Battery Fused to Pace 500

Larrylove

Hi- I couldn't get my battery off my pace 500. Took it to my Ebike guy (love pacific e-bikes) who had to rubber mallet it off and showed me how the battery terminals had fused to connectors on the bike. This seemed to screw up the battery. Now I worry that my second batter will undergo the same. Have 1300 miles over a year and a half. Does anybody have the same problem? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_1563.jpeg
    IMG_1563.jpeg
    238.5 KB · Views: 363
Interesting. Unfortunately, I have to get the electronics on the battery repaired first. Then I will try your apprach.

Usually this only happens if there was moisture on the charger plug or in the charge port. Then when you plug it in under these conditions usually there will be an arc of electricity that will burn components.

I have a month-old Pace 500 and have trouble getting the battery off the bike to charge it. I have to punch it with the side of my hand to get it loose. Any tips? (What’s ACF-50, by the way?)

I have a month-old Pace 500 and have trouble getting the battery off the bike to charge it. I have to punch it with the side of my hand to get it loose. Any tips? (What’s ACF-50, by the way?)
I just bought a Pace 500 Saturday from a dealer. Had the same problem with the battery removal. I took battery assembly apart expecting to find that the locking pin was not retracting far enough. This was not the issue. After playing around I believe I have found the issue. When the battery is inserted or removed from the holder, the electrical connector halves are not mating true to each other. By the design of the holder, with the bottom end inserting first, the male and female connectors do not meet perfectly. They are at a slight angle to each other until fully inserted. These connectors are not very forgiving and have hard and sharp corners at the mating surfaces. I took some fine sandpaper and went around the top circumference of each connector half as best I could. This helped greatly. Next I will apply a small amount of dielectric grease to the mating surfaces. Just made this discovery today and don't have any dielectric grease on hand, so I can't comment on effectiveness. This should also help with any water that may enter the connector, as discussed in the opening post of this thread. Do NOT use ordinary grease!

Follow-up. After light sanding and very light coating of dielectric grease the battery pops out easily.

Hi- I couldn't get my battery off my pace 500. Took it to my Ebike guy (love pacific e-bikes) who had to rubber mallet it off and showed me how the battery terminals had fused to connectors on the bike. This seemed to screw up the battery. Now I worry that my second batter will undergo the same. Have 1300 miles over a year and a half. Does anybody have the same problem? Thanks
Dielectric grease on the terminals. Must be dieletric!

Good to know, I've also had a bit of a challenge getting my battery out, at 600 miles and commute 3 times per week with it, seems now a good yank will get it out of there but not in love with doing that, will look into the grease solution a bit more

Thanks for this! I also have the battery issue on my Pace 500.

KWR

Attachments

• E5262F41-8778-4A77-BB47-D8EB1E1BFDF1.jpeg
    E5262F41-8778-4A77-BB47-D8EB1E1BFDF1.jpeg
    595 KB · Views: 248
Just put some dielectric grease on the terminals so excited to see how it works while commuting to work this week. Nice story: guy at autozone just handed them to me and said have a good day, they are pretty cheap but still felt good to get them on the house. Great day for a ride here in sunny Scottsdale! Temps are turning to perfection for bike weather

I should have added a question and curious what others do, are you leaving the battery on the bike when not riding or is it better to take the battery off the bike? At the office I take it off and at home I’ve been leaving it on but tempted to take it off now.

Follow-up. After light sanding and very light coating of dielectric grease the battery pops out easily.
Hi Gary,
Thanks for the tip. I have 2 Pace 500 bikes I tried light sanding the top edges of the battery and bike socket and applied a very light coat of dielectric grease and I see improvement. When you say the battery pops out easily can you now remove it with just the leaver or do you still have to push from the other side as well? I got it to that point. I am trying to figure if I sanded and greased enough.

Hi Tim. I did not do much sanding at all, just take the sharp edge off the corners. Light grease. It does not "pop out", but does not require any pushing or hitting on opposite side. Just a tug on the lever. I'm quite sure a bit more sanding will improve this, but I'm OK with it as it is.

Hi Tim. I did not do much sanding at all, just take the sharp edge off the corners. Light grease. It does not "pop out", but does not require any pushing or hitting on opposite side. Just a tug on the lever. I'm quite sure a bit more sanding will improve this, but I'm OK with it as it is.
Hi Gary,
I still have to push the back and pull the lever but it is better. Did you sand all the wat arround the base and the plug or just the top half of the circles. At least I do not have to wack the back to get it started anymore.
Tim

I sanded all the way around, but I should have sanded more. The design is inherently bad. Because the battery essentially "hinges" at the bottom, the connector should have been made of nylon or some other slippery, more pliant material. Whatever plastic it is made of is very hard and they are molded with very sharp edges. Poor connector choice for the application, as they do not meet straight on due to the slight arc the battery swings a the top by the hinging action at the bottom. Engineering 101, really. I'm surprised this has not been redesigned by now.

Back