Como 3.0 IGH battery upgrade

jpadc

Region
USA
I have a Como 3.0 IGH with the 530Wh battery. It's good, but on longer rides I sure wish I had more capacity.
Specs: Specialized U2-530, alloy casing, state of charge display, 530Wh

Can I order / get the 710Wh battery that comes with the Como 4.0 IGH, and use it in my 3.0?
Specs: Specialized U2-710, alloy casing, state of charge display, 710Wh

I know it won't make the motor 70Nm of torque or anything like that... I'm fine with the power I have, just not the distance I can get

Last edited:
That I don’t know. I suppose if they don’t intend to use their 530w battery they can transfer the cover if the 710 doesn’t come with the cover.
The battery covers are very cheap. I'd recommend he keeps both batteries and rotate them. It is also possible to carry a spare battery in a pannier for really long rides!

I think the battery itself is just a big chunk of plastic while the cover is attached to it for good looks and protecting the battery from the road debris.

I think the battery itself is just a big chunk of plastic while the cover is attached to it for good looks and protecting the battery from the road debris.
I also agree with your recommendation to get a second battery cover, and for the same reasons: they are cheap and then you can swap the batteries in and out very quickly. I took this same approach when I acquired the 604wh battery for my 2019 Vado 3. I ordered a Storm Blue battery cover for the new battery and now I ride with one for a while and then swap it out for the other so both batteries get equal use. Then, when I need the additional distance the larger battery offers, it is an easy swap and I don't have to worry about changing the battery cover, too. It is simply out with the old and in with the new.

I also agree with your recommendation to get a second battery cover, and for the same reasons: they are cheap and then you can swap the batteries in and out very quickly. I took this same approach when I acquired the 604wh battery for my 2019 Vado 3. I ordered a Storm Blue battery cover for the new battery and now I ride with one for a while and then swap it out for the other so both batteries get equal use. Then, when I need the additional distance the larger battery offers, it is an easy swap and I don't have to worry about changing the battery cover, too. It is simply out with the old and in with the new.
Jim, the only point is I do not know anything related to the new battery covers, Gen 2 Turbo e-bikes. I guess a battery needs a cover anyway.

@mfgrep: Would you take a photo of your Vado 4 battery, so we could see the cover?

Thanks all for the information here. In a few days I will be stoping into our local Specialized owned bike shops (Gray Goat) and see about the cost of ordering the battery (and potentially the cover). I'll report on what I learned

Back