Bafang Ultra 12v Headlight Wiring?

hmlad

Region
USA
Inspired by @mbouck's thorough writeup, I thought I might add a nice headlight to my Frey Hunter with Bafang Ultra and 48V battery.

I found very few options for 48V lights, but tons of nice 12V motorcycle lights, like this on the front, and these on the back. I figured this waterproof DC step down should make quick work of the voltage conversion, and fit nicely inside the front light housing. I wired it all up with a solid state relay controlled by the Bafang light circuit, and a 3A ATM fuse on the battery tap.

After destroying three SSRs, I think I need help. Without the DC converter attached, the SSR works great. Once I add the DC Converter and light, things break down. The light is initially off (good), and turns on when I switch on the lights (good), but never turns off again (bad). After attempting to switch off the light, the SSR is toast, and leaves the circuit connected.

Some searching turned up flyback current as a common problem when switching an inductive load with a SSR. I added a 1N4007 flyback diode across the DC converter supply wires, replaced the SSR, and tried again. Same thing: light turns on and never turns off.

Now I'm suspecting inrush current, but figured I'd get some more opinions before I make more magic smoke.

@ki11a thanks for the recommendations! I’m hoping to make the 12v lights work more for style than brightness!

Everything but the relay is working, which makes me think I’m a few 50 cent parts away from done. Just need to find the right ones!

Update: got it working! The relay was the weak link. Switching to a Panasonic
AQZ105D (100V 2.3A) did the trick!

Here's the full writeup:

Back