Are puncture resistant tires harder to change.

monroe350

Hello I recently got an ebike. I read that changing puncture resistant tires are difficult to change and that many people take them to a bike dealer to have it done. I have change quite a few regular bike tires what make them harder to work with?

Thank you

In my experience, tube type puncture resistant tires aren't any more difficult to change. Tubeless tires can sometimes be a headache though.

The rear tire on an ebike with a rear hub motor can be more difficult to remove & reinstall regardless if the tire is puncture resistant or not.

Hello I recently got an ebike. I read that changing puncture resistant tires are difficult to change and that many people take them to a bike dealer to have it done. I have change quite a few regular bike tires what make them harder to work with?

Thank you

I purchased Schwalbe Smart Sams and they were not more difficult to change than the stock tires on my bike which were 27.5x2.25's. One thing I did notice was that the sidewalls of the Sams were more substantial than my stock tires. To me that was an indication of an upgrade of tire quality - but that still did not really impact my ability to change the tire.

It depends on the height of the rim walls. I have a 29” cross wheel and a 700c city bike type wheel. Both can fit the same 700c x38 Tires. But... the puncture proof tires are VERY hard to get on the cross wheel (high rim walls), whereas I can get them on with no tools when fitting them on the city bike wheel. The cross wheel has rims that are 21mm heigh whereas the city wheel has 16mm high rims. It takes a screwdriver and a lot of strength to get the puncture proof tires on the cross wheels because those rims are designed for more supple tires.

This with schwalbe energizer and marathon tires...
Thanks for sharing. My bike uses 700cx38 tires also with high rims.

Back