Anybody buy their ebike with Health Savings Account (HSA) funds?

Hammick

Region
USA
So I did some research and it seems the purchase of exercise equipment may be HSA eligible with a letter of medical necessity from a physician. I just had meniscus surgery and cartilage debridement and I'm pretty sure my surgeon would sign such a letter. That would make a 5k ebike a lot easier to justify.

Would love to hear if from anyone that has done this and whether their HSA was audited after the purchase.

What a great tool for knee rehab. You can control the resistance and if you overdo it ramp up the power to get home and rest the knee.

That’s a cool idea for HSA use. Never thought of that. I had a total knee replacement a good while back from a motorcycle accident that smashed my knee. I get around ok but standing for any length of time or walking a lot kills my knee. Knee is new but all the bone it attaches to was badly damaged. My bike allows for exercise while being outside and my surgeon always recommended swimming or low impact exercise like bike riding so he would have probably given me something had I thought about all this at the time of purchase. Folks need to know if you have a HSA and a letter from your doc keeps the IRS at bay, that makes for a bonus purchase in my opinion.

Back