Air valve stem question

Region
USA
My Lectric was delivered last night and all components seem to be in good working order other than the way the rear air valve stem is protruding from the rim. Compared to the front tire stem, the rear stem isn't completely pulled out. Plus, it leans at an angle. The front stem protrudes straight out at 90 degrees; it looks perfect. I did deflate the rear tire and with my fingers managed to pull the front stem out more, as well as decrease the acuity of the angle. It's considerably improved but it's not 100% like the front. The inner tube must have been poorly positioned at the factory.

I'm wondering if the rear inner tube might fail prematurely where stem meets the inner tube rubber. Or will I be forced to have my first self-taught clinic, remove the rear tire and re-situate the tube?

Last edited:
My Lectric was delivered last night and all components seem to be in good working order other than the rear air valve stem. Compared to the front tire, it's not completely pulled out and it leans at an angle. The front is longer and sticks straight out at 90 degrees; it looks perfect. I did deflate the rear tire and managed to pull out the front stem some more, as well as decrease the acuity of the angle. It's considerably better but it's not 100% like the front. The inner tube must have been positioned incorrectly at the factory.

I'm wondering if the rear inner tube will fail prematurely where stem meets the inner tube rubber. Or am I going to be forced to have my first self-taught clinic, remove the rear tire and re-situate the tube so the valve sticks out in a more normal fashion?
let the air out and wiggle the valve till it is straight. You may have to sldie the tire a bit but hopfully you don't need to take the tire off.

Last edited:
My Lectric was delivered last night and all components seem to be in good working order other than the way the rear air valve stem is protruding from the rim. Compared to the front tire stem, the rear stem isn't completely pulled out and it leans at an angle. The front stem protrudes straight out at 90 degrees; it looks perfect. I did deflate the rear tire and with my fingers managed to pull the front stem out more, as well as decrease the acuity of the angle. It's considerably better but it's not 100% like the front. The inner tube must have been poorly positioned at the factory.

I'm wondering if the rear inner tube might fail prematurely where stem meets the inner tube rubber. Or will I be forced to have my first self-taught clinic, remove the rear tire and re-situate the tube?
I'd be concerned here as well. Worst case though, is having to remove one side of the tire from the rim. That can be done pretty easily with the wheel in place. Work smart and remove the side where there's the most room. Should be easy to see.

I would be concerned of the hole in the rim cutting the valve stem. For sure let the air out of the tire and and move the tube and or tire to get the stem straight. Would suck to have to replace a tube right off the bat with your new ebike.

I'd take the core out of the valve so there is NO air pressure left in the tube, break both beads on the tire, which you might be able to do by just pinching the sidewalls together (all this without taking the wheel off), then slide the wheel in the direction the valve stem is leaning, You'll only have to move the tire a little bit. You should easily be able to straighten the stem. Put the valve core back in, and reinflate.

You might be able to pull the tube into the right position without breaking the beads and moving the tire, but I wouldn't want to try too hard.

And there's probably not a whole lot of danger in just leaving the stem where it is until you have to fix a flat or whatever.

TT

I'd take the core out of the valve so there is NO air pressure left in the tube, break both beads on the tire, which you might be able to do by just pinching the sidewalls together (all this without taking the wheel off), then slide the wheel in the direction the valve stem is leaning, You'll only have to move the tire a little bit. You should easily be able to straighten the stem. Put the valve core back in, and reinflate.

You might be able to pull the tube into the right position without breaking the beads and moving the tire, but I wouldn't want to try too hard.

And there's probably not a whole lot of danger in just leaving the stem where it is until you have to fix a flat or whatever.

TT
Deflate, break the bead and straighten it NOW. You straighten it by moving the tire around the rim a bit. Don't just try to straighten the valve. At best, you'd stretch the tube. At worst, you'd set it up for quick failure. Once you break the bead, the tire should rotate on the rim pretty easily, and move the tube with it. You don't even need to remove the wheel.

Do use all the usual cautions when you re-inflate, especially checking to make sure the bead is evenly seated. You do this by lightly inflating the tire, then looking at the edge where it meets the rim to make sure it's even all the way around on both sides.

Thanks for all your thoughts and comments! Rather than attempt a fix now, I'll be getting a bike repair stand this Saturday which I think should make the whole operation easier. I'll take all your advice - deflate the tire, break the bead and align the inner tube. Rear brake engaged, of course.

Frustrated by valve stem issues I started using tubes with steel stems with a lock ring.
Both Schader and presta available.
Screen Shot 2021-09-15 at 11.52.12 AM.png

Back