Am I one of the world's oldest e-bikers at81-years-old?

:) Am I one of the world's oldest e-bikers at 81-years-old?

You're never too old to enjoy an EBike.

Here is Gordon with his new bike. Gordon is 88 years old.

FB_IMG_1473182829557.jpg

I am 81-years-old. I ride a Catrike 700 that I outfitted with a Falco 500 watt engine and a 50 volt Falco lithium battery pack. I get out 3 days a week for rides of 40 - 45 miles. I cruise at 18 - 20 miles per hour, so I complete each ride in 2 to 2 1/4 hours. It's real fun, and it keeps me in very good health for an 81-year-old.

I am 81-years-old. I ride a Catrike 700 that I outfitted with a Falco 500 watt engine and a 50 volt Falco lithium battery pack. I get out 3 days a week for rides of 40 - 45 miles. I cruise at 18 - 20 miles per hour, so I complete each ride in 2 to 2 1/4 hours. It's real fun, and it keeps me in very good health for an 81-year-old.

Wow. All I can say is I hope I can do that one day! Awesomeness!!!

Wow. All I can say is I hope I can do that one day! Awesomeness!!!
Thanks, Cnugget. In my opinion cycling is one of the healthiest activities one can engage in, and it definitely promotes longevity. So keep it up. I began riding at 30-years old. My knees and hips are still original equipment due, I believe, to the low impact on the joints that cycling entails.

That is a cool bike, but I'm thinking we'll be seeing some things that will be difficult to imagine in another 50 years. The advancement of materials and battery technology will likely bring some dramatic changes to this industry.

That is a cool bike, but I'm thinking we'll be seeing some things that will be difficult to imagine in another 50 years. The advancement of materials and battery technology will likely bring some dramatic changes to this industry.
You are right for sure. But if I had the money I'd have bought this Budnitz :
The bike is only 29 lbs, titanium frame, all in one electric hub, with batteries in the hub and KERS system. The only issue (for me) is the price, over $9000.

That bike is cool, but I'm not that excited about the motor system. I think it's very overpriced for what it is.

For a lightweight bike the Focus Project Y seems legit. It's about 30lbs, but it has real power.

...But if I had the money I'd have bought this Budnitz :
The bike is only 29 lbs, titanium frame, all in one electric hub, with batteries in the hub and KERS system. The only issue (for me) is the price, over $9000.
The cromoly steel version can be had for a little more than half that price ($5K) and only adds a couple of pounds of weight. After owning a Spot Brand steel human powered bike, I'm a big fan of cromoly for a city commuter. Nice and forgiving/absorbs the bumps well. With a Body Float, my Spot rides great. Now, I've never ridden a titanium frame bike but it is hard to imagine it being worth $4-$5K more than the steel version. As I posted elsewhere, for a minimalist, this bike would be a great option and I would give the steel frame version serious consideration under two conditions: this AIO Zehus hub was a proven design (doesn't seem to be much evidence of real world many miles application) and there was an easier way to test ride the bike (not realistic to travel to Vermont just for a test ride).

Back