Any alternatives to the Ride1up lmt'd?

ebike-life

Region
USA
With the current sale of the lmt'd, i cant get it for $1,745.00 and it comes with an extra battery (smaller 10.4ah).
This is a first ebike so I want to double check things.
I want to have the bike to have a fun way to exercise and to take on trips to the grocery store or some restaurants. I live in Pa, which can get quite humid in the summers so an ebike interests me. My work is under 10 miles, but i'm not sure I will ride to it as coworkers have had their bikes stolen before (with a ulock).
In my research, the pros of the lmt'd seem interesting (torque hub for bike, hydraulic breaks for less daily maitentence and maybe better?, left thumb throttle as I use my right hand enough working with a computer all day, looks more like a bike than ebike for stealing purposes etc). I do have some decent hills directly around me, but after that it is pretty flat. I also want a class 3 bike since there are some major roads I could have to cross for very short distance and want to be able to go as fast as possible. Another positive is the lmt'd arrives in a week, which is awesome as I want to get out there as soon as possible!
Negatives are the lmt'd doesn't come with a rack, fender, and lights (which i can add afterwards, just not the most ideal). Additionally I haven't worked on bikes before so I maintenance without support worries me a tad, but I have googled plenty of things in the past to learn! (house, skateboard, and snowboard maintenance for examples).
I have no stairs to go through thankfully, but if i want to it take with me, I would need to put it on top of my sedan's rack (so weight is a concern slightly). I am 6'1" and the stepthrough seemed great as my partner can try it too before she gets one (5'2").

I don't want to get too analyisis paralysis here, but just wanted to know if should consider any other options! I saw the Juiced Crosscurrent X, which seem nice, but the battery sticking out seemed like it could be targeted more easily and the two batteries of the lmt'd seems interesting as i can bring both for a long ride and have a much lighter battery to carry if on a short trip. But maybe there is some other contender I should know about that rides better etc! Thanks for any help.

Gonga sale on the LMTD now. I bought it last year and have 5,000 miles of trouble free riding. Goes up steepest hills with its powerful 750watt MXUS motor. I added Ibera nondisk rack ($40) and fenders (20) and Vastfire front light ($23) and Cygolite 350 rear light ($50) and Suntour NCX seat post ($72 from UK).

@rcdanner thanks for the reply! did you find the motor was annoyingly loud? I saw a few complaints but wasn't sure how serious to take that. I don't have any noise issues like misophonia, but i wouldn't mind be able to hear nature too lol

Motor is quiet. But when you're heavily pedaling at 28-31mph on PAS 5 100% 1000 watts power output, it can be a little noisy! But then the wind obliterates that motor noise. I have tried over a dozen different ebikes these past four years. Mid-drive and mostly hub drive. Some more expensive. Some less. The LMTD is my favorite ebike. It is good value ebike. And now with the sale and free battery, it is really a good deal. Just wish XR came in choice of sizes...rather than one size fits all.

I have a couple hundred miles on my LMT'D ST now. It's working fine. I'm a bit sad that there have been somewhat better sales on it (including the current one) than when I purchased, but that's life. The derailleur, brakes and fork air pressure were in perfect adjustment (for me) straight out of the box, which was nice.

The motor noise is noticeable. I was slightly annoyed for the first 2-3 rides, then my brain started to mostly disregard it. Besides, when riding faster the wind carries the sound away because it's behind you.

For comparison, this Rize ebike has hub drive and torque sensor, and it has a rack, fenders and lights, but a lesser 500W motor.

P.S.-- Almost any of these ebikes when not powered will feel very sluggish when going up even the most modest incline, for the simple reason that the lowest gear is way higher than that of a non-electric, multiple-geared bicycle.

Last edited:
I have a couple hundred miles on my LMT'D ST now. It's working fine. I'm a bit sad that there have been somewhat better sales on it (including the current one) than when I purchased, but that's life. The derailleur, brakes and fork air pressure were in perfect adjustment (for me) straight out of the box, which was nice.

The motor noise is noticeable. I was slightly annoyed for the first 2-3 rides, then my brain started to mostly disregard it. Besides, when riding faster the wind carries the sound away because it's behind you.

For comparison, this Rize ebike has hub drive and torque sensor, and it has a rack, fenders and lights, but a lesser 500W motor.

P.S.-- Almost any of these ebikes when not powered will feel very sluggish when going up even the most modest incline, for the simple reason that the lowest gear is way higher than that of a non-electric, multiple-geared bicycle.
My LMTD motor noise quieted down as I put miles on it. Around 400miles is when I really noticed it being quieter. At 4500 miles I opened the motor and lubricated the gears with lithium grease. I had my first flat tire and decided while the wheel was off to do lubrication service. It had minimal amount of factory grease. It was super easy to perform service. Only needed impact screwdriver to loosen a couple of tough ones. Seems quieter now at 5,000 miles. I slimed the SuperMotoX tires which I really like. Good ebike. I've found the cost of something is soon forgotten. While I enjoy riding around on my nice LMTD.

@rcdanner and @Rexlion I appreciate the information! I ordered the bike, and it comes in tomorrow :)
I just bought the phone holder to be able to gps when getting around, but once I confirm the bike is working well, i will want a rack, fenders, and lights. Any recs? I see ride1up has a fender and rack, but wasn't sure if there are third party ones that are well liked. I live in northeast usa, so I do need the fenders to work lol.

I've been debating a rear rack, but haven't ordered one yet. Ride1Up asked via email for a review, and I submitted one, after which they gave me a 1-time code for $20 off. But when I went to the site and clicked on the rack, it said "Flexible ship (free)", so I entered the code and the next screen applied the code plus added about $10 for shipping. :mad: It ticked me off and I didn't complete the order.

For lights, I ordered a couple of clamps that look just like these. Works good. I'm using a Wurkkos WK20 for a headlight; it has a warm tint LED (which I like) and puts out a good hotspot to reach down the path and decent spill to illuminate the sides. But if you prefer a wider beam, the Astrolux BL03 looks pretty nice to me. The flashlight I use for a taillight is no longer made, so no use mentioning the specifics.

ha! I have the same sadness, even though mine was purchased on sale at 1650 (No lights, 1 14 AH battery) the sales now at 1450 are killing me, lol.

The Iberia was a better buy than R1U and fits perfect. I just got the Iberia bad and it snaps in solid. Zippers also feel good which I find most are crap.
R1U had their rack on backorder when I last check so I bought the Iberia.
I don't look back after I buy stuff. It's depressing to see it go on sale just after I buy it. I just try to make the best choice for me and enjoy it.
LMT'D has been working great for me and as long as it is not abused it should last quite a while.

Back