An e kit to do appx 55 to 60 miles per day in windy and hilly conditions

Peter061049

Region
United Kingdom
Any suggestions on an e kit that lets me (73 years old) to do appx 55 to 60 miles per day in windy and hilly conditions without the worry of getting home

For a kit, I am not sure that is possible, but maybe others will chime in. For an integrated eBike? Maybe, but that is going to be really tough-- both to pull off, and to calculate! It depends very much on how much wind and how much vertical and what kind of shape you are in.

I am 64 and my (integrated) bike has a range of just over 40 miles with just over 4,000 feet of vertical and minimal wind, but a lot of the energy is being supplied by me-- and I only take those long rides after I've been training hard for a couple of months, taking plenty of breaks, and hydrating adequately. It all depends on how much work you want to do.

With only 2,000 feet of vertical, maybe it could do 55 miles, but I will never find out because there are too many hills here!

Wind is a fiendishly difficult variable to figure when you are estimating range. I have a second bike that is a kit from Clean Republic, and it has a range of about 15 miles with 1,400 feet of vertical or so... but on a windy day, it stranded me once after only 9 miles.

The 'without the worry' part is gonna be tough! For longer rides with lots of vertical, I'm always calculating elevation and checking weather forecasts, same as I would for surfing or skiing or sailing, though I'm looking at different numbers.

If you don't use the motor, your range is infinite! If you're a no pedal throttle person, you might get 20 miles. There are so many variables....

60 miles with a kit bike is a lot easier than with a store-bought bike, because you have the freedom to add more battery. You don't have to do it with one big battery, but can do it with two. That allows you to carry just one for shorter trips, and not have an extra 5-6 pounds to store on the bike.

Here's two 48V batteries I own, rated at 14AH and 15AH. Those are marketing ratings based on running very light loads. In real life, I would derate with the heavier draw of an ebike motor, to about 12AH each. That's still around 550 watt-hour, and I estimate most riders could get 40 miles out of each on flat ground, with wind, because I have. For hills, I don't know. Put one on the frame of the bike, and carry the second on top of the rear rack when needed.

How far you go depends on your speed too. I'm basing my estimates at 12-14 mph with some rider effort on the pedals. COld weather hurts too. Probably lose 15-25% of capacity when it's freezing,

P4140772.JPG

If you don't use the motor, your range is infinite! If you're a no pedal throttle person, you might get 20 miles. There are so many variables.
If you don't use the motor, your range is infinite! If you're a no pedal throttle person, you might get 20 miles. There are so many variables....
60 miles with a kit bike is a lot easier than with a store-bought bike, because you have the freedom to add more battery. You don't have to do it with one big battery, but can do it with two. That allows you to carry just one for shorter trips, and not have an extra 5-6 pounds to store on the bike.

Here's two 48V batteries I own, rated at 14AH and 15AH. Those are marketing ratings based on running very light loads. In real life, I would derate with the heavier draw of an ebike motor, to about 12AH each. That's still around 550 watt-hour, and I estimate most riders could get 40 miles out of each on flat ground, with wind, because I have. For hills, I don't know. Put one on the frame of the bike, and carry the second on top of the rear rack when needed.

How far you go depends on your speed too. I'm basing my estimates at 12-14 mph with some rider effort on the pedals. COld weather hurts too. Probably lose 15-25% of capacity when it's freezing,

View attachment 119940
Appreciate you advice. Could you let me know where you got the e kit and batteries please. Many Thanks

Before recommending a kit, where most everyone here is going to ram our riding styles down your throat, please discuss the bike that you have in mind, your location (it matters, because markets are different), your riding habits, especially like how much time you need for a 60 mile ride? Also your intended budget.

For some reason, I naturally assume anyone who want to install a kit knows how to change a tire, swap handlebars, and how to test fuses. I'm often wrong.

Any suggestions on an e kit that lets me (73 years old) to do appx 55 to 60 miles per day in windy and hilly conditions without the worry of getting home

V

Okay, for all of you thinking it, I’ll go ahead and type it: The above statement has troll like tendencies.

If I’m proven wrong I’ll edit but I’m sticking with my gut for now.

Are your a road biker, flat back, neck tilted back, no wind drag? Does your bike have drop handlebars? What size & weight are you? How long are your legs? On paved road, gravel path, or straight up the mountainside?
I've figured out how to mount 40 AH 38 v on my bike, but I have a long frame to balance the 42 lb battery on the front. I have a lot of hills in the 70 miles between here & Cincinnati ( the safe county road way) and I want to make it to the Amtrak station without stopping overnight halfway to charge. We get a lot of wind, 40 mph in my face 3/25.
You're not planning to climb the Grampians or Pennines are you? >333 m rise in an hour means a mid drive, and those kits are dodgy to install.

Back