Anybody Going Crotchless?

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
Hey, Anybody going crotchless out there. How do you like it?
1696283755676.png

1696283812300.jpeg

What am I looking at here? Is that what rides on the surface, or is there a tire that fits into it, or.......??

What am I looking at here?
Tubeless only rims do not have a crotch/hook around the rim for a tire bead to seat into. They do not need it. Rim tape is not required and a wheel can be stronger and lighter and cost less than with a crotched rim.
1696355020169.jpeg
1696355126334.png

You still can ride with leather if it has a throttle.
1696355444951.png

Tubeless only rims do not have a crotch/hook around the rim for a tire bead to seat into. They do not need it. Rim tape is not required and a wheel can be stronger and lighter and cost less than with a crotched rim.

Check that video out... it says that not having a hook for tubeless is a misconception. I had never heard that but apparently early tubeless tech did have such a limitation but doesn't any longer. I have rims that are tubeless-compatible that are also hook-beaded. My alloy DT Swiss FR560's come to mind immediately. I am running them tubeless on my Apostate, and tubed on one of my Bullitts. Also my fat Surly MYOBD rims are hooked, alloy and tubeless compatible.

My understanding of the reason hookless rims existed was because carbon fiber rims can't be made with that little edged nub on the inside of the rim wall. But apparently thats outdated thinking. That video above shows hook-bead c/f rims.

All of mine have to have rim tape cuz there is a hole to fit the spoke thru in the inner wall, and if no tape and holes unplugged...

And yes my two sets of c/f rims are 'crotchless'. One bike is tubed and the other is tubeless. Both are fat bike rims and both are limited in tire pressure because they are hookless and don't hold the beads down. No more than 20 psi says the manufacturer (Nextie) and they recommend 15.

The whole hookless thing was not something I liked one bit but I had no choice. A few years down the road its never been a problem.

No one else seems to be using the term crotchless for hookless... so I think you're probably carrying over terminology from Saturday nights open_A fest 🙃
When I Google 'White Industries crotchless rim, images,' this is what I end up with. And yes, they are asymmetric. That is to fit the boost hub and cassette. I read that some are more deviant in their asymmetry than others that are totally straight. A rocky trail can be a rocky horror at the same time.

When I Google 'White Industries crotchless rim, images,' this is what I end up with. And yes, they are asymmetric. That is to fit the boost hub and cassette. I read that some are more deviant in their asymmetry than others that are totally straight. A rocky trail can be a rocky horror at the same time.

Yes.... But "crotchless" is deleted from the search criteria

Screenshot_20231003-172142_Chrome.jpg

When you then click show results with "crotchless"... You're redirected to a Saturday night open_A fest.

Well not really...

Screenshot_20231003-172726_Chrome.jpg

All I know is you cant put fat tyres on properly, I dont think Ive ever fitted one or even just reinflated it still on the rim without some bit popping off or a good quarter of it sat too far into the rim.

All I know is you cant put fat tyres on properly, I dont think Ive ever fitted one or even just reinflated it still on the rim without some bit popping off or a good quarter of it sat too far into the rim.
I sometimes use this one to help. It usually happens at the valve. Some of us have a better grip on our vices than others.
1696432068923.jpeg

Back