Whizzbang Treat Alert W/Video

PedalUma

Region
USA
City
Petaluma, CA
Is mounting an AI enabled device that alerts a cyclist to approaching threats from ahead and behind while recording and displaying those potential threats another techno distraction from being in the real world, or a massive benefit?
I got rolled coal in a group ride last month. The driver assailed a bunch of us including a seven year-old girl. The Chief of Police sort of blew it off because there was no video.
Yesterday my co-worker/boss was verbally accosted and threatened twice on his commute. Evidence would at least put those two drivers on watch.
If you wanted such a set-up what features would you want? Given that many people have HB mounted phones already.
Personally, I see benefits to commuters and mostly cargo moms with this emerging tech. For me being present and situationally aware is more important than looking down at a screen or rewinding old grievances.

Garmin varia has a model that records video for threats from the rear, maybe a go pro for the front?
One problem with Roadio is that they do not have semi-connectors of differing lengths to accommodate road bikes, commuter bikes, and cargo bikes. The extra lengths get round around or in some cases are too short.

I have the cameras but for my commute, it gets old having to charge them every day as I never catch anything. so I only use them on the tandem and not on every ride. You need something that does not require much maintenance.

I was watching a Inside Edition special today on insurance fraud. A car will stop on the interstate in front of you, you stop and they slam their car in reverse-claiming you rear ended them. Up to four bums will get out holding their neck. Dash cams should be mandatory for all vehicles at this point OR give us who use them a worthwhile discount on auto insurance. But anyways, back on topic. My co-worker sent me a video of a front/rear camera for bikes. I erased the video by mistake but it looked like a self-contained set-up that you could run off your USB port on a ebike. I still never got around to figuring out the DJI I purchased. Come to think about it I haven't seen the box in weeks...

I'll ask if my co-worker if he could find that bike based video system again.

I've been using Cycliq cameras. Battery life is about six to seven hours. They are purpose designed as a cycling "dash cam". https://cycliq.com/ I used to ride a long solo commute so I considered it my "flight recorder". If you crash, you probably won't remember what happened since it's like unplugging your computer in the middle of saving your work.

Back