Specialized support

fifteenkey

Region
USA
How long does it take for them to respond to a LBS that sells and services their products?

This is in MA for a Vado SL 4.0. I rode the bike to LBS on Saturday, 9/14/24 for a loose crank and clicking noise from (I think) the mid-drive. They put in a warranty claim to Specialized, tightened the crank, but needed to add a spacer. I rode home but the crank was loose again and the clicking worse. Heard nothing all week and contacted the LBS yesterday, 9/20 for an update:

"We are waiting for a response from Specialized on what they are going to do to get the bike working. As soon as we have information we will reach out to you."

What have your recent experiences been?

Our local LBS helping keep our two older Como's viable, complained that Specialized has become much harder to get responses on repair parts and resistant to what warranty should cover.
The local LBS is now selling alternate name-brand E-Bikes and I anticipate less Como' help from the LBS and Specialized in future ...
have fun

Yesterday, the LBS let me know a new crank arm is on the way. We'll see if that resolves both issues.
I didn't want to write here (why should I mislead you?) but a loose crank-arm and a squeaking/clicking sound in the motor area is a quite common thing about SL e-bikes.
Replacing the crank-arm will certainly solve the issue. It happened to my Vado SL; as the e-bike was post-warranty, I bought and replaced the part myself, and the issue was resolved.

Thanks, Stefan. Honestly, I don't know how to have time to ride with all you contribute to this forum! I learn so much from you and other "regulars" here. My day job is related to keeping a community like this up and running. Our frequent flyers make the community a great source for advice, answers, and inspiration. Thank you!

They are an Isis type crank arm and they really need to be kept tight. It doesn't take any time at all before the crank arm is deformed and will not remain tight if it's ridden loose. They kind of fell out of favor in MTB bikes because the spindle is large so the bottom bracket bearings were smaller and not as durable. They don't have the same bearing constraints in a motor but the crank arms still need to be kept tight or they will deform quickly.

Edit: I learned the lessons the hard way on my 2015 Turbo S hub drive that had a FSA Isis crank. It fell off one morning on the commute. I was able to reattach it to get to work but it was a persistent problem. I even special ordered a Loctite recommended by FSA for that type of joint. Durability of our ebikes have come a long way. I would have an issue every two or three months with the early generation riding it every day. The Turbo S has about 4000 miles and I would not trust it too far from home. My Creo SL has nearly 14000 miles and I don't even hesistate about long rides.

Last edited:
I had your problem a couple of years ago on my Vado SL 4 and Specialized replaced the whole motor after a complaint by my LBS. It arrived a week later and was fitted. Apparently Specialized then discovered it could be tightened up!🤣

Back