Anyone using continental gp5000 tr tubeless on a creo?

Calcoaster

Region
USA
I’m considering going tubeless on my Creo comp carbon and the gp5000 TR gets a lot of good reviews. The TR version is hyped as being much easier to install and seat than the previous version. Does anyone have experience mounting these on the stock DT Swiss Creo wheels? And what about a road feel and longevity comparison between them and the stock turbo pros? Sealant recommendations too.
Thanks!

i've ridden both the GP5000 TL and the new GP5000 S TR. although i've mounted other tires myself, and fixed flats and all that, i just didn't want to bother with tubeless so i had a shop mount them. can't speak to how hard or easy it was, nobody mentioned anything but shops tend to be pretty good at mounting tires. on my two bikes i've had them on several different wheelsets.

longevity has been excellent for me, 3,000+ miles on a rear and perhaps twice that on a front. they did seem to get squared off pretty fast, but then wore more slowly. no flats. pulled a staple out of my current rear and it went flat over the next few minutes (i wasn't looking.) spun it around a few times, inflated with the hole at the bottom, spun it some more, good as new. love tubeless!

road feel is excellent at 30mm and 32mm; it is a little less "supple" than the 26mm turbo cottons the 30mm ones replaced on my non-electric, but those tires would last <1k miles on a rear for me, so i'm not shedding any tears over a tiny bit more buzz on high frequency pavement. i think they're great tires.

have had good results with both orange seal and stan's.

Not a Creo.....but I installed a set of GP5000 TLs on my carbon road bike, with carbon wheels, and they were a bitch to put on. Interestingly, I recently had a flat (waiting too long to top up my tubeless tire fluid and it went dry and I got a flat). I decided to put a patch on the inside of the tire and put in new fluid. I was surprised at how easily the used tire went back on the wheel.
When I eventually replace my tires I'll probably go with a set of TRs and I suspect they will also be a bitch to mount.

I have them on my regular road bike. Great tubeless, can be very hard to mount. I have been running tubeless for 14 years and these were by far the hardest to get on the rims. I found this tool, and it made the mounting fairly routine. Great for any tire mounting as there is no part of the tool that actually goes inside the bead, so you won't pinch your tube on regular (non-tubeless) tires.
1662343063948.png

I have them on my regular road bike. Great tubeless, can be very hard to mount. I have been running tubeless for 14 years and these were by far the hardest to get on the rims. I found this tool, and it made the mounting fairly routine. Great for any tire mounting as there is no part of the tool that actually goes inside the bead, so you won't pinch your tube on regular (non-tubeless) tires.
View attachment 134380.
That tool looks like it would save the thumbs. Do you have the gp5000 TR on your wheels now? Continental claims the newer TR is much easier to instal than the 5000 TL. I’m looking for reviews of the TR specifically.

That tool looks like it would save the thumbs. Do you have the gp5000 TR on your wheels now? Continental claims the newer TR is much easier to instal than the 5000 TL. I’m looking for reviews of the TR specifically.
Mine are tl's.

View attachment 134380.
I have this tool and used it to mount my Conti's (tubeless).

View attachment 134380.
Ordered one. Thank you!

View attachment 134380.
Thanks for the post. Ordered this and found it makes short work of Conti Gatorskins and Spec Armadillo tire that were somewhat difficult to mount on the rims I have. Works much easier than the plier type levers I've used before. I've also tried the Tire Glyder. It's nice and compact but does not fit thicker rims. The Crank Brothers Speedier lever is what I use to remove tires and it has worked well. I'll keep the Tire Jack and a Speedier lever in my bag to deal with flats-hopefully less often as I convert to tubeless.

Thanks for the post. Ordered this and found it makes short work of Conti Gatorskins and Spec Armadillo tire that were somewhat difficult to mount on the rims I have. Works much easier than the plier type levers I've used before. I've also tried the Tire Glyder. It's nice and compact but does not fit thicker rims. The Crank Brothers Speedier lever is what I use to remove tires and it has worked well. I'll keep the Tire Jack and a Speedier lever in my bag to deal with flats-hopefully less often as I convert to tubeless.
The tire rim jack is always on my bike bag. Glad you found it as useful as I did.

I’ll add my tubeless conversion experience here for anyone else considering it (I’m the O.P.)

I finally wore out my stock specialized turbo pros that came with my Creo carbon comp. I got a pair of Continental gp 5000 s tr’s, 700 x 32 last week. I was surprised how easily they mounted. I used a tire lever to put the last bit over the rim, but had to take them off to change the valves (more on that later), then they went back on by hand the second time. Installation of these TR’s was as easy as most tube type tires I’ve used.

I first used the valves from the spare parts box that came with my creo, but they wouldn’t seal. I bought Stan’s valves and they sealed right up. I got the tires to seal to the rim with just my standard floor pump. I’m trying Muc-off tubeless sealant because of the good reviews I’ve read about its sealing ability, longevity and co2 compatibility. I put a little over two ounces in and plan to check it in a few months with a “dipstick” through the valve.

The tires are really comfortable, noticeably smoother than the stock turbo pros, and feel faster. That’s not surprising because I’m running them at 62 psi vs. the 78 psi I used in the turbo pros tubes.

I used several tubeless tire pressure calculators, most advising around 62psi, but will try Renee hearse’s recommendation next week. They claim either 56 psi OR 69 psi will give the lowest rolling resistance for the average pavement, with anything in between being slower. I’ll go for comfort and try 56.

I counted 5 patches that I had put on my two turbo pro tubes in the 2400 miles I rode them. My main reason for going tubeless is for flat protection, with the comfort of lower pressure a nice added benefit.

I've been riding tubeless on my Defy road bike for four years and for three years on my Cannondale Lefty 3 e-gravel bike and couldn't be happier.
One word of caution I'll give is to add fluid on a regular basis. The only two flats I've had (one on each bike) in 16,000km of riding is when I went too long between 'top-ups' and got a puncture. Usually, the sealant would seal up the puncture and I could continue on with my ride, but I found out the hard way when the sealant starts to congeal over time it will not be fluid enough to seal the puncture.
Lesson learned.

Not used the GP5000, but I am tubeless on Pirelli Cinturato's. They are nice armored, excellent grip and available in black, tan wall, or reflective. I have 2 spare pairs in the cupboard, I like then that much.

Back