Aventon Aventure or Something Else

CrumhornDiver

Region
USA
I recently went down this particular rabbit hole and want to purchase my first eBike. I have been saving up for a conventional road bike, but I think that has always been more aspirational. Plus, where I live in Upstate New York, the roads are not great, some are gravel/unpaved, and potholes. Oh, and the rolling hills everywhere.

I started looking at online reviews for the RadRovers 5 & 6+ which led to Himingway Cruiser which led to Aventon Aventure. I think of those three, I've settled on the Aventure if I am going to purchase a fat tire eBike. I think it has good power and range and the biggest complaints I see are with the acceleration/throttling and not being wrist powered but rather trigger powered. I'm not overly concerned with either, given how many stellar reviews there are.

There are a few things that give me pause:
#1 do I want or need fat tires for the type of riding I will do (I think it could be a broad mix so I'm inclined to lean in that direction); but should I be considering the level or something else?
#2 are there other options that would give me more range, such as the Himingway Zebra or the Juiced RipCurrent S. I plan to look into both a bit more.
#3 should I be looking at mid-drive bikes?
#4 is it worth looking at the Treks, Specialized, and Giants of the world? It seems like all of their bikes are more expensive and few seem as versatile as the fat tire bikes mentioned above.

Money is not the most important factor if I get the best bike for me. I think any of the bikes mentioned above will serve me well, but I'm hoping that some of you experienced riders can chime in more.

Thanks in advance for your thoughtful responses.

Fat tires 4" and up are very useful for fresh powder snow and fluffy beach sand. Because of the max 30 psi, they are not much use for carrying cargo. Because of low pressure fat tires get a lot lower mileage out of a battery compared to a 2.1". Some people report fat tires are hard to get off the rim to change a tube, and some people report fat tires steer you instead of you steering them.
I do well on 2.1" tires through gravel construction zones but you might want to look at something with 2.4" tires or 2.8" tires like the surface 604 shred. https://surface604bikes.com/products/2022-shred I haven't seen one but if they are 55 psi tires (ask them) they are much more useful for carrying a trophy. It has 27.5" wheels to smooth out the bumps if you're tall enough. Also a front suspension. 9 speeds and a geared hub motor will get maybe 50% to 150% more life out of the chain than 9 speed mid drive. One needs a mid-drive to climb 1000' in an hour. I don't think there are any 1000' tall mountains in NY. I cross 80 hills in 30 miles with a geared hub drive. Surface 604 has torque sensing control which is one of the big sales points of the mid-drive bikes. The more you push down on the pedal the more power it adds. Personally I hated cadence assist, level 1 was too fast and accelerated too fast for many of the roads I ride on.
Any internet bike you are the service department. How good are you? How big is your bike tool drawer? Many LBS won't work on electric bikes they didn't sell because they can turn into piles of scrap with one false move.
Trek Specialized Giant are huge and their failure rate is low. Dealer support is generally adequate although a few dealers are *******s after the money changes hands. Check brand thread known problems thread for count of posts of any brand you are considering. Specialized has had some cracked frames and one poster complained he was without a bike from fall until spring when the new frame came in. Bosch mid drives on most mainstream brands have great support, also >$1300 patented batteries and a motor you drag with your feet if you run the battery to zero. (except top of line). Giant uses yamaha which does not drag the motor with your feet. Mid drives dominate the market because dealers near the Rockies Cascades or Sierras get stuck with warranty work if a new owner climbs a tall mountain and burns a geared hub motor. Not all of us live out there or want to tour out there. I bought off the internet because Pedego is the only dealer within 70 miles and I don't run a car anymore. If I have a failure, I throw some part away and buy another on the internet. I'm getting front hub motors for $23+freight now, used batteries for $70 + freight.

Last edited:
I own and ride both geared hub and mid drive bikes regularly. I'm also in an area with some pretty good size rolling hills. I would suggest that the mid drive call be based on your weight. My wife/riding partner weighs less than half of what I do and can get away with her 500w geared hub bikes about anywhere I go with 2-3 times that mount of power....

If you're a big guy, you want all the climbing power you can get occasionally.

@indianajo, thanks for that feedback. I'll take a look at the shred. You're right cadence sensing vs. torque sensing is another drawback of the Aventure. I belive the Ripcurrent S uses torque sensing. But I agree, a bike that has that feature is preferred. There aren't tall mountains nearby but enough hills that every ride will have hills. I have friends (a couple) that have Giant Momentums that they love. Not quite the bike for me, but he's bigger than I am and says he has no problem getting up hills in our area with that bike, which I believe has a 500w mid drive motor.

@AHicks, I am a bigger guy. If I found what I want in a bike with mid-gear, I'll definitely go in that direction.

@Rome, funny you should mention the Kepler because that also came up for me this afternoon.

@indianajo, the shred and the quad from Surface 604 look like contenders. While pricier, you get a lot with them and I think that they're likely just as versatile for my area as a fat tire bike would be. Adding that you still have large tires and shave 8-10 lbs off the weight, I don't feel like I'll be in peril if I was riding down a road and hit potholes or had to roll off onto an uneven shoulder, which I think I would on most commuter bikes.

I also think for fat tire bikes, I'd pick the RipCurrent S over an Aventure. Both the Surface 604s and the Juiced bikes have torque sensors, which sound like they will make a good bit of difference in the ride.

One thing I'm still not clear on is the hub motor. Is 500w hub enough in the Surface 604 bikes? It seems to be. Is 750w enough or is it worth the premium to upgrade to 1000w on the Juiced New RipCurrent S? Or look for a 1500w hub motor? I'm not sure.

Watts are a lot of puffery IMHO. Amps out of the controller determine hill climbing on a geared hub. I have a 25 amp controller & 48 v battery, a combination that can't be sold today because of the 750 w limit of the statuatory 3 class system. My geared hub from ebikeling was sold in 2017 as a "1300 w" system, and it climbed very well until the gears wore out @ ~4500 miles. $221, no great loss. Mac12t climbed better with an ASI controller. Had a "1000 w " label, probably why nobody stocks them in the US anymore.
Problem with juiced, they have a "known problems and solutions" thread 774 entries long. Surface has 30 entries. Surface is newer and the sales is smaller, so the fraction of junk bikes might be comparable. I'm not a surface owner, I'm just impressed by 2.8" tires for off road use. Other brands have 2.4" tires. I'm okay with 2.1" tires but a little more float would be appreciated, as long as the pressure didn't go below 55 psi.

Last edited:
@Rome, thanks. It looks like it's a great deal and well worth considering. However, I want to get on a bike ASAP. Therefore, worth skipping for this season.

@indianajo, lots of good points there. The Shred is looking better and better the more I look into it.

I'm going to look at some eBikes locally in person tomorrow. My hunch is they'll be more commuter eBikes that might not take the crappy roads where I live, but we'll see. I'll keep looking and reading but will probably pull the trigger on something by Sunday. Amazing that the bike I settled on yesterday is already out the window today. I spent two days getting to that one!

@indianajo, thanks for that feedback. I'll take a look at the shred. You're right cadence sensing vs. torque sensing is another drawback of the Aventure. I belive the Ripcurrent S uses torque sensing. But I agree, a bike that has that feature is preferred. There aren't tall mountains nearby but enough hills that every ride will have hills. I have friends (a couple) that have Giant Momentums that they love. Not quite the bike for me, but he's bigger than I am and says he has no problem getting up hills in our area with that bike, which I believe has a 500w mid drive motor.

@AHicks, I am a bigger guy. If I found what I want in a bike with mid-gear, I'll definitely go in that direction.

@Rome, funny you should mention the Kepler because that also came up for me this afternoon.
This bike is sort of a compromise. Your choice of geared hub or mid. With the mid, you should be able to climb anything you like. The tires that come on it should do fine for trail and light off-road, but there appears to be plenty of room for 27.5x2.4" which will be an improvement in off road ability, without killing performance on pavement.

Very similar bike, with WAY more power (currently there is no more power available anywhere for any price). Comes with your choice of conventional or fat tires

Bottom line, these are pretty decent, especially considering their cost. There's nothing sub standard about them, and they're built without using proprietary parts.

@AHicks, thank you! I will look at these Rize bikes also. I hadn't found anything close to that price that would fit that bill on my own. It seems to be such a fractured market dependent on word of mouth or finding a reference to additional brands/bikes in forums like this.

If there are other similar bikes I should consider at a higher or lower price point, please point them out.

@AHicks, thank you! I will look at these Rize bikes also. I hadn't found anything close to that price that would fit that bill on my own. It seems to be such a fractured market dependent on word of mouth or finding a reference to additional brands/bikes in forums like this.

If there are other similar bikes I should consider at a higher or lower price point, please point them out.
Biktrix are often another popular choice, though they seem to emphasize fat tires and dual batteries.
https://www.biktrix.com/pages/ultimate-electric-bikes

Another you hear about-

With the mid, you should be able to climb anything you like.
After you move or take your bike for a ride in your car to the Rockies. There aren't any 1000' mountains in the Appalachians.
Yesterday occured a reason for a hub drive. I was putting my pants clip on that I had forgotten to put on at the grocery store, and my bike fell over. The chain popped off the derailleur takeup. With hub drive I could drive home under power and fix it later in old clothes. With mid I would have had to sit on the ground in my good clothes, risk a oil spot on my sleeve from holding the bike up (wanted to fall right even with 2 legged stand & 8 liters soda in the left pannier) , and put the chain back on right there. Out in the woods sticks can knock the derailleur off. Had that happen here in town with sticks piled on the sidewalk for garbage day.
You'll get a lot more range out of a 65 psi 2.4" tire than a 30 PSI 4" fat tire. Just checked modernbike. Here is a knobby 2.4" tire rated for 65 psi. https://www.modernbike.com/cst-big-fat-tire-26-x-2.4-black-steel-bead
This 4" panaracer is limited to 20 psi! https://www.modernbike.com/panaracer-fat-b-nimble-26-x-4-folding-bead-120tpi-tire-black The kendas & dillinger 4" tires don't show a pressure rating. $80 tires instead of $60 too. A Schalbe 4" was $220! I get my 2.1" kenda/giant knobbies for $26. They last ~2000 miles.

Last edited:
After you move or take your bike for a ride in your car to the Rockies. There aren't any 1000' mountains in the Appalachians.
Yesterday occured a reason for a hub drive. I was putting my pants clip on that I had forgotten to put on at the grocery store, and my bike fell over. The chain popped off the derailleur takeup. With hub drive I could drive home under power and fix it later in old clothes. With mid I would have had to sit on the ground in my good clothes, risk a oil spot on my sleeve from holding the bike up (wanted to fall right even with 2 legged stand & 8 liters soda in the left pannier) , and put the chain back on right there. Out in the woods sticks can knock the derailleur off. Had that happen here in town with sticks piled on the sidewalk for garbage day.
You'll get a lot more range out of a 65 psi 2.4" tire than a 30 PSI 4" fat tire. Just checked modernbike. Here is a knobby 2.4" tire rated for 65 psi. https://www.modernbike.com/cst-big-fat-tire-26-x-2.4-black-steel-bead
This 4" panaracer is limited to 20 psi! https://www.modernbike.com/panaracer-fat-b-nimble-26-x-4-folding-bead-120tpi-tire-black The kendas & dillinger 4" tires don't show a pressure rating. $80 tires instead of $60 too. A Schalbe 4" was $220! I get my 2.1" kenda/giant knobbies for $26. They last ~2000 miles.
Are you just ranting, or is there a point to all that? Who said anything about 1000' "hills"?

How many times have you EVER had a chain "pop off the derailleur take up"?

Not certain of your methods, but it would take me a matter of seconds to put that chain back on, and if keeping my fingers clean were critical, I'd use a rag (or maybe a plastic grocery bag?). If the bike wouldn't stand up for you with your one sided load on it, what prevented you from removing that load? The 10 seconds required to do that?

A 4" tire doesn't need near the pressure a 2" tire might require to ride like a roller skate/roll easily.

Come on Joe. Let's keep it real. Your one sided comparisons are getting laughable.

Hi everyone,

Short update. I was able to visit the only local bike shop with eBikes. They stock Giant exclusively. I was able to ride a Roam and an Explore around a parking lot. A clear difference between the two with a much better ride with the Explore + a computer display.

I don't think this compares to the Shred or the Rize bikes (based on battery and price) but there is a plus for a known brand and local dealer. Let me know if you have any thoughts on how the Explore might compare to other things I'm considering. After riding these, I do think I like @indianajo's suggestion that @AHicks built on to steer away from fat tire bikes.

Thanks, everyone. After looking at a few bikes in person, and looking at various bikes, I settled on a Surface 604 Shred.

I started out knowing nothing. A friend mentioned they had an eBike. I didn't know what kind but became immediately convinced I needed one.

I started looking around YouTube and found a reference to a Radrover 5, which said it was the most popular eBike.

I then found a review of three fat tire eBikes (the RadRover, a Himingway Cruiser, and an Aventon Aventure) and started thinking those seemed like a good idea. Based on that and a bit more research, I was ready to buy an Aventure.

I asked here and was given more information that had me looking at the Surface 604 Shred and Rize bikes among others that are back ordered. The Rize RX almost had me, but I got a bit of range anxiety. Certainly a powerful bike with mid-drive, but it didn't sway me from the Shred.

Yesterday, I decided to dive 3.5 hours to a bike shop that had a Surface 604 in stock. As I was preparing to leave in the morning, I looked closely at the reply. While I had asked about the Shred I was told there was a Quad in stock. Not the same bike. I contacted another shop that's actually a bit closer after I was on my way, but that one only had a M/L Shred (I'd need a S/M). I decided to go look at the bike anyway. I spoke with the shop owner about the bike and took out a Rook as well as the M/L Shred. I definitely liked the Shred over the Rook from the looks department and just the overall setup. The only thing I'd consider changing is the tires, which I can always do later. Actually, I will probably also add fenders, a back rack, and a new seat.

I spoke with the owner at length about various bikes. Of course he has a vested interest in selling me a bike but it didn't seem like he was trying to hard sell me. He actually seemed shocked when I decided to order through him that day. We discussed mid-drive vs hub, got into a discussion about controllers and their underappreciated role, and basically just how much both he and his customers like the Surface 604 bikes. He had more expensive bikes he could offer me and less expensive bikes also, but he kind of said he typically doesn't talk people out of Surface 604 bikes if that's what they after because he likes them and his customers do to. I actually ran into a customer who works in the neighborhood and he took me over to show me his Colt and said he loves it. While there, the only other customer to come in (it was a gorgeous day and they do rentals) was two guys that appeared to me to be lookey-loos but one of them actually bought a Boar Explorer within 10 minutes of looking at it (the salesperson spoke with them; the owner checked me out, which tells you how much he thought they would buy because I had already said yes).

I'm happy with my purchase but a bit frustrated that no one had it in stock. It will also be good to have a bike shop familiar with the bike and the company if I have any problems, even if it is a 5.5 hour round trip. I just hope that the "10 days" they say it takes is accurate. Thankfully, he said he had batteries on hand for other bikes he could swap out if that's delayed.

Back