AM1000V6 or CC

Rdecker664

Region
USA
I am about to purchase my first ebike and have narrowed the search down to either the AM1000 V6 or the CC. Comparing the two models, it looks like you get higher quality components on the AM1000. About 75% of riding would be on pavement though, and the balance on trails. I realize that the CC is probably the better bike for pavement use but I really like the AM1000 as a package. How comfortable would the AM1000 be riding it on pavement? Are there any down sides to using it for that application? Appreciate any insight that can be provided. Thanks!

I am about to purchase my first ebike and have narrowed the search down to either the AM1000 V6 or the CC. Comparing the two models, it looks like you get higher quality components on the AM1000. About 75% of riding would be on pavement though, and the balance on trails. I realize that the CC is probably the better bike for pavement use but I really like the AM1000 as a package. How comfortable would the AM1000 be riding it on pavement? Are there any down sides to using it for that application? Appreciate any insight that can be provided. Thanks!
I loved my CC and only sold it because I rarely rode it. It is a tad heavy at 70+ but it is well made and I almost regret selling it. I would have loved to have instant throttle instead of a delay and I probably should have figured out how to reprogram the bike. I have noticed the CC price has gone up quite a bit since I purchased back in 21...

I have the bigger brother “Beast“ and ride it on the pavement. Only downside is the tyre noise at lower speeds - can always change tyres. At higher speeds the wind noise drowns out all other noise. More gears means you are rifling through the gears, although I usually double or triple shift to get in the higher gears sooner.

The cc only comes in one size whereas the AM1000 has a few frame sizes to choose from to suit your height,

I have the bigger brother “Beast“ and ride it on the pavement. Only downside is the tyre noise at lower speeds - can always change tyres. At higher speeds the wind noise drowns out all other noise. More gears means you are rifling through the gears, although I usually double or triple shift to get in the higher gears sooner.

The cc only comes in one size whereas the AM1000 has a few frame sizes to choose from to suit your height,
The Ultra motor is powerful. The CC would do 38 mph easily on flat ground throttle only. Never did a range test but I'm sure you could get an easy 30-40 miles. If I needed a commuter, I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Frey CC...

I have ridden 40 miles with my CC and it said I still had about 4-6 miles left. This is with Johhny Watts tires. 30 miles of the ride was on almost all flat hard packed dirt roads. The tires work great on pavement also if you pump them up. If you order directly from Frey ask about the 21ah battery option. The newer frames can use those batteries.

For pavement, CC no question! Love mine. I have a MTB (Luna X1) similar to AM1000 and while it's great off road no way I'd choose that for rides around town. CC is way more comfortable with more relaxed riding position unless you love riding around town hunched over on a bike with MTB geometry straining your neck. No thanks!

I wasn’t aware that the two bikes had different seating positions. Unfortunately, I don’t have a dealer around me that carries these bikes so I am only able to go by the photos on the companies website. Toggling the photos back and fourth they appeared almost the same but I can only get so much from photos.

My Beast came with 5 spacer shims (2 inches) under the handlebar stem, so I certainly don’t feel hunched over. On the contrary, I find myself bending my elbows to drop my body down lower at higher speeds. Of course I could rearrange the shims to drop the bars lower but find the factory setup provides a good around riding position. I have another e-bike and find the Frey Beast has a more upright riding position.

No dealer near me when buying, so I just compared frame specs between their bikes and Frey’s frame size recommendation.

I reached out to Frey to compare the seating differences between the two bikes. See their response below.

Seat position is similar with seat tube angle at around 75 degree. Head tube angle is different , AM1000 V6 is 65 degree and CC is 68 degree.
AM1000 is an all mountain bike geometry, and CC is Cross Country (XC) bike geometry

Based upon the three degree difference in the head tube angle would I feel much of a difference in seating posture?

I bought an AM1000 a few years ago and I love the bike but it's a tad too tall for me to take out on the trails safely. I'm waiting on the CC but I had asked to swap the tires out with the 27.5 x 2.8 tires instead. Honestly, I think the difference between the two is just the seating posture; think mountain bike vs cruiser.

If you don't mind me asking, what size AM1000 did you get and how tall are you?
I got a Medium frame and I'm 5ft. I can't stand over the frame unless I'm really leaning to the side. Remounting The bike is a bit of struggle 😂.
The sales person highly recommended I get the CC instead but I thought I would've been fine (I am on paved straight trails but on smaller woody/gravel trails, I literally have to bail by launching myself off. 😂)

Do you find the Beast comfortable riding on pavement for a period of time? The AM1000V6 has similar geometry and wanted to get a sense of comfort if you were just cruising around?

How tall are you RDecker?

Pull the trigger man. Buy it and find out for yourself.
I don't have Frey brand emtb. I have Bafang Ultra powered emtb. They are incredibly reliable.
What emtb do you have? I've been keeping an eye out for other emtb's with more than 100nm of torque that would be suitable for shorter people but haven't had great luck.

Do you find the Beast comfortable riding on pavement for a period of time? The AM1000V6 has similar geometry and wanted to get a sense of comfort if you were just cruising around?
Yes the Beast is comfortable on pavement. I commute to work in the CBD on it and ride on paved bike paths on weekends. You can cover a lot of ground fairly effortlessly on this bike. I am 55 years of age and don’t get neck, back or ass soreness after riding it.

This bike insights link shows the V6 AM1000 to have a very upright stack and reach, compared to other full sus mtbs. So it’s not an aggressive riding style for an mtb. I haven’t ridden a cc so I can’t say how that compares but the one size fits all frame size turned me off considering it as I am 185cm tall.

Last edited:
looking at both bikes side by side there appears to be very little difference in seating position between the 2 and if there is a slight difference you could probably offset this with a different set of handlebars.
I would not hesitate to buy an AM1000!

Back