Bafang BBSxx series, Apple Mac access to programming!!

tomjasz

Region
USA
City
Minnesnowta

BafangWebConfig

Cross-platform browser based configuration tool for Bafang BBSxx e-bike motors, runs on Mac, Linux or Windows. It requires a browser with support for Web Serial API, and should work on any recent version of Chrome, Opera or Edge.

Run online​

Click here to start the tool.

Install & run locally​

Download or clone the repository and open BafangWebCfg.html in your browser.

Notes​

USE AT YOUR OWN RISK! Bad settings can fry your motor controller.

If you find any bugs, please report them here.

Thanks to Stefan Penov (https://penoff.me/2016/01/13/e-bike-conversion-software/) and Philipp Sandhaus (https://github.com/philippsandhaus/bafang-python) for their prior work on deciphering the original Bafang Config Tool source code and communication protocol.

More info please? What exactly are we programming? If we're talking UART based controllers, what's the attraction to this software? Why would we change from what we're using? Or is this something that will allow the use of a MAC?

More info please? What exactly are we programming? If we're talking UART based controllers, what's the attraction to this software? Why would we change from what we're using? Or is this something that will allow the use of a MAC?
It’s BBSxx programing. See the first line of my original thread post.
"Cross-platform browser-based configuration tool for Bafang BBSxx e-bike motors, runs on Mac, Linux or Windows. It requires a browser with support for Web Serial API, and should work on any recent version of Chrome, Opera or Edge."

Last edited:
It’s BBSxx programing. See the first line of my original thread post.
"Cross-platform browser-based configuration tool for Bafang BBSxx e-bike motors, runs on Mac, Linux or Windows. It requires a browser with support for Web Serial API, and should work on any recent version of Chrome, Opera or Edge."
So maybe reread mine? Are you saying this works on CANbus? I have Windows. Is there anything this new software you seem to be promoting will do that I can't do with Windows?

Bottom line, why would anyone currently using Windows care about this new package? I could care less about Linux or Macs.

I could care less about Linux or Macs.
I could care less about ultra motors. The above link is all about BBSxx programming. Just as I wrote. "Bafang BBSxx e-bike motors,"
Bottom line, why would anyone currently using Windows care about this new package?
It's easier for many. None of the USB issues I saw with customers. If it's not useful to you, just move along...

I could care less about ultra motors. The above link is all about BBSxx programming. Just as I wrote. "Bafang BBSxx e-bike motors,"

It's easier for many. None of the USB issues I saw with customers. If it's not useful to you, just move along...
Pardon me for asking sir. I though maybe you could take a second and share what you know about this software you're promoting, and compare it to what everyone's been using for the last few years. From the tone of your replies, you either don't know a thing about it, or you're out of your meds....

Pardon me for asking sir. I though maybe you could take a second and share what you know about this software you're promoting, and compare it to what everyone's been using for the last few years. From the tone of your replies, you either don't know a thing about it, or you're out of your meds....
Its no different than what we are all using. But for someone coming into the game fresh, it gives them a browser-based option. Apparently the method of connecting has some advantages. I know when I was using the original Penoff software I finally ended up having connectivity issues and chucked it in favor of ... a $150 Black Box. I've never regretted that purchase as BBSHD#7 has now arrived awaiting a project... but lots of people could benefit from this.

This is for the new guys. Not us.

Its no different than what we are all using. But for someone coming into the game fresh, it gives them a browser-based option. Apparently the method of connecting has some advantages. I know when I was using the original Penoff software I finally ended up having connectivity issues and chucked it in favor of ... a $150 Black Box. I've never regretted that purchase as BBSHD#7 has now arrived awaiting a project... but lots of people could benefit from this.

This is for the new guys. Not us.
Thank you so much for that info! It's too bad so much bandwidth was wasted getting it!

So maybe reread mine? Are you saying this works on CANbus? I have Windows. Is there anything this new software you seem to be promoting will do that I can't do with Windows?

Bottom line, why would anyone currently using Windows care about this new package? I could care less about Linux or Macs.
And youre at the center of the BBSXX universe. I should’ve known better than to respond in kind. I’m not promoting anything. Just a simple share.

And youre at the center of the BBSXX universe. I should’ve known better than to respond in kind. I’m not promoting anything. Just a simple share.
Yes, I like to keep up with what's going on in Bafang land. That shouldn't be news to anyone that's been around here a while. It was an easy question that would only have taken a second to answer. Instead, you decided to get snarky.....

you either don't know a thing about it, or you're out of your meds....
One of the motivations for giving up my CS commissions was the market move to ultra-style motors.
I know nothing about them and have zero interest in learning.

I don't understand the need to add comments like, "off your meds" The OP was clearly geared towards BBSxx series drives not the frame integrated motors. CANbus means nothing to me and I do not spend any time trying to keep up on Bafangs latest nightmare. G510 controllers were a common failed component ordered from CA eBike. Different connectors and firmware on G510 versions have really confused the users. And I have ZERO time for any more Bafang mid drives.

I do have a new 36V 500W BBSxx but it'll go on my wife's eBike and she's really easy on whatever motor I choose for her bike, 5'9" 120lbs.

After watching @PedalUma builds I'm liking the changes made to the TDDZ2. I had an early version and disliked it, but my dislikes appear to be sorted.

for us noobs, with this work on the Bosch Performance Line Speed, Gen4 with the Kiox Display, or is that canbus?

One of the motivations for giving up my CS commissions was the market move to ultra-style motors.
I know nothing about them and have zero interest in learning.

I don't understand the need to add comments like, "off your meds" The OP was clearly geared towards BBSxx series drives not the frame integrated motors. CANbus means nothing to me and I do not spend any time trying to keep up on Bafangs latest nightmare. G510 controllers were a common failed component ordered from CA eBike. Different connectors and firmware on G510 versions have really confused the users. And I have ZERO time for any more Bafang mid drives.

I do have a new 36V 500W BBSxx but it'll go on my wife's eBike and she's really easy on whatever motor I choose for her bike, 5'9" 120lbs.

After watching @PedalUma builds I'm liking the changes made to the TDDZ2. I had an early version and disliked it, but my dislikes appear to be sorted.
Please note that the Ultra controller uses the same programing software the BBSxx series uses. If it works on a BBSxx, it will work on an Ultra. That said, I know you don't mess with Ultra's, and never mentioned Ultra anywhere.

I did not know that the new production BBSxx series motors were still UART based. I thought when Bafang switched the Ultra's, they switched the BBSxx's as well?

I'm liking the changes made to the TDDZ2
Thanks! Here is one that is almost ready. For some reason it developed a front flat overnight. I will pick up highly polished crank arms this afternoon and solder in the battery connection. Check out the housing color to the battery. Look closely on the lower seat tube by the bottom bracket. Also look at the housing color on the HB. I must have screwed up when putting on the WTB gravel tires. Oh well. The final step it giving the owner a wicker basket with flowers and wine for the front. Girls become giddy when they see a bike with pink rims. The color scheme is Spring Blossoms caught in a sunbeam against a rain laden sky when a rainbow appears with unicorns and all that s*it. It is also getting a polished chainring.
1645735624005.jpeg

1645734910532.jpeg

Back