Alternative Turbo Vado 4 tyres

Decho

Region
United Kingdom
I’ve got Specialized Trigger Sport tyres on my Turbo Vado 4. Generally they are ok but when I hit a patch of mud they are really scary...in fact I nearly end up in the Union Canal last week when I hit a patch of mud on the tow path! Looking for an alternative that might give me a bit more confidence when I hit mud(not very often but still scary!) I’ve thought about the a Schwalbe Marathon Plus Tour but not sure if they would be any better? My riding is on roads, cycle paths, gravel tracks and paths.
Any advice would be appreciated

My advice:
Invest in Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus in size 50-622 (29 x 2"). That is the maximum tyre size that would fit Vado mudguards.

These tyres are made according to an interesting design. The centre tread is made of hard rubber while the corners are soft and knobby. It makes the tyres silent and fast rolling on-road and quite aggressive off-road. I used these tyres on mixed terrain rides and was very happy with them. True all rounders! You'll find nothing better in that tyre size range.

Besides, 2" tyres will make your rides even softer because of larger air volume. (Make sure your inner tubes are good for up to 2" tyres).

My advice:
Invest in Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus in size 50-622 (29 x 2"). .... I used these tyres on mixed terrain rides and was very happy with them. True all rounders! You'll find nothing better in that tyre size range.

Besides, 2" tyres will make your rides even softer because of larger air volume. (Make sure your inner tubes are good for up to 2" tyres).
Schwalbe Smart Sam Plus was my advice, too.
But are you sure that you're using Schwalbe Smart Sam size 50-622? 🤔Thought it was 47-622 (28x1,75).

Schwalbe doesn't offer Smart Sam Plus in size 50-622:

I ride my Vado 5 with the Smart Sam on the front and the OEM Trigger Sport on the rear. Seems to be a good combination of more grip for steering on loose surfaces and low rolling resistance on hard packed/paved trails.

My MTBing sons ride with more aggressive threads on their front tires and less on the rear. They tell me it gives them max steering control on loose surfaces and allows the rear to slide giving them another measure of control. I'm not so crazy about the rear tire sliding thing, but I like the rest of their thinking!

Ride on! 😎

Thanks, it’s the rear that really bothers me, As soon as I hit a patch of mud its scary!

With the 47-622 tires you can use tubes designated as 29", such as 29x1.9-2.3, 700x47-58, ISO 622. It can be hard to find tubes this wide that are designated 28" as on the sidewall of you current tires. Or just ride tubeless!

Are the Smart Sams tubeless ready? I want to upgrade the tires on my wife's Vado SL 5.0. I am considering buying some Vittoria Terreno Dry and came across this thread. We rode a splendid trail this weekend, all dirt with some hardpack and some scrabble. She reported her Trigger Pros, which are tubeless, felt a little sketchy at times. I am weight conscious for tires, but she is not, so the Schwalbes would be acceptable to her. On this trail I was on my Turbo Levo Expert SL; although she didn't keep up with me on the downhills (she is 68, I am 62), she did an impressive job, as always. I have tried getting her to buy in to getting a Levo, but she loves her Vado SL. I need to change her tires!!!!!!

Are the Smart Sams tubeless ready? I want to upgrade the tires on my wife's Vado SL 5.0. I am considering buying some Vittoria Terreno Dry and came across this thread. We rode a splendid trail this weekend, all dirt with some hardpack and some scrabble. She reported her Trigger Pros, which are tubeless, felt a little sketchy at times. I am weight conscious for tires, but she is not, so the Schwalbes would be acceptable to her. On this trail I was on my Turbo Levo Expert SL; although she didn't keep up with me on the downhills (she is 68, I am 62), she did an impressive job, as always. I have tried getting her to buy in to getting a Levo, but she loves her Vado SL. I need to change her tires!!!!!!
I don't believe so, but the Schwalbe site would clear this up for you.

I certainly agree that Schwalbe doesn't make finding their tubeless rated tires easy!

As an example Scwalbe's Dirty Dan tire is tubeless rated as indicated at the bottom of its web page;

The Smart Sam page does not include the tubeless designation.

My Smart Sams are not labelled as tubeless so I would say no to tubeless, though a quick search shows that others are riding them as tubeless with good results.

My youngest sons rode non-tubeless tires as tubeless for years, with varying degrees of success. Now that they make enough $ to afford it, their all tubeless setups are very relaible.

YRMV.

I certainly agree that Schwalbe doesn't make finding their tubeless rated tires easy!

As an example Scwalbe's Dirty Dan tire is tubeless rated as indicated at the bottom of its web page;

The Smart Sam page does not include the tubeless designation.

My Smart Sams are not labelled as tubeless so I would say no to tubeless, though a quick search shows that others are riding them as tubeless with good results.

My youngest sons rode non-tubeless tires as tubeless for years, with varying degrees of success. Now that they make enough $ to afford it, their all tubeless setups are very relaible.

YRMV.
Thank you again for your input, it is certainly appreciated!

Are the Smart Sams tubeless ready? I
These are not. Very few wired tyres are. Many folding ones are but not all.
If we're talking about Schwalbe, these are "Features" icons below any viewed tyre model and variety. Only "Tubeless Technology" or "Tubeless Easy" or "TLE" icon guarantees the tyre is tubeless.

1616041095373.png

Here are icons for Smart Sam:
1616041211142.png

Finally got round to changing my Trigger Sport rear tyre(which was worn in the middle with zero tread) with a Smart Sam Plus.
installing it wasn’t too bad but you do definitely need to get the tyre walls in the centre groove of the wheel to get that last bit of tyre on.
inflated to 50 psi with my battery operated pump, which works well, inflates slowly and which seated the tyre walls nicely on the rim.
Did 2 runs, one before the change of tyre, then one after. Exactly the same appx 6 mile route, and mixture of climbs, flat and downhill. The results pleasantly surprised me.
Before....Battery Left 90%
after.....Battery Left 91%

The ride was definitely improved ...didn’t feel the dreadful Fife roads nearly as much with these tyres.
it will be interesting to try them next on some more challenging surfaces and longer runs of 40+ miles, but they certainly feel more robust, comfortable and capable than the Trigger Sport, and I will probably end up changing the front one as well.
So thanks for the advice, I’m well pleased!

Back