Sunringle Duroc 40 Wheels Hub Wear - came with the Hydra

Cuz Vinny

Just an FYI post for those who purchased a WW bike, in my case a Hydra, with Sunringle 27.5 Duroc 40 wheels. I parted my bike out and kept the wheels for future use. I’m going to be using them on a new build and when I inspected them the HG driver had noticeable wear gouges from the cassette slipping due to the power of the motor. No worries though because you can get steel drivers in either HG or XD from Sunringle.
IMG_6571.jpg
In addition Sunringle has a steel 148mm spacing axle. I’m rebuilding my Sunringle SRX rear hub with a steel XD driver so I can run a SRAM GX cassette and the steel 148mm axle. I also got the ratchet and pawl plus new bearings. The hub will be like new again and a lot stronger than before. Total cost is about $150.00 in parts.
IMG_8771.jpeg
IMG_8772.jpeg
IMG_8773.jpeg

Last edited:
You can get a steel free hub with the Hope Pro 5 in HG, not sure about xd but will check as Im riding a sram equipped bike now.

You can get a steel free hub with the Hope Pro 5 in HG, not sure about xd but will check as Im riding a sram equipped bike now.
Spank also has ebike specific hubs. I just bought their Spank Oozy 395 wheels with their XD driver Ebike hubs.

So did you do a comparison between the alum and steel hubs or is this your first steel free hub?
After I replaced the alum free hub with the steel version next time I did some maintenance on the hub I compared the older one to the steel one and you could definetly tell a difference.
One thing to consider is having a steel hub puts more stress on the pawls since your steel to steel instead of alum to steel.

So did you do a comparison between the alum and steel hubs or is this your first steel free hub?
After I replaced the alum free hub with the steel version next time I did some maintenance on the hub I compared the older one to the steel one and you could definetly tell a difference.
One thing to consider is having a steel hub puts more stress on the pawls since your steel to steel instead of alum to steel.
Well the SRX is not a hub to have in a high power ebike. It only has 3 sets of pawls so I‘m pretty sure it will fail at some point.

Here's my freehub after 4500 miles. I'm guessing this is steel? Now that WW closed up their Newton shop, I'm on my own for maintenance and repairs and I just destroyed my third rear wheel (see the cracked rim that goes under the decal). Ordered a Spank 359 wheel and came with alloy freehub - going to order the ebike one now that I know I ordered the right hub spacing.

Attachments

• PXL_20240910_200908729.jpg
    PXL_20240910_200908729.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 29
I'm up and running again with the Spank wheel. Took some liquid soap and some extra pressure to get it to get a new Johnny Watts to seat correctly. The narrower rim makes it look small and the front looks fatter than the rear now but it's functional. Since I destroy so many wheels I'm going to learn to build them too. Duroc SD42 rim is on the way, hopefully I can use the same spokes. If it works out, the Spank can be my spare.
PXL_20240914_202533417.jpg

Unless your hubs have the same exact dims you will need shorter or longer spokes.
Some shops have the ability to cut them shorter for you ( for a fee ) and make them usable.
Most nipples are reusable as well just add a bit of oil to the threads of the spokes when assembling.

If your destroying multiple hubs it’s not the hubs.

Unless your hubs have the same exact dims you will need shorter or longer spokes.
Some shops have the ability to cut them shorter for you ( for a fee ) and make them usable.
Most nipples are reusable as well just add a bit of oil to the threads of the spokes when assembling.

If your destroying multiple hubs it’s not the hubs.
Mostly destroying rims - probably on the roots and rocks most of my trails are lousy with.

Back