Carbon forks?

geekeasy

Region
USA
Quite a few people have upgraded the XP Lite with a suspension fork. But has anyone gone to carbon?

Seems it would give slightly better shock absorption than the stock shocks, but also lighten up the bike quite a bit.

What's the axle width of the XP Lite? Is it 135mm like many fat tire bikes or 100mm like regular width tires? These forks are 117mm.

@harryS Thanks. I just measured and it looks like they're 100mm

And @fooferdoggie the bike started out so heavy, but it keeps getting lighter as I take off a pound here, a 1/2 pound there, and a couple of ounces there again and again. A couple of pound difference may not make a huge difference even when climbing hills, but it does make a big difference every time you have to pick up and carry the bike.

Carbon doesn't necessarily mean better compliance. It could be stiffer than OEM - all depends on the design. And if you ding it, you'll always be wondering if you damaged it.

My brother has just got cured from his dream of a carbon fibre bike... The CF fork of his Marin DSX 3 got a hit by a pebble (ejected by a wheel of a preceding bike on a group ride).

1723266426377.png

It is not just the paint chip. The CF material got delaminated.

1723266597392.png

Yes you can fix it. Resin first, putty next, paint last.

yeah...and I think if all those guys who DIED in that submersible (trying to see the Titanic) knew that it was made of Carbon Fiber... probably would have said, no thank you, and be alive today. Yes, carbon fiber is very light and strong...UNTIL IT ISN'T. And when it isn't, bad things always happen.

My brother has just got cured from his dream of a carbon fibre bike... The CF fork of his Marin DSX 3 got a hit by a pebble (ejected by a wheel of a preceding bike on a group ride).

View attachment 180248
It is not just the paint chip. The CF material got delaminated.

View attachment 180249
Yes you can fix it. Resin first, putty next, paint last.
Stefan, I could be wrong but it appears that there was vinyl wrap applied underneath Jacek’s fork. Curious to know why he didn’t install it on the front of the fork which is an area prone to rock chips and abrasions. Even Heli Tape would likely have prevented that nasty %$# from occurring.

Stefan, I could be wrong but it appears that there was vinyl wrap applied underneath Jacek’s fork. Curious to know why he didn’t install it on the front of the fork which is an area prone to rock chips and abrasions. Even Heli Tape would likely have prevented that nasty %$# from occurring.
He simply did not expect a large stone being thrown by a neighbour rider's wheel at such a high velocity! (Jacek had protected his fork from behind with a 0.3 mm wrap because he thought the pebbles would be only thrown by his own wheel...) Besides, wrapping the fork crown is not that easy.

Now, he knows. He did a gorgeous work with resin, milling, putty, and now he could get colour matched paint. He will certainly think how to wrap the fork crown.

He says were it aluminium fork, he would only get the paint chip. However, carbon fibre got delaminated (forming a "hedgehog"), which made my brother lose his trust with the CF.

Back