Arcing problem

The connector is not pushed in far enough. There are arrows and a line cast into the plastic connector that shows how far they have to be pushed together. It's often not easy to get it pushed together.

Try unplugging your charger before plugging the lead into the bike?
The arcing is occurring in the 3+6 round connector between control and motor. The arcing happens when I am riding and causes the motor to seem like it is grinding gears but it is not.

Not a lot to go on, but a solid connection won't arc except when you are opening or breaking the connection.

TT
My thoughts as well. I suspect the power from the controller is not pure sin wave but have had problems with other controllers . I just put new connector wire from controller and it ran well for a while. Rad rover with 52 v battery 25 amp controller 750 motor upgrade.

The connector is not pushed in far enough. There are arrows and a line cast into the plastic connector that shows how far they have to be pushed together. It's often not easy to get it pushed together.
Arrows lined up. Solid contact when pushed together. I made a wooden clamp and put a good squeeze on the connector. Ran well then back to arcing.

If this is a "custom by you connector" for the controller mod, you need to stop using it until you have the time and patience to sit down and figure out what you did wrong, then take care of it - whatever that takes. If you'd like some help with options, take a couple of pics so we can see what you used for a connector, and possibly the damaged area.

Arcing is a sign that stuff is getting hot, which can be really bad news. If it gets hot enough, and you melt that connector, and that shorts the positive and negative wires from the battery, the bike is going to burn down. I shouldn't have to tell you this issue is not something to take lightly....

You could always cut the connector out and solder the wires together. This was a permanent fix on some motorcycles some years ago.
That's one solution (I'd prefer a good butt connector to a solder joint though), but there are a lot of good connectors that are easy to come by.

Dielectric grease is your friend. Try it; Ill bet it fixes the problem. Clean with contact cleaner, blow it out with canned air, and apply it to the connectors between the battery and motor.

Replace the connector. I would hard wire it. If you do not want to solder that use automotive crimp/shrink connectors covered by shrink tube. @AHikcs says use a butt connector. Okay. I accidently saw one of those on the internet and I personally wouldn't. That kind of thing is not what I am into.

Replace the connector. I would hard wire it. If you do not want to solder that use automotive crimp/shrink connectors covered by shrink tube. @AHikcs says use a butt connector. Okay. I accidently saw one of those on the internet and I personally wouldn't. That kind of thing is not what I am into.
I say use a QUALITY butt connector! One that sounds pretty much like what you are talking about. It needs to support the wire on each side of the splice.....

Back