Article : America's E-Bike Revolution Is in Trouble

I agree with your post in theory, but I think that the sticking point is the enforcement. E-bikes aren’t registered and an e-bike license does not exist. Having enforcement hasn’t really stopped speeding of motor vehicles either. Law enforcement chasing someone down on a bike lane or path would endanger others as well.

I wish that I had the perfect solution, but I don’t think that it exists. Many will disagree, but I think that the current regulations are a good start and seem reasonable.

I ride a class 1, and on the rare occasion that I use a rail trail or bicycle infrastructure I follow the rules. On the road, (gravel, dirt or tarmac), I obey the posted speed limit, but no one should think of a class 1 as slow. I often reach speeds over 40 mph and tend to ride the flats in the low 20s.
The enforcement I see on the trails I ride is mostly at trailheads. Local cops and park rangers occasionally hang out in trail parking lots watching bikes in the area. I've seen them question riders as they load & unload their bikes. I've been "interviewed" this way twice myself so far. Only once have I see uniformed LEO's actually patrolling a trail on bikes.

Back