Replacement Gazelle Ultimate C380+ Pedals

Jim1348

I broke a pedal on my Gazelle Ultimate C380+ during my ride this afternoon.

Should I replace with the same pedals that it came with or should I look for something different?

I broke a pedal on my Gazelle Ultimate C380+ during my ride this afternoon.

Should I replace with the same pedals that it came with or should I look for something different?
If the pedal broke in normal use, there's your answer. Assuming you're after platform pedals, but soooo many choices available.

I get good grip and durability from aluminum MTB pedals with spikes for extra grip. But my legs run afoul of the spikes at times, and some people don't like them. Some spikes are longer and more aggressive than others, and some are adjustable.

Nylon pedals would seem to be tough and lightweight, but I have no experience with them.

Use the forum search function. Lots of pedal discussions to give you ideas. You don't need to spend top dollar to get good pedals.

Beyond the functional considerations, colorful pedals can add a nice visual accent, like shoes. If my favorite $40 MTB pedal came in colors, I would have been sorely tempted to get orange for one bike and blue for the other.

This thread is suddenly relevant for me. One of the pedals on my 13 month old (2500 miles) Ultimate T10+ wore out as well. This is notable because it's the first thing that's malfunctioned on the bike since I had it, I haven't even had a flat tire. Another odd thing is that my bike came with a second set of pedals, the bike shop had no idea why and perhaps they were included in error. Sadly I gave those away so now I'm looking. Probably a nice flat MTB style pedal with a good grip is the way to go--my #2 fear while biking is having a foot slip off the pedal. I like that the Raceface pedals come in colors, I'm wondering if I want to match or contrast with the shiny red paintjob on the bike.

For a completely different option, consider removable pedals. We frequently carry our two Gazelles on the rear of our travel trailer/caravan. with removable pedals, there is no interference between the two bikes, or any chance of a pedal from one bike rubbing on the frame of the other over rough roads. It takes less than a minute to remove or replace the pedals once the adaptor is installed. I have the MKS UX-D Ezy nylon pedals on my wife's Arroyo C5, as she is a casual rider. I have the MKS Pretzel Ezy Superior on my Ultimate C380 for better grip. If you choose MKS removable pedals, be sure to also get the thin spanner specifically for the narrow wrench flats. A typical Park pedal wrench is too thick. I originally considered folding pedals, but most are only reduced in length by about half when folded.

MKS are high quality, reasonably priced pedals made in Japan. Only the Ezy and Ezy Superior are removable. A friend has the Ezy SPD-compatible pedals for use with SPD shoes, and then quickly swaps over to an Ezy platform pedal for casual riding. Note that Ezy and Ezy Superior pedals are not interchangeable. Ezy pedals have a locking ring that is installed after snapping the pedal in place. Ezy Superior pedals just twist and push to lock and unlock.

41-FdHUa+8L._AC_SX679_.jpg

UX-D_Ezy_01_750x500.jpg

Last edited:
This thread is suddenly relevant for me. One of the pedals on my 13 month old (2500 miles) Ultimate T10+ wore out as well. This is notable because it's the first thing that's malfunctioned on the bike since I had it, I haven't even had a flat tire. Another odd thing is that my bike came with a second set of pedals, the bike shop had no idea why and perhaps they were included in error. Sadly I gave those away so now I'm looking. Probably a nice flat MTB style pedal with a good grip is the way to go--my #2 fear while biking is having a foot slip off the pedal. I like that the Raceface pedals come in colors, I'm wondering if I want to match or contrast with the shiny red paintjob on the bike.

I also ride a Gazelle UIltimate T10+. In the past, I have ridden other quality bikes. In my opinion bike manufacturers do not routinely install quality pedals on bikes knowing that many riders will be replacing them quickly. Pedals are one item that should not be a reflection of the bike's quality. In my case, the OEM pedals on my Gazelle were replaced before I rode 10 miles.

Back