Bad News For UPP/Unit Pack Power apologists

m@Robertson

Region
USA
In the UK, Amazon is sending out product recall notices on UPP packs. It is as a result of this, which started floating around the interwebs today along with the text of the Amazon recall email that went out at the same time. In particular, read the "Risk" section, which if you have been around the ebike builder community for awhile, sounds like everything this company makes, not just the two that were tested.

Also this is a 'stop sale' order that includes withdrawing the product from shelves/warehouses, and a recommendation not to repair, but to stop using immediately and dispose of.

Google "OPSS UK Battery Recall" and the summary item reads:
Published on January 22, 2024, the OPSS has identified the UPP e-bike battery as posing a significant risk, with reported instances of fires across England. Enforcement measures include the issuance of Withdrawal Notices to four online marketplaces, instructing them to cease the distribution of the UPP battery
The actual UK government web site says
The Office for Product Safety and Standards (OPSS) is taking enforcement action and warning consumers about a brand of e-bike battery – UPP – that has been linked to a number of fires across England. Four online marketplaces have been issued with Withdrawal Notices which require them, in their roles as distributors of the product, to stop supplying the UPP battery. OPSS has also issued a Withdrawal Notice to 20 sellers directly and has also issued a Withdrawal Notice to the China-based manufacturer.

Consumers are being advised not to use the battery and contact the seller for further redress. Batteries can also be disposed of in local household recycling centres, however consumers should check first with their local centre if they accept this type of battery.

Graham Russell, Chief Executive of OPSS said:

"We consider these UPP batteries to be dangerous, and that is why we are taking this action to stop them being supplied. Consumers need to be aware of the risk of these batteries failing, and the potential fatal consequences that can occur. If anyone owns one, they should not use it and contact the seller for redress."

The Product Safety Report linked in the page above is basically what you see below, screen-shot from a mobile phone. The description of the shoddy construction follows pretty much exactly from private tear-downs I have seen done by battery manufacturers who were appalled by what they saw... but the fans of the company always took pains to shoot those down via a variety of excuses. This time its from a safety regulatory body with no commercial axe to grind, and they made no bones about the poor quality and lack of safety.
422234761_10168708240045387_6903276640020221352_n.jpg

I have only half-jokingly said for years that whenever someone buys a UPP battery, God kills a kitten. So think of the kittens and buy from a better source.

I bought an UPP 52v Hailong battery a couple years ago for my first conversion. Didn't know any better, though the battery is still going strong. It's now on my second Grin hubmotor build, as the battery's base has room for a baserunner controller. And for that reason I'll keep it.
I suppose I should open up the battery and take a look. Afterall, I am a newly self-certified ebike battery builder :rolleyes:.

PXL_20240120_225149985.jpg

My first ebike battery, a 36v 12s3p LFP. I have concluded that playing with batteries is a dangerous hobby, and a good way to burn the tips of your fingers and nose off.

I bought an UPP 52v Hailong battery a couple years ago for my first conversion. Didn't know any better, though the battery is still going strong. It's now on my second Grin hubmotor build, as the battery's base has room for a baserunner controller. And for that reason I'll keep it.
I suppose I should open up the battery and take a look. Afterall, I am a newly self-certified ebike battery builder :rolleyes:.

View attachment 170185

My first ebike battery, a 36v 12s3p LFP. I have concluded that playing with batteries is a dangerous hobby, and a good way to burn the tips of your fingers and nose off.
you actually ended up with a bit more than 36 volts?

Yeah, more like 40 volts nominal. Hopefully it pumps more power into my 36v TSDZ2b than the Huffy Oslo battery that's currently on the rear rack.

Back