Battery history question

Afanifitafa

First, the background: I arranged to buy a brand new Stromer ST2 for my husband from Crazy Lenny’s which was shipped to us in California in May this year. It arrived in beautiful condition with the rear wheel already attached, and we reattached everything else carefully using a torque wrench. After riding his new bike several times husband experienced some problems so we took it in to our local electric bike shop for a tune-up in July. The shop owner, who sells Stromers, fixed the bike himself and let us know when we came to pick it up that the rear wheel had been over-torqued about 40-50 nMs and luckily it appeared not to have been damaged. I also learned that the battery was the purple 618 watt and not the 814 watt battery that is advertised as standard for the ST2. I had been charging the battery without removing it from the bike, so I hadn’t noticed it was the lesser 618 watt version.

So in the interest of letting Crazy Lenny’s know about the quality control issue and rectifying the smaller battery issue, I sent them an email, and this is the response I received:

In checking with out technicians regarding the torqued rear wheel, this is something that comes set from the factory and is not something that we would have reset unless someone bought it in for repairs and it was necessary to have removed the wheel.

Regarding the battery we will replace the purple battery with the orange one. Please send it to us and as soon as we receive the battery and verify it is a new battery and matches the mileage on the bike, we will send you the other one.

What concerns me in this situation is that the bike has been ridden about 400 miles per the Stromer app, of which my husband has contributed only 100. The battery appears to be new, but how can I know its history, whether it is really new and especially whether it matches the mileage on the bike, as we have no idea about its history before it came to us? Do any of you have a brand new Stromer that shows 300 miles already logged by someone else?

I would have welcomed a tiny bit of remorse by Eddie’s for putting us in this situation (I believe the smaller battery costs $500 less than the one advertised as standard) and some concern for the over-torquing, but before I respond to this email it would be helpful to have input from fellow Stromer owners.

Update: I have been working with Cindy at Crazy Lenny’s, and I think I now know what happened with our Stromer ST2. Stromer headquarters in San Diego shipped the ST2 to Crazy Lenny’s as a brand new bike. However someone in the corporate office—or perhaps several people—were using the bike, and it accumulated 374 miles before being shipped out as “new” to Crazy Lenny’s. Almost certainly someone in the corporate office inserted the smaller, less powerful, non-standard, purple battery and over-torqued the rear wheel. After receiving the bike from Stromer, Crazy Lenny’s, none-the-wiser, then shipped the bike—still in its packaging—to us.

As I was setting up the Stromer app on my husband’s iPhone, I initially saw that the last location of the bike was in San Diego. As I zoomed in on the location I saw that it appeared to be the Stromer corporate office. The app showed that 374 miles had already been ridden.

So by now I have spent quite a few anxious hours trying to sort this out. Lots of emails and phone calls. As of today Crazy Lenny’s is sending us the correct and standard ST2 battery and will refund our money when they receive the purple battery that shipped with the bike.

My final concern is how to handle the issue of paying for a “brand new” bike and being sent one that was definitely used for a considerable distance. I worry too that the over-torquing may have caused as yet unseen damage that may appear later.

Below are screenshots from the Stromer app. (My husband has added 99 miles to the original total.)

I welcome any thoughts or advice my fellow Stromer forum members may have on this situation.

Attachments

• 3343E320-1698-4EAE-906F-AA025332E306.png
    3343E320-1698-4EAE-906F-AA025332E306.png
    183 KB · Views: 483
  • 181E13F8-D268-48FE-B6A7-922660C4BCD8.png
    181E13F8-D268-48FE-B6A7-922660C4BCD8.png
    175 KB · Views: 489
  • CE01CF31-00F1-4E69-B463-BD9735DE8C94.png
    CE01CF31-00F1-4E69-B463-BD9735DE8C94.png
    160 KB · Views: 497
This happened to my first Stromer as well. It was new but had a few hundred miles on it. I didn’t go into the service menu check and see the battery condition. I just had the bike swapped out for another and a new battery as well.

Update: I have been working with Cindy at Crazy Lenny’s, and I think I now know what happened with our Stromer ST2. Stromer headquarters in San Diego shipped the ST2 to Crazy Lenny’s as a brand new bike. However someone in the corporate office—or perhaps several people—were using the bike, and it accumulated 374 miles before being shipped out as “new” to Crazy Lenny’s. Almost certainly someone in the corporate office inserted the smaller, less powerful, non-standard, purple battery and over-torqued the rear wheel. After receiving the bike from Stromer, Crazy Lenny’s, none-the-wiser, then shipped the bike—still in its packaging—to us.

As I was setting up the Stromer app on my husband’s iPhone, I initially saw that the last location of the bike was in San Diego. As I zoomed in on the location I saw that it appeared to be the Stromer corporate office. The app showed that 374 miles had already been ridden.

So by now I have spent quite a few anxious hours trying to sort this out. Lots of emails and phone calls. As of today Crazy Lenny’s is sending us the correct and standard ST2 battery and will refund our money when they receive the purple battery that shipped with the bike.

My final concern is how to handle the issue of paying for a “brand new” bike and being sent one that was definitely used for a considerable distance. I worry too that the over-torquing may have caused as yet unseen damage that may appear later.

Below are screenshots from the Stromer app. (My husband has added 99 miles to the original total.)

I welcome any thoughts or advice my fellow Stromer forum members may have on this situation.
Similar experience: I bought an ST5 that had been used as a demo at my dealership so I knew it had 200+ km on it (got a great deal). However, it was sold as a new bike with full warranty and I am the only registered owner. My bike did not have the proper battery as was your experience. I had the ST2 Gold 814 Wh battery but the dealer contacted Stromer and they provided a new Blue 983 Wh battery. Also, I was not supplied with the charger for the Di2 electronic shifting and the dealer also provided that after the fact. I can't say I was happy about the confusion, but am satisfied with the outcome and I love the bike.

A strange collection of weird incidents:

• A Stromer officially on the shipping with the battery inside
  • A Stromer officially delivered with a weaker battery then in the specs
  • A Stromer officially delivered without the Shimano charger
  • A Stromer officially delivered with a rear axle too strong mounted (will cause malfunction of the TMM4)
  • A Stromer user never tested the eject mechanism of the battery compartment
  • A Stromer user never checked the total km on the display
All this makes me believe, I you plan to buy a Stromer, you should read carefully the test reports here. Then you know, which points you have to check before you leave the store

Why do I have to check that a new bike is new ? This makes no sense to me, if I have e to check this I should not be dealing with this company

See my other post today , Stromer USA day s getting pretty suspect to me

Why do I have to check that a new bike is new ?

Because of getting familiar with the settings which are needed to ride the bike.

When you click through the various display options to set all the necessary values, you will automatically see the Total km screen. As you have a very good dealer, he had previously explained, which values you should set.

The question: How can I know, if my Stromer dealer will be reliable? comes up from time to time, so I made a shortlist of questions which may help (from stromerforum.ch):

Was ist ein "guter Händler"?

Beratung, Auswahl verschiedener Stromer zur Probefahrt?

Nicht nur, darum hier einige Anmerkungen zur Beurteilung gedacht als lose Sammlung von Beurteilungskriterien.

Bei der Übergabe des gekauften Stromers:

• Ist der Stromer mit OMNI auf dem Kundennatel verbunden?
  • Ist der Stromer via Bluetooth mit dem Kundennatel gekoppelt?
  • Wurde das Konzept des Stromer-Fahrens wenigstens ansatzweise erläutert?
Im Pannenfall:
  • Erkennt der Händler den Fehler so wie es der Kunde tut?
  • Schlägt er eine konkrete Lösungsstrategie vor?
  • Erhält der Kunde einen Ersatz-Stromer?
  • Wird der Händler selbst aktiv im Verzögerungsfall?
  • Sind die Erklärungen plausibel?
  • Ist der Kostenschlüssel nachvollziehbar?
Für den Händler (und auch hier im Forum) wiederum ist es wichtig, dass der Kunde nicht nur die Störunung benennt, sondern auch erklärt, wie es dazu kam.

Back