BarnBoy’s Realmax SX-13, 8kW eScooter Adventures….

BarnBoy

Region
USA
City
Pleasanton, CA
Hi folks!
While driving to work in my electric car (NOT a Tesla!) I was at a stop light when someone came up on my passenger side with a rather tall standing two wheel scooter. I didn’t pay much attention until they took off. I may have been going 50mph in the 45mph expressway zone, but this person was going yet faster. OK jump into latest Rabbit Hole with high speed scooters. EBR already has a few scattered posts on them so I asked @troehrkasse where to post my adventures; he said here….

WARNING: these High Speed Scooters are very dangerous and well known to be Donor-cycles or help graduate perspective Darwin Winners….. (start and go slow!)

And an advanced disclaimer; I am not affiliated nor sponsored by Realmax scooters in Hebei China or the eBay seller that will be mentioned below. These are my adventures and I thought others may find the information contained here-in to be “useful“. Intent is to post positive and minimize the slander of any disappointments and help set them as expectations. Will hopefully let you determine if one of these is appropriate for you!

For budget reasons versus “wanting it now!” I settled on a Realmax SX-13 with 60V and 25Ah battery. 8kW is INSANE and I have zero desire to test max power nor the 65mph rated speed; yet. This lead me to Michael Greis at the “ubcopiers” eBay store. Great guy and was very patient in my giddy stupid question phase of this adventure. Ordered it on Friday, arrives Monday (tomorrow!). Wow!!!

My use plan is mostly to get me to/from soccer matches where I referee. More to come. Please press the “LIKE”…
-BB

77D236E3-F2BA-4257-849D-46DF7104A445.jpeg

AFB99552-40FF-4952-8775-53405EB381AE.jpeg
F7178ABC-7447-495A-9024-A05C278C780E.jpeg
A0D6326C-4162-4C95-82B2-A0D8F1EEE836.jpeg

Before we start with an unboxing tomorrow (🤞); I highly recommend reading some of the posts in EBR and the discussions pro/con on these relatively new toys. Also search on scooter for other discussions that may be of interest to you….
-BB

Thread 'High end ebikes vs High end e scooters'

That’s a beast. Is this your first eScooter?

I’ve owned a few low-powered scooters and currently own a NineBot Max and a TurboAnt X7 Pro. I do have the desire to step up to a more powerful dual-motor scooter mostly because of all the hills on my commute. I keep looking at the Apollo Ghost but I’ve not pulled the trigger, yet. I keep coming to the conclusion that I like spending commute time on a bike pedaling rather than standing on a self-propelled platform. I’ve done my entire 12-14 one-way commute a dozen times on a scooter and I hated it. My body gets cold even though I’m layered up because I’m not doing any cardio. Sure is fun for a shorter commute, though.

Enjoy yourself and please get full motorcycle armor and a motorcycle helmet!

Hi @WattsUpDude , so glad you found this thread! PLEASE add to the adventures and experiences! It was some of your posts about using one to get you into the City (back of car!) that got me thinking; then avalanche happened, and suddenly I’m buying one where two days earlier I said “NOPE!”. Today I bought 7iDP pads and helmet ($650) and seriously considering a nice padded jacket/pants; if it can fit my belly/butt! But first rides will use my motorcycle FF dirt helmet…

8kW is just crazy (>10hp!). I know I have to do all kinds of basics (emergency stop; serpentine, balance, bunny hops, quick starts, etc.) before I can really use it. I’m 56 and do not heal as fast. So yes, this is my first eScooter; played on my daughters Razors and had fun…

I was unable to find maintenance nor options info for the SX-13. So maybe this will morph to a “how it works” or “how to make it better” tread. IDK, TBD!

Advice warmly welcomed!!!
-BB

Unboxing day... (Long day!)

First, need to set some expectations with FedEx Freight. The date of delivery is not the delivery to your house, but the freight distribution center where they then call you to then schedule delivery or will call. Today I discovered a new building in Livermore that was not there say 9 months ago; beautiful FedEx Freight distribution center. Remain calm folks, is an interesting process once you understand WTF is going on. But maddening if you spend the day looking at tracking status and get notice truck is returning to the shop….
6ECB52E3-6E9F-4C21-ABAE-37C92FBAC66C.jpeg

Once you get checked in, they bring it to you and help put it in your vehicle….
3596ED81-7A34-4336-9E10-C12D28980C2C.jpeg
5023ED13-E3D8-4A74-B593-17A3C2860E17.jpeg
It fit, but I needed help unloading it from my car and the box. Don’t do it your self!!!
514D415A-A722-415D-84DE-10D29A93F049.jpeg8E33A145-544C-4688-9F9E-E7F0E299FA04.jpeg71FB60D2-CA37-485D-A553-381959F96C72.jpeg

Partial assembly required. I tested brakes, lights and verified torque on EVERYTHING! Out of the box, I am impressed with the quality. I anticipated much worse due to poor pictures. Hopefully I will make up for those mistakes….

On chargers now (comes with two and chargers have fans!!!). Will block dry test and then do my test/training/exercise runs….

Much more fun to come!
-BB

@WattsUpDude - Definitely! Bring you helmet, gloves, knee and elbow pads!!!! 😂

The thing is frick’n crazy. I am so glad I spent yesterday evening tightening all the improperly tightened bolts. I have graduated from Mode 1, single motor to dual motor, to now Mode 2 single and dual motors. I am having issue with the small display not displaying speed, current, distance nor ODO therefore the controller (DAMAO MA01) setting do not appear to help tame the beast. I think it is power only control now and zero speed control. Working with seller and his source. Stay tuned as I learned a ton of information…

So here is a sample run. I will be opening up the platform to see what is inside and see if I can find out why the small display isn’t functioning as I would expect…
-BB
B6D5F762-1059-434C-A073-18F6017A2DDA.png
4A39D4B7-0940-4566-A50C-1F3C6C5CE796.png

@reed scott yes this is dangerous. But so is ebiking! I am now starting to get real comfortable doing speed starts and emergency stops. Along with practicing this, I practice lean-turning and figure-eights in a local parking lot with elbow and knee pads. There are some rough patches and loose gravel that helped me feel comfortable as the terrain changes. I have not tested rough dirt roads yet, but simple gravel paths are easy to flow through. A very interesting feeling flying that low to the ground…

I still have not figured out the speed display issue, and the big display speed is not correct. I have a road speed display sign that matches my Ride w/ GPS and they say 25mph, scooter is saying 67km/h; oops. Will figure this out….

So for people that have a Damao MA01 controller, here are your settings. Press/hold POWER and MODE and the display will show P01. Press POWER to advance through the parameter settings; there are 18 settings. Press MODE to change setting. Many of the parameters have many possible settings and if you go past the setting press/hold POWER and the lower left changes from “A” to “d” and the MODE press will now decrement. This up/down setting returns to increment each power cycle.

P01- display backlight intensity; 1 is lowest and 3 brightest.
P02 - km/h to mph. Some on YouTube say this can change; I couldn’t. The big display doesn’t have a MPH character…
P03 - Voltage; 48, 52 and 60V are options.
P04 - Sleep Time; 1-60 minutes (more on this later!)
P05 - Gears: can’t change…
P06 - Wheel diameter in inches.
P07 - Speed magnets; 1-100
P08 - Speed limit; 0-100 (100 is unlimited)
P09 - Zero start; 0 is zero start, 1 is non-zero start
P10 - Drive mode (not working for me now)
P11 - Assist sensitivity (not working for me now)
P12 - Start Intensity; 0-5 (not working for me now)
P13 - Assist magnet plate: 5, 8, 12
P14 - Current limit (not working for me now)
P15 - Under Voltage (set to 20% of SOA battery voltage)
P16 - ODO: press hold MODE to reset
P17 -Auto Cruse Control: 0 is off and 1 is on.
P18 - Dynamic Brake; 0-3…

Comments on the above:
P17 TURN THIS SETTING OFF!!!! If you have this enabled (default from factory) and hold the throttle for more than 5-8 seconds, that speed will remain. So imagine you are going along and release the throttle expecting to decelerate, but nothing happens! A quick throttle or brake check will turn off cruse for that moment. But turn it off…

The dynamic brake (P18) is really only noticeable at higher speeds or going down a long hill with brakes properly adjusted. I am now OK with setting 2 but setting 3 is very scary being tall.… (work your way up!)

P04 is nice incase you forget to turn off the scooter. But while doing figure eights, I will have the system power down. The throttle is being ignored for this feature. Again not sure if related to my display issue… (stay tuned)

So since I do not have great speed regulation (assume display issue related), the Realmax has ECO/Turbo and Single/Dual switches that help tame the bucking. Mode 1 single motor ECO is as low as it will go. So changing ECO to Turbo and/or Single to Dual is the best way to advance gears. It is more critical to have these power adjustments in Mode 2 and I imagine in Mode 3. You do get use to changing these settings as you need, but currently they do not display on my display. Like starting off; Mode 1 ECO/DUAL is good, then Mode 2 ECO/DUAL as it is not too jerky. I will then jump to Mode 2 Turbo/DUAL to climb hills, and I mean climb! Just lean forward and hang on! Wow this thing has power!!! Too much power for now….

My girls have named it Wally because of the headlights. So some of the things that can be fixed will be Wally Pro Tips….

Wally Pro Tip 1 - use some Loc-Tite thread locker on the brake adjustment knob threads so you can set and maintain the desired brake setting. Else this vibrates loose and brakes change. More critical if using the dynamic brakes…

I mentioned before that my first night was spent tightening all the improperly tightened screws and using thread locker. But the most important one that might get missed is the nylon nut on the red colored mast folding lockdown…

But I’m building a new bracket for the lights. This is the only thing (so far!) I have internally grumbled about. The bracket that comes with is a big spring board and the lights vibrate way too much. Here is a sketch to work with mechanical buddy that accepts wine as payment….🍷
-BB

74295FA0-D65C-4703-9AC9-FF12918A196A.png

@reed scott yes this is dangerous. But so is ebiking! I am now starting to get real comfortable doing speed starts and emergency stops. Along with practicing this, I practice lean-turning and figure-eights in a local parking lot with elbow and knee pads. There are some rough patches and loose gravel that helped me feel comfortable as the terrain changes. I have not tested rough dirt roads yet, but simple gravel paths are easy to flow through. A very interesting feeling flying that low to the ground…

I still have not figured out the speed display issue, and the big display speed is not correct. I have a road speed display sign that matches my Ride w/ GPS and they say 25mph, scooter is saying 67km/h; oops. Will figure this out….

So for people that have a Damao MA01 controller, here are your settings. Press/hold POWER and MODE and the display will show P01. Press POWER to advance through the parameter settings; there are 18 settings. Press MODE to change setting. Many of the parameters have many possible settings and if you go past the setting press/hold POWER and the lower left changes from “A” to “d” and the MODE press will now decrement. This up/down setting returns to increment each power cycle.

P01- display backlight intensity; 1 is lowest and 3 brightest.
P02 - km/h to mph. Some on YouTube say this can change; I couldn’t. The big display doesn’t have a MPH character…
P03 - Voltage; 48, 52 and 60V are options.
P04 - Sleep Time; 1-60 minutes (more on this later!)
P05 - Gears: can’t change…
P06 - Wheel diameter in inches.
P07 - Speed magnets; 1-100
P08 - Speed limit; 0-100 (100 is unlimited)
P09 - Zero start; 0 is zero start, 1 is non-zero start
P10 - Drive mode (not working for me now)
P11 - Assist sensitivity (not working for me now)
P12 - Start Intensity; 0-5 (not working for me now)
P13 - Assist magnet plate: 5, 8, 12
P14 - Current limit (not working for me now)
P15 - Under Voltage (set to 20% of SOA battery voltage)
P16 - ODO: press hold MODE to reset
P17 -Auto Cruse Control: 0 is off and 1 is on.
P18 - Dynamic Brake; 0-3…

Comments on the above:
P17 TURN THIS SETTING OFF!!!! If you have this enabled (default from factory) and hold the throttle for more than 5-8 seconds, that speed will remain. So imagine you are going along and release the throttle expecting to decelerate, but nothing happens! A quick throttle or brake check will turn off cruse for that moment. But turn it off…

The dynamic brake (P18) is really only noticeable at higher speeds or going down a long hill with brakes properly adjusted. I am now OK with setting 2 but setting 3 is very scary being tall.… (work your way up!)

P04 is nice incase you forget to turn off the scooter. But while doing figure eights, I will have the system power down. The throttle is being ignored for this feature. Again not sure if related to my display issue… (stay tuned)

So since I do not have great speed regulation (assume display issue related), the Realmax has ECO/Turbo and Single/Dual switches that help tame the bucking. Mode 1 single motor ECO is as low as it will go. So changing ECO to Turbo and/or Single to Dual is the best way to advance gears. It is more critical to have these power adjustments in Mode 2 and I imagine in Mode 3. You do get use to changing these settings as you need, but currently they do not display on my display. Like starting off; Mode 1 ECO/DUAL is good, then Mode 2 ECO/DUAL as it is not too jerky. I will then jump to Mode 2 Turbo/DUAL to climb hills, and I mean climb! Just lean forward and hang on! Wow this thing has power!!! Too much power for now….

My girls have named it Wally because of the headlights. So some of the things that can be fixed will be Wally Pro Tips….

Wally Pro Tip 1 - use some Loc-Tite thread locker on the brake adjustment knob threads so you can set and maintain the desired brake setting. Else this vibrates loose and brakes change. More critical if using the dynamic brakes…

I mentioned before that my first night was spent tightening all the improperly tightened screws and using thread locker. But the most important one that might get missed is the nylon nut on the red colored mast folding lockdown…

But I’m building a new bracket for the lights. This is the only thing (so far!) I have internally grumbled about. The bracket that comes with is a big spring board and the lights vibrate way too much. Here is a sketch to work with mechanical buddy that accepts wine as payment….🍷
-BB

View attachment 96385
Is this your mid life crisis or your pre-retirement latter life crisis? 🤣

My wife says “BOTH”. Maybe, but I’m going stir crazy waiting for @pushkar and trying very hard not to bug him since I did so while he was on vacation…
-BB

Short update today. Have worn down some to the tire mould marks and got to practice a real world emergency stop! If it is a scooter or bike, before you start to do real world involvement, know how to do an emergency stop. As I expected, my bouncy lights must have triggered the person (🤬) to think it was ok to pull out right in front of me and then squirrel-stop when they heard my horn. Had I not practiced that, I might be writing this from a hospital bed….

Well the bouncy lights are fixed. Basically made a much thicker version of the sheet metal bracket that came with….
710EBB2E-7469-4337-9DC4-A4C166A8AD60.jpeg

So I did a test romp on the local goof course. Oh yeah, I will be back! The concrete golf cart ways are awesome. Has hills and bends to challenge and put together all the pieces I have been practicing and learning. 71D88109-4F04-4CAD-8CE4-F281E56C90D3.jpeg

I am so impressed at the power this thing has on Mode 2 Turbo/Dual. I am still rightfully scared of Mode 3; but getting there…. (Knee and elbow pads for now!)

The next step is to open the battery compartment and see if I can figure out why the display(s) is not working as expected. So more to come….

Thank you for reading…..
-BB

Oops forgot Wally’s Pro Tip 2. The cables can get pinched by the front fork while turning right. Add a simple tie-wrap or p-clip where shown and the potential issue goes away….
Cut this tie-wrap and trim the others that are sharp….
1D9B3DFA-C040-4E27-BDAE-232D3B4097E0.png

Last edited:
The very thought of standing on something that can do 65 mph fills me with dread, sorta like diving
naked into a pool of broken glass. I really should get around to writing a will one of these days.:eek:

Agree @john peck! It is insane and I have zero desire to go into Mode 3 unless I can anticipate a hill that requires that much power to haul my carcass. So far Mode 2 Turbo/Dual can move my >250lbs buttocks anywhere and I am very impressed!!!

Got to test my elbow and knee pads. Short story gone long- pay attention to the stuff in front of you, not all the cool stuff around you!!! Lesson learned…. 😵‍💫

My will and estate plans are all done. Family is waiting for me to die anyway…. 🤡
-BB

Agree @john peck! It is insane and I have zero desire to go into Mode 3 unless I can anticipate a hill that requires that much power to haul my carcass. So far Mode 2 Turbo/Dual can move my >250lbs buttocks anywhere and I am very impressed!!!

Got to test my elbow and knee pads. Short story gone long- pay attention to the stuff in front of you, not all the cool stuff around you!!! Lesson learned…. 😵‍💫

My will and estate plans are all done. Family is waiting for me to die anyway…. 🤡
-BB
I used to want to live to a 100; most in my family have gotten close. Given the deterioration of life on earth,
I´m not so sure anymore. I no longer have a great deal of confidence in the future of this planet. With the
rise of ´extreme´ sports, it seems many of us are in a hurry to get it over. If you don´t believe it, just watch
the Red Bull Rampage downhill bike video. My reckless youth doesn´t get close.

Sorry for a lack in updates. Lots of things happened. So let’s get on with the latest adventures…

Well the first stop was opening the battery compartment to see if I could fix the display. You can see the photos below show a real (?) Panasonic battery 16s5p and 25Ah. So 5A cells, something is strange. The dimensions indicate the pack has 18650 cells. Charging rates indicate closer to a 15-16Ah pack. I will instrument a power meter….
08ECFBCF-8B19-4CB9-BA1E-E9E807DC9C52.jpeg

Digging in the box I eventually found out he issue; broken green wire. A wire diagram would be handy (have requested from seller), most things make sense, but most of the cables use the same 2 pin interface, and some of the cables are hard wired together making the harness a real rats nest. I will update the connectors and especially the power connections on a rainy day. It killed me just putting back the mess and not doing it right…
3B0DA459-7D69-4B5D-9D6A-C646A47CCC63.jpeg

I am currently testing the parameters again to see if I can tame the beast. Some parameters are working and others still not. More to come another day….

As I have mentioned multiple times, I have zero desire to test max speed. Except when lifted off the ground. So testing that, the wheels will free spin at 99 and 78km/k. I trust the 78km/h (48mph) as I know the big display (99) is bogus. Therefore 65mph is BS….. (still crazy fast enough!)

So my best advice I have stated and followed is to practice. Find an empty lot and do loops like the below. Also practice emergency stops. I say this as I was riding down town Pleasanton with cars on my left and parked cars to my right. As I was coming to a stop light, someone opened their car door on me. Yes I fell and got scratches but it would have been far worse had I not practiced emergency stops and sudden turns. Her nice Mercedes leather door panel got more damage from the double-triple clamp fork. You can bet this person will never open their car door without looking…. (Tinted windows; could not see her until too late!)
3E5D5AF5-B2E1-4110-981B-1D3137FA03F4.jpeg

So I added a left side mirror to see cars on my side coming up. It doesn’t help being passed on the right by a biker😂. The red thing is a very strong phone holder. My phone stayed on when the door opened and scooter went the ground with me….
34FB73C7-8BC6-4789-8758-007740962899.jpeg
A316169E-C907-4149-A10A-0B40FE19FCF0.jpeg

So for the price ($2.5K post tax!) this thing is the bomb! Damn fun, but scary! I suspect the lower power version is smoother. I still start in Mode 1- Dual/Eco and then jump to Mode 2- Dual/Eco and jump to turbo to BLAST up any hill. I have a neighbor with a scary steep driveway and tested. It would climb. You can see my first failed attempt (I chickened!) and then second climb to the top. Note the grade…..

Insane!!!!
-BB

06232CC5-9AA0-40F2-9EE1-1DE5EF70E6AF.png

Last edited:
Excellent questions @Haystacks, thank you for reminding me!

Well the 7iDP helmet went back as soon as it arrived. It crushed my 63cm skull. Sent Smith Optics another request for a XL Mainline (full face) as the Smith helmets are the ONLY ones to fit my melon head. They said a year out…. (Use their Convoy!)

So for the pads; yes I definitely tested them and let’s just say the Kevlar material has a lot of friction and darn tough. Since these were designed like warmer sleeves, when I removed the pad post crash, my wife commented she could see the pads waffle pattern in the initial abrasion too. Below is after a week of healing and spray on bandages. So advice is to wear a cotton layer (sweatshirt!) under them on top….
-BB
image.jpg

Back