprotected eBike problem"
Rich: It was covered the other night, left it out because no rain was in sight and I was going to use if early in the morning. I usually have it in a shed but had it on the bike rack and the battery was covered some. I don't think the rain was the problem this time.

1 you need a new battery. Batteries in general are not to be used if physically damaged. This apples to little coin and AAA size as it does with a Tesla.

2 Take your bike to your LBS and have them do a tear down to ensure there is no residual water in the motor.

Sorry you are learning the hard way.
That is where it is presently, hoping!

Back