All year commuting in Sweden

logixx

Hello and greetings from Sweden,

Me and my family are looking to buy a house in a suburb of Stockholm. My plan is to start commuting by bike, probably e-bike, as the distance is likely to be around 20 kilometres and I’d prefer to be able to get to work fresh even though I can shower at my job. I’ve also got a Specialized Sirrus Elite if I'm feeling hungry for some “regular” biking. For info I'm 5' 11 and around 205 lbs.

I want to commute all year around, which means temperature ranges from 15-30 celsius in the summer and minus 0-15 celsius with the potential of a lot of snow. Swedish weather can be tricky to predict as no year is like the other. The commute will consist of proper bike paths with pavement and very few traffic lights. Usually there’s only a day or two at max you’d have to put up with newly fallen snow before the plough machines start rolling out, but it’s good to be prepared for snow.

The elevation differences look something like this:
There are subsidies for electric bikes up to around 1k eur (25% of the purchase up to 4k eur) which makes it a good time to buy. My budget can be stretched to 4-5k not including the subsidies but lower is of course better as I want to get some panniers/bags, better lights etc. I'm more comfortable paying between 3-4k.

I've been researching a lot but haven't had time to visit any retailers yet.

Features I've imagined being a plus when commuting all year round (feel free to talk me out of it):

• Wide balloon tires (comfortable, good grip?)
• Internal Gear Hub (less maintenance, smoother transitions?)
• Belt drive (less maintenance?)
• Integrated battery (not exposed to the elements, maybe not as cold in the winter time?)
• Integrated lights (convienience!)

Demands set in stone afaik:

• Well known drive, pref. Bosch mid.
• 500wh battery or more

Concerns:

• Repairing/replacing more exclusive parts like belt drives and IGH.
• Spending too much money as the ebike will be "outdated" soon

All of these are 25 kph bikes, as "speed bikes" are not permitted on bike paths in Sweden. Not all brands are easily attainable in Sweden. But these are some bikes that I've come across during my research that fit most or some of my features:

HNF Nicolai XD2 Urban – ca 4k eur

(Link Removed - No Longer Exists)

Riese & Muller Supercharger GH nuvinci - ca 4.6k eur, could also get the GT touring with normal derailleur instead.

Haibike Sduro Trekking 9.0 (or 7.5, Cross 9.0 is not available here) - ca 4k eur

https://www.haibike.com

Moustache Friday 27.5 - ca 4k eur

Trek Super Commuter+ 8 - ca 4.5k eur

https://www.trekbikes.com/gb/en_GB/...muter/super-commuter-8/p/17219/?colorCode=red

It's basically only the Trek that I can get from a "big" retailer which can service the bike. I am not sure about the other brands as they're imported to smaller LBS. I also know these are quite expensive bikes and I'd prefer something cheaper but I like talking myself into these things.

Am I on the right track?

I'd suggest a thin layer of aluminum for the compartment is not going to keep the battery any warmer in the winter. Nor will it protect it from the weather as the compartment is not weather tight. I don't know what integrated lights really are, but I appreciate it running off the main battery. I also appreciate the way mine is mounted as I can adjust on the ride when I need to see further out. Wide ballon tires will be miserable in snow. Snow is incredibly difficult. It's only easy if it's powder. Too wet and it's miserable as you have to push into it as you ride, frozen is dangerous and like riding on a slick cobblestone road. You'll need spikes if it's frozen. If you are concerned about the technology being outdated, how do you buy a phone or computer? Same thing for the bike. Just buy it and use it. Upgrade in a few years.

I'd suggest a thin layer of aluminum for the compartment is not going to keep the battery any warmer in the winter. Nor will it protect it from the weather as the compartment is not weather tight...

I like the integrated battery from an aesthetic point of view. But with my externally mounted Bosch batteries I appreciate the greater flexibility they offer. Part of which is the ability to throw on the Fahrer neoprene cover in the winter. I expect that the tolerances for the internally mounted batteries are probably too tight for a battery cover and that perhaps no one is making them yet if they would fit (at least in the case of the Bosch Powertubes). But I don't know this for fact. The other part of that flexibility is the ease with which the external battery can be detached and thrown in a backpack. Probably not too much extra trouble with the Powertubes though.

As for the bike choices: if the speed is limited to 15 mph then maybe look at a bike with a drive system that is easier to pedal over the cutoff? The Brose reviews have led me to believe there is less drag with the Brose S motor vs the Bosch in this regard. I'm not a fan of the Nuvinci because of the gear range and because I just prefer more precise shifting so I'd go derailleur before Nuvinci. But then that brings up the negative of the weekly cleaning particularly in the winter. Belt drive and Rohloff out of the budget? One thing I like about that Haibike SDuro 9.0 is I think that has the option to mount the second battery on top of the downtube. That will give you the option to take longer trips or to leave the second battery behind for the daily commute. Of course you'd have to buy the second battery. And Riese and Muller has good dual battery options as well. The Moustache sure is a pretty bike. Fortunately Logixx, you have some great options.

There's a channel on YouTube called E-bike Commuter. The guy is from Finland and commutes year-round. You might check it out for useful tips.

I'd suggest a thin layer of aluminum for the compartment is not going to keep the battery any warmer in the winter. Nor will it protect it from the weather as the compartment is not weather tight. I don't know what integrated lights really are, but I appreciate it running off the main battery. I also appreciate the way mine is mounted as I can adjust on the ride when I need to see further out. Wide ballon tires will be miserable in snow. Snow is incredibly difficult. It's only easy if it's powder. Too wet and it's miserable as you have to push into it as you ride, frozen is dangerous and like riding on a slick cobblestone road. You'll need spikes if it's frozen. If you are concerned about the technology being outdated, how do you buy a phone or computer? Same thing for the bike. Just buy it and use it. Upgrade in a few years.

Thanks for your suggestions and time!

I guess having an internal battery is more for the looks. Perhaps it's even better to have an external one that I can surround with neoprene like Over50 recommended.

About the tires: I've noticed that a lot of the high end tier bikes uses the Schwalbe Super Moto X which made me conclude that there is some kind of benefit with wide/balloon-tires. I'll definitely get spiked tires for the winter. I just get the feeling that wide tires (spiked) are better than thin ones as I get more contact with the pavement/snow/ice.

I like the integrated battery from an aesthetic point of view. But with my externally mounted Bosch batteries I appreciate the greater flexibility they offer. Part of which is the ability to throw on the Fahrer neoprene cover in the winter. I expect that the tolerances for the internally mounted batteries are probably too tight for a battery cover and that perhaps no one is making them yet if they would fit (at least in the case of the Bosch Powertubes). But I don't know this for fact. The other part of that flexibility is the ease with which the external battery can be detached and thrown in a backpack. Probably not too much extra trouble with the Powertubes though.

As for the bike choices: if the speed is limited to 15 mph then maybe look at a bike with a drive system that is easier to pedal over the cutoff? The Brose reviews have led me to believe there is less drag with the Brose S motor vs the Bosch in this regard. I'm not a fan of the Nuvinci because of the gear range and because I just prefer more precise shifting so I'd go derailleur before Nuvinci. But then that brings up the negative of the weekly cleaning particularly in the winter. Belt drive and Rohloff out of the budget? One thing I like about that Haibike SDuro 9.0 is I think that has the option to mount the second battery on top of the downtube. That will give you the option to take longer trips or to leave the second battery behind for the daily commute. Of course you'd have to buy the second battery. And Riese and Muller has good dual battery options as well. The Moustache sure is a pretty bike. Fortunately Logixx, you have some great options.

Thanks for your input Over50!

I like the idea of the neoprene cover, I bet that is warmer than being incased in aluminium. Sound a lot cheaper than aiming for a bike with integrated battery too!

The more I read about Nuvinci the more I've been telling myself it's perhaps better to get a classic derailleur (Shimano SLX or better). It seems to be hit or miss if you like it or not. I'm gonna try one out in a store though. The Rohloff seems crazy good but I've yet to find any affordable model with it.

There's a channel on YouTube called E-bike Commuter. The guy is from Finland and commutes year-round. You might check it out for useful tips.

Thanks! I will be checking it out.

An update for those who are interested: I had the time today to visit som retailers, to try out some of the bikes. I got to try the Riese & Muller New Charger (Nuvinci 380 with carbon belt) and I also tried out a Haibike Sduro Trekking 7.5 (which is basically the same as the 9.0 except from lights, front fork, integrated battery and rear derailleur).

My reactions were positive to both bikes and I liked them a lot. The quality and finish of both were outstanding. Bosch CX seems to pack a punch for the hills. I loved the big/wide tires on the Haibike! The big difference were the IGH vs derailleur. With the Nuvinci IGH I felt that it would be hard to go past 25 kph (engine cut off) on flat roads, as it felt sluggish as soon as the assistance fell off. I also felt that there was more resistance in the IGH than than the derailleur, for those times when the battery would be dead (hopefully never, but I guess it could happen). Using the standard derailleur of the Haibike I could more easily get up to speeds exceeding the electric assistance on flat roads. On the other hand the IGH was smoother in stop-and-go kind of situations.

For my purposes the Haibike feels like a better choice. It’s cheaper (both the 7.5 and 9.0), easier to repair, more potential speed when I’m up for it or I want to get some exercise. The downside will be more maintenance (especially in the winter) and perhaps more money spent in the future.

Now I just have to decide whereas to get the 7.5 or 9.0 but that’s a choice I could probably handle myself!

Big thanks for all the input! I’ll be posting my new bike in a while.

Could you ski to work in the winter?

I’m afraid not. Stockholm is not guaranteed to have snow every year and even if it snowed all paths get ploughed very quickly to accommodate cyclists and pedestrians.

I do think I’d be kinda sweaty from 20 km of skiing as well :p

Talked to the retailer again. Going with the Trekking 7.5 with Lupine SL-lights. The Trekking 9.0 is not worth the money, but I wanted the lights.

...Talked to the retailer again. Going with the Trekking 7.5 with Lupine SL-lights...

That's a sweet looking bike. You asked about the Super Moto X tires. I've found them to be very good, stable and reliable for mostly street riding. My rides in the rain or wet streets haven't been very frequent but they handled well the few times I have had a rainstorm to deal with. Definitely you would change, as you mention, when you start getting snow. As for puncture protection they have been excellent. My bike route has a lot of glass. Just on my return home tonight I thought to myself that the amount of glass in one section of urban park was just ridiculous. So far no flats. My Charger GX came stock with the Schwalbe Rock Razor tires but I had the bike shop switch to the Super Moto X prior to shipping the bike.

Really pretty bike. Maybe you'll have better luck finding panniers than I did (I have the XDuro Trekking 4.0 from around 2016). Partly because I have a small frame and I think partly because I think those pannier rails hang slow low, the heels of my shoes collide with the bags I've tried. I use a velcro attaching trunk bag that has fold down pockets and a backpack when I commute on my Haibike.

Really pretty bike. Maybe you'll have better luck finding panniers than I did (I have the XDuro Trekking 4.0 from around 2016). Partly because I have a small frame and I think partly because I think those pannier rails hang slow low, the heels of my shoes collide with the bags I've tried. I use a velcro attaching trunk bag that has fold down pockets and a backpack when I commute on my Haibike.

We'll see. I'll try out a couple of panniers and see what fits. I got the size 56 frame which felt "roomy" but not too big.

I'm also thinking of upgrading to a suspension seat post.

Back