Almost a year and about 2k (?) miles with the CCS. A quick visit to update:

Reid

I don't have an odometer, just the CCS stock display. I reset the trip odo regularly, so I do not know my total milage.

Have made no more modifications to the bike since before the car/bike crash of late, last Feb.

The bike is perfect for my needs and my likes.

The ten-speed conversion from 9-S and a "wide-narrow" large chainwheel positively ended chain drop issues.

I regularly ride with cars at over 25. I stand on the pedals and pump as if I were on a stair master.

I like that for exercise. I feel like I'm standing on the prow of the Titanic (grins, kidding).

Were chain drop to ever be an issue again, I would crash big time.

However, I have had no chain drop since the drivetrain upgrade I did a long time ago now.

The bike simply works. The hub motor as become totally silent, as well.

There is no hum of buzz any more at any speed or load.

I feel like I have a charmed life and a charmed CCS.

Best bike I have ever owned.

Since last January, I have shed over 20 pounds of aged fat.

I am now a trim, neat 150lbs at 5'10", same weight as when I was in my twenties.

(Am 6 months from 65.) I don't have the interest or patience to rehash all my mods and experiments here,

but the posting record is intact and all questions can be answered by looking at my old posts.

I am riding about 8 manual miles per day, is all, but mostly manual pedaling and pedaling hard for the exercise.

Am a very lucky guy to be my age and have no health issues, other than a wrecked back from the accident last Feb.

however! All is well here with my health and my CCS. I would not buy any other brand of bike, bottom line.

Am pleased with the Juiced CCS value. I did not get a lemon. I got a golden one. Lucky me.

Reid ...
Welcome back! That was dreadful crash you had back in February.

Ride safely on your beautiful ebike.
... David

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have an odometer, just the CCS stock display. I reset the trip odo regularly, so I do not know my total milage....
Am pleased with the Juiced CCS value. I did not get a lemon. I got a golden one. Lucky me.

Great write-up on a positive perspective! I thought I'd chime in with an observation about easy ways for tracking bike miles...
I use an inexpensive Garmin device. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-cCycling-p1.html
The Garmin 200 I use with all my bikes is no longer being manufactured, but the Garmin 20 looks like the updated version. A simple USB cable recharges the odometer and uploads each ride's statistics.
I like to further define my bike usage by breaking out stats on bike maintenance using Bikejournal here: http://www.bikejournal.com/journal_public.asp?rname=bikerjohn

Glad to see Reid on the forum again.
My CCS is doing great after 9 months and about 1200 miles.
I upgraded to a Shadow Plus derailleur and narrow/wide ring also, and it has been well worth the modest expenditure of money and effort.
My spokes have never needed attention and my battery hasn't degraded noticeably. I keep the charge level under 90% most of the time, using a cheap timer and voltmeter.
I love my bike and look forward to the spring so I can ride more.

Great write-up on a positive perspective! I thought I'd chime in with an observation about easy ways for tracking bike miles...
I use an inexpensive Garmin device. https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/cIntoSports-cCycling-p1.html
The Garmin 200 I use with all my bikes is no longer being manufactured, but the Garmin 20 looks like the updated version. A simple USB cable recharges the odometer and uploads each ride's statistics.
I like to further define my bike usage by breaking out stats on bike maintenance using Bikejournal here: http://www.bikejournal.com/journal_public.asp?rname=bikerjohn

Another recommendation on the garmin units.

When I first got my new ebike, I tried fitting the typical cateye cycling computer like I have on all my other bikes and had issues making it fit.

Originally wanted to get the garmin edge 20 which was cheaper but seems hard to find so I went with the garmin edge 25 which supports a heart monitor. I didnt think I needed it at the time(used HRM in the past) but the price wasnt that big of a difference.

The ability to log all your rides with the garmin apps is pretty priceless. Being on an ebike really inflates the calorie estimates so I bought a HRM for around $40.

Now I get more accurate calorie estimates as well and it works on all my bikes without having to recalibrate for wheel sizes.

The ten-speed conversion from 9-S and a "wide-narrow" large chainwheel positively ended chain drop issues.
Are you able to elaborate on this? I recently bought a CCX and I'm very much in the customization phase. I looked through your profile/posts, but was not able to find information on this. I am looking at buying that under-the-seat light/alarm you have though! Does it still work well for you? Thanks.

Are you able to elaborate on this? I recently bought a CCX and I'm very much in the customization phase. I looked through your profile/posts, but was not able to find information on this. I am looking at buying that under-the-seat light/alarm you have though! Does it still work well for you? Thanks.
Here's a great article that helped me upgrade the derailleur without even having to remove the rear wheel.

http://faqload.com/faqs/bicycle-com...-rear-derailleur-with-9-speed-or-even-8-speed

As for the chainring, I run a Deckas 56 tooth narrow/wide. The CCS is a 130BCD. I like the taller gearing, but the larger size renders the stock chainguard useless. Wipe down the ring and chain after oiling to avoid getting your pants dirty, or stay with a smaller size to retain the guard, or maybe you can source a larger ring guard. It's really more of a pants protector, imho.
Upgrading the derailleur, chain and chainring cost me just a little more than a hundred dollars, turned a good bike into a freaking great bike, and taught me how to tune a derailleur. There are articles in the forum that helped me with tuning, and Park Tool has excellent videos on tuning, maintenance, etc.

I am @2500+ miles as well a little over a year with my CCS. Added after market handle bars and added a bunch of LEDs for extra visibility at night. The CCS is a tank! Co workers like it and comment about it often. And i love it when i blow by class 2 and Porsches sitting in traffic!

I just put in new tires (Marathon plus). Also I am looking to fix my chain drops.. Ried can you post your specific components? I can't find your original post.

Love my bike as well. (Minus the chain drops which I hope to fix soon)

Glad to hear Reid and welcome back to the forum. Love the mods you have done and has given me a wealth of knowledge from your posts about bike mods in general! Ride safe and hope your back feels better. I have also had to do back exercises daily to keep it strong and healthy and minimize pain from a bike injury back in 2012. Takes time, but they do get better. :p

Only about 600 miles on my bike.. kind of had a hiatus during the holiday season because working retail means no free time. Broke out the bike this past weekend and everything running great still.. can't wait to get some more time in. There is a bike path within riding range that is a real treat to ride on and see more people.

I am @2500+ miles as well a little over a year with my CCS. Added after market handle bars and added a bunch of LEDs for extra visibility at night. The CCS is a tank! Co workers like it and comment about it often. And i love it when i blow by class 2 and Porsches sitting in traffic!

I just put in new tires (Marathon plus). Also I am looking to fix my chain drops.. Ried can you post your specific components? I can't find your original post.

Love my bike as well. (Minus the chain drops which I hope to fix soon)

Great, glad to hear!

I haven't ridden mine since the summer since I have very short travel needs usually, and I don't have storage at home :/. Good to know that the bikes are holding up well.

Back