A Word on Ride1UP Shipping

mgilbert

Region
USA
City
Lawrenceburg, Kentucky
I ordered a Ride1UP 700 this past Sunday evening. On Monday, I got an email saying it had "shipped". How exciting, right? Well, not so fast. With most things I've ever ordered, that means I'd be receiving my order in two or three days. With Ride1UP, "shipped" only means they've labeled your package and put it on a truck, for the carrier to pick up later. In my case it was three days later before the tracking number started showing any progress whatsoever. It's now scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday - a week and day after it "shipped". I emailed Ride1UP to politely express my disappointment, and was answered promptly, explaining the actual shipping process.

Considering that many e-bike sellers don't even have stock right now, and also considering that both Ride1UP and UPS/FedEx are swamped, I guess the outcome for my order could have been much worse. I just wanted others to know not to get too excited when they order, then get an email, saying their order has "shipped", just hours later.

8 days looks like a more than fair timeframe to me. :)

One of the keys is the term "*shipment*", which in direct-to-consumer (DTC) terms means that the order has been prepped, packaged, and the shipping label generated. Many direct to consumer brands (not just e-bikes) use this method, where they drop off to (or have pick up from) the shipper *usually* twice a week, depending on size/volume of shipments, unless they have an alternate premium shipping option.

This method makes economical sense for a lot of small/mid-size businesses.

Just took a look at Ride1Up's shipping details on their support page, and list 1-4 days for shipment, which suggests a twice weekly pick-up from the shipper.

Personally, when making that rare big purchase online, I usually fill everything out to the point where I have the credit card info entered, and before hitting buy, I call the company to make sure the online stock is in sync with the what they actually have.

This way, if I can't get a human, then I'm skeptical.
Since this has to be done during business hours, it prevents late night stupid purchases.:)

Doing this on my last e-bike purchase, I lucked out and by calling, found out that they DID have the colour I wanted in stock for my size (it came in just an hour earlier so wasn't reflected in the web inventory). I was able to order, with a note, and got what I REALLY wanted. :)

8 days looks like a more than fair timeframe to me. :)

One of the keys is the term "*shipment*", which in direct-to-consumer (DTC) terms means that the order has been prepped, packaged, and the shipping label generated. Many direct to consumer brands (not just e-bikes) use this method, where they drop off to (or have pick up from) the shipper *usually* twice a week, depending on size/volume of shipments, unless they have an alternate premium shipping option.

This method makes economical sense for a lot of small/mid-size businesses.

Just took a look at Ride1Up's shipping details on their support page, and list 1-4 days for shipment, which suggests a twice weekly pick-up from the shipper.

Personally, when making that rare big purchase online, I usually fill everything out to the point where I have the credit card info entered, and before hitting buy, I call the company to make sure the online stock is in sync with the what they actually have.

This way, if I can't get a human, then I'm skeptical.
Since this has to be done during business hours, it prevents late night stupid purchases.:)

Doing this on my last e-bike purchase, I lucked out and by calling, found out that they DID have the colour I wanted in stock for my size (it came in just an hour earlier so wasn't reflected in the web inventory). I was able to order, with a note, and got what I REALLY wanted. :)
That makes sense. I just haven't ever run into it before. The thing that bothered me was that they said the order had "shipped" when it clearly had not. Also, based on the map on their website, they indicated that I would receive my order in four days - not eight. All it all, I felt deceived. I've read all the shipping details on their support page. They simply didn't deliver on what those pages promised.

That makes sense. I just haven't ever run into it before. The thing that bothered me was that they said the order had "shipped" when it clearly had not. Also, based on the map on their website, they indicated that I would receive my order in four days - not eight. All it all, I felt deceived. I've read all the shipping details on their support page. They simply didn't deliver on what those pages promised.
This happens quite often with Ebay sales. I notice is sent that the the item has "shipped" when in reality all the seller did was print a mailing label. It makes them look like they ship quickly. The only business I can count on to ship quickly and deliver at the promised time is Amazon. BTW, I am a 1up owner since 2011and love my racks.

This happens quite often with Ebay sales. I notice is sent that the the item has "shipped" when in reality all the seller did was print a mailing label. It makes them look like they ship quickly. The only business I can count on to ship quickly and deliver at the promised time is Amazon. BTW, I am a 1up owner since 2011and love my racks.
I've noticed that with eBay, but I've had good luck with eBay sellers. They almost always ship within 24 hours.

I ordered a Ride1UP 700 this past Sunday evening. On Monday, I got an email saying it had "shipped". How exciting, right? Well, not so fast. With most things I've ever ordered, that means I'd be receiving my order in two or three days. With Ride1UP, "shipped" only means they've labeled your package and put it on a truck, for the carrier to pick up later. In my case it was three days later before the tracking number started showing any progress whatsoever. It's now scheduled to be delivered next Tuesday - a week and day after it "shipped". I emailed Ride1UP to politely express my disappointment, and was answered promptly, explaining the actual shipping process.

Considering that many e-bike sellers don't even have stock right now, and also considering that both Ride1UP and UPS/FedEx are swamped, I guess the outcome for my order could have been much worse. I just wanted others to know not to get too excited when they order, then get an email, saying their order has "shipped", just hours later.
I received my bike on March 30, found wrong bike in box. Had to repack, send it back. Support generated new label for the right bike(lmtd), on April 2. Still says waiting to be picked up at ups tracking. Have no clue when I will receive it.

I received my bike on March 30, found wrong bike in box. Had to repack, send it back. Support generated new label for the right bike(lmtd), on April 2. Still says waiting to be picked up at ups tracking. Have no clue when I will receive it.
I did receive my bike a week after ordering. Since then, their support has been excellent. The listed torque specifications on the stem faceplate are way too high, and I damaged the faceplate as a result. I went to a bike shop and bought a new one, and Ride1Up reimbursed me, in full, without delay, and without excuses. Hang in there. Once you get your bike, you'll enjoy it.

I ordered a 500 five days ago. I got the "it has shipped" email the same day. It just now shipped according to UPS. The estimated delivery is in three days, so eight days total.

I ordered a 500 five days ago. I got the "it has shipped" email the same day. It just now shipped according to UPS. The estimated delivery is in three days, so eight days total.
That seems to be about the norm for them. They really shouldn't say an order has shipped when it hasn't, but frankly, eight days is pretty good, compared to some other sellers.

I did receive my bike a week after ordering. Since then, their support has been excellent. The listed torque specifications on the stem faceplate are way too high, and I damaged the faceplate as a result. I went to a bike shop and bought a new one, and Ride1Up reimbursed me, in full, without delay, and without excuses. Hang in there. Once you get your bike, you'll enjoy it.
What was the torque listed at and more importantly what is it now? Whilst just browsing their install manual instructions I noticed that only the crank arm 39nm and seat clamp post 16 or so nm are the highest torqued items for assembly rest is low numbers.

What was the torque listed at and more importantly what is it now? Whilst just browsing their install manual instructions I noticed that only the crank arm 39nm and seat clamp post 16 or so nm are the highest torqued items for assembly rest is low numbers.

The main ones are those four bolts that hold the faceplate to the stem. Most manufacturers list those as 5 to 6 newton-meters. The manual lists 8 to 10, which is too high for 4mm steel bolts into aluminum. I'd double check online on all of them as I went along, based on the size of the bolt, going into aluminum.

The main ones are those four bolts that hold the faceplate to the stem. Most manufacturers list those as 5 to 6 newton-meters. The manual lists 8 to 10, which is too high for 4mm steel bolts into aluminum. I'd double check online on all of them as I went along, based on the size of the bolt, going into aluminum.
thanks, that's almost hand tight plus a quarter? lol

thanks, that's almost hand tight plus a quarter? lol
Perhaps our torque wrenches are calibrated differently. Go with what makes you comfortable. My last bike was a Giant Defy, and those bolts were labeled 6 nm, right on the bike. The Giant stem I bought to replace the one I damaged on my new 700 is labeled 5 nm.

Perhaps our torque wrenches are calibrated differently. Go with what makes you comfortable. My last bike was a Giant Defy, and those bolts were labeled 6 nm, right on the bike. The Giant stem I bought to replace the one I damaged on my new 700 is labeled 5 nm.
Going back to your original post about labels and shipping. My UPS label got created today. I remember Samsung did the same as did Apple when purchasing from them online. I used to get all excited about shipping labels being created and then let down when nothing would happen for a few days. Oh, the good ole days.

I've read so many posts from Ride1Up users. I hadn't read that anyone stripped those bolts before. They've updated their support pages recently - more info out there worth reading. I was very happy with my 700's quick shipment and arriving in excellent condition, including the box. lol

Ordered mine Tuesday ( 2 days ago ) ups tracking showing expected delivery for Wed 21st.
It was for a 700 in robin eggshell blue lol.

Last edited:
Back