Are Bionx parts modular, and how can I learn more?

doublemazaa

I just got a new-to-me bike with 350W Bionx system. I have seen some used 500W motors for sale. Assuming everything is functional, can I just swap the 500W motor in and ride away? Or do I need the controller/battery/etc to match the new motor?

Secondly, can anyone recommend the best resources to learn about how this system ticks? I know Bionx is not particularly hackable, but I would love to know what I'm working with.

Thanks!

They are also out of business. Should be owner help available, but parts will need to be purchased aftermarket.

Right, I have heard they are no longer operating. My question is regarding used/aftermarket parts. While investing in the system may be a risk, it seems that the state of the company has depressed prices and I am willing to tinker if the risks/costs are low.

I'm just trying to understand what might be possible.

Right, I have heard they are no longer operating. My question is regarding used/aftermarket parts. While investing in the system may be a risk, it seems that the state of the company has depressed prices and I am willing to tinker if the risks/costs are low.

I'm just trying to understand what might be possible.

Bionx stuff and firmware is not very “tinkerable”. All the parts are proprietary and don’t mix with other systems. You could render your system inoperable. Good Luck!

Bionx stuff and firmware is not very “tinkerable”. All the parts are proprietary and don’t mix with other systems. You could render your system inoperable. Good Luck!

Right. What about using a 500W Bionx motor with a Bionx system that currently has a 350W motor. No tinkering, straight swap using Bionx parts. Thanks!

I had a Bionx 350W system and the motor failed. I bought a 500W motor and swapped it with the old one and it worked without any other modifications.

The 500W motor is much better. Much more responsive and has more torque. If I ride conservatively then the battery seems to give me about the same range as the old motor did but if I push it then the range reduces a lot. But this is to be expected!

Back