A Van and an Ebike

SBR continued: Over several years that ensued I continued to find her tracks on or near trails over a considerable range of territory.
Often I would scent her presence & know that I was being studied from concealment. Sometimes she left little messages behind like
a tree limb twisted into a knot high above the trail or feather wedged into bark. She was such a tease. In the meantime, forage in
the local tidelands was disappearing, fewer & fewer dungeness crabs. The queducks had been illegally poached away by comercial
divers Then too there was a major clam die-off caused by a toxic spill from the pulp mill. The beaches became paved with dead, empty shells.
Little remained but a few horse clams & turbine snails. The woods still produced copious varieties of mushrooms, but again hikers were
reducing the number of the more delectable species.(psyllisibes especially)🥴. Very few people are aware of a variety of wild ginseng,
(not eleuthera, i.e, devil´s club), or of a species of jiaogulan that also produces adaptogens & saponins. Wild carrot,(Queen Anne´s lace),
is still abundant, but risky to harvest for those who cannot distinguish it from hemlock. In late spring Skoocum is fond of new spruce/doug fir
buds which are loaded with vitamin C. Additionally their digestive tracts have adapted to convert the terpinoids into fatty acids. I digress,
(frequently) tbc,
Anybody remember the old movie theatre serials? A cliff hanger every week ... and then tbc :D

Anybody remember the old movie theatre serials? A cliff hanger every week ... and then tbc :D
Ya mean like flash gordon & the mole men or Gene Autry´s radio ranch. Ya just reminded me to dig out my Autry Christmas album.
Shazam!😀

Your analysis is spot on... lots of tech people are leaving the Bay Area and heading to Zoom towns - Lake Tahoe is booming and the locals are not happy campers. 😉
Same thing happened to Seattle in the mid 80s. Ruined a beautiful city. I remember the most popular bumper sticker in Colorado in the early 70s was “Let's not Californicate Colorado!”

Same thing happened to Seattle in the mid 80s. Ruined a beautiful city. I remember the most popular bumper sticker in Colorado in the early 70s was “Let's not Californicate Colorado!”
I remember that; it was all John Denver´s fault! I´m an expat Coloradan driven from the Roaring Fork Valley when locals could no
longer afford to live there. Same thing´s happening here now,

In the mid 80s same thing happened with NYC, Baltimore, etc. In Maine, a popular bumper sticker said "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"

How could I; I was enthralled by Maureen O´Sullivan in a loin cloth & boostier.
What could be more fun than stampeding a herd of elephants thru a buncha thatch huts.
This thread needs another visual image... 😉

1605822383589.png

Last edited:
In the mid 80s same thing happened with NYC, Baltimore, etc. In Maine, a popular bumper sticker said "If it's tourist season, why can't we shoot them?"
In Colorado the mantra was screw the tourists in season & the locals offseason.

It's a big country and every state is a bit diffferent. Sometimes a lot different. North vs. South, East vs West.

Ya mean like flash gordon & the mole men or Gene Autry´s radio ranch. Ya just reminded me to dig out my Autry Christmas album.
Shazam!😀
Me, me..I do I do :) I also remember Batman in the Packard,. Rocket X. Ahhhh 2 fer movie afternoons. Tingler, House on Haunted Hill, Ben Hur...but I digress. I am totally into Mr Pecks Big Foot posts. I am a sceptic by nature and a bit cynical but totally open to information that makes me rethink something. The narrative is excellent!

Me, me..I do I do :) I also remember Batman in the Packard,. Rocket X. Ahhhh 2 fer movie afternoons. Tingler, House on Haunted Hill, Ben Hur...but I digress. I am totally into Mr Pecks Big Foot posts. I am a sceptic by nature and a bit cynical but totally open to information that makes me rethink something. The narrative is excellent!
John's story telling is fun, but just how far off topic are we now?.. 😁 . Doesn't matter since this is the off topic section, but the Google bots are going nuts trying to index this thread.

Let them eat Bot I always say :)
I took my little brother with me to the Saturday Double by walking down the RR tracks from home regularly. Mom didn't know the track was still used occasionally ... When the inevitable train finally came up on us, we flattened ourselves against an embankment in terror, but still went to the movies...

I came for van and bike, stayed for the bizarre. Archaic man indeed...the book 1491 as well as Craig Child’s Atlas of a Lost World grounds some of these stimulating digressions. Moving back in the thread I live on a small farm and a tiny house gradually becoming a rural island and (I don’t have to tell you) we live in perilous times, economically as well as dealing with a plague. So how are the local pastures that are being sliced and diced into 400-600K housing lots so soon sold out? Where is this money coming from...is it the interest rates, does anyone even care? To explore these questions I’ve just picked up David Graeber’s ‘Bull s*it Jobs”.The writer (recently deceased) was not trying to change anything...just amazed at the hollowness of it all..and how it still works

I came for van and bike, stayed for the bizarre. Archaic man indeed...the book 1491 as well as Craig Child’s Atlas of a Lost World grounds some of these stimulating digressions. Moving back in the thread I live on a small farm and a tiny house gradually becoming a rural island and (I don’t have to tell you) we live in perilous times, economically as well as dealing with a plague. ...SNIP...and how it still works.
It mostly still works. Around here the realtor's will mention out of area buyers looking for old farmsteads b/c they want enough space to land a helicopter, and hope to rent out the farm. IDK of any such deals ever going through, but there probably are a few. Not local money for sure. And they probably won't stay very long once they get bored.

John's story telling is fun, but just how far off topic are we now?.. 😁 . Doesn't matter since this is the off topic section, but the Google bots are going nuts trying to index this thread.
Well....my van was an accomplice for much of the narrative; does that help?

Well....my van was an accomplice for much of the narrative; does that help?
Okay, I type with one finger; I´m gettin´ carpal tunnel, so I´ll finish off the SBR. THe long & short of it is foraging here had become more trouble
than it was worth. Population here has grown at least 500% in the last 30 years. Access to coastal resources for the species has been largely
cut off either by human growth & by biological decline. She moved on. About the same time I found a track of a large male.

Last edited:
Back